Cost of Windows and Doors

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of building an apartment for renting out,i am curious as to how much i should expect to spend on 8 windows and one front door.I don't need anything fancy just the basics.If anyone could give me the average cost of what i should expect to spend and where might be the best place to purchase in S.D.Thanks.

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
Depends on the material that you're going to use. Wood and glass have different prices, for instance the price for a basic sliding window without grid is around 250-270 sqm

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
I'm considering using the sliding glass windows.As far as the door i want a heavey wood door not sure of the type of wood maybe something local any ideas?

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
Any more information from anyone.The thing is i have someone in SD buying the materials and i want to have a ballpark on what i should expect to spend.Any ifo will be appreciated.Thanks

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Any more information from anyone.The thing is i have someone in SD buying the materials and i want to have a ballpark on what i should expect to spend.Any ifo will be appreciated.Thanks

According to my friend Anjito, a sliding glass window of 3.5'x4' should cost RD6k. A normal door(like a front door) of mahogany installed should be between RD6-7k. He is a maestro of construction and a very good personal friend of mine. If you want to him to give you a price to do work, let me know - warning, he only charges Dominican prices, not "gringo" prices, haha! Only thing is that he really doesn't speak a lot of English, but does know kreyol.

take care

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
By the way, let me ask you fellow DR1ers if you know where can I get doubled-pane windows ?
(preferably in the Saman? Peninsula, but I would be willing to hire a skilled installer from somewhere else...)

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks for the info very helpful.Now i have an idea.I believe my guy in DR have someone that will do the work but if he don't i will pm you Chip.Thanks so much.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sure, just remember an often repeated truth here in the DR, family/friends often charge more for services when one family member comes from out of the country, as they naturally believe they have lots of money to spend.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
GOOD windows and sliding doors are difficult to find. I've been looking and have had some installed with mixed results. Wanting double glazed with different tint, thickness and temper presents even more of a challange along with what material and hardware.

You might call Energia Y Sistema Jimenez Fondeur @ 809-571-4920/809-464-7213 in Pueto Plata. They import and install poly windows/doors that look like wood. Double glazed to your needs/order. Not cheap, but no need for iron bars on windows and are air tight and will stand up to most storms. (Nothing stands up to the "big" one.)

Good luck, Ringo

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
Since we are on the topic the next step is the kitchen and i know many of you live in the DR.I am considering a granite counter top does anyone know the price range,also i need to purchase kitchen cabinets can i have an estimate if anyone knows.I dont have a specific type in mind and open to all suggestions also where might be the cheapest place to purchase these materials in Santo Domingo.Thanks so much.