donating used clothing

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I am coming to Santo Domingo soon. I’ve got at least fifty pounds of used clothing that’s a little worn, but still has all the buttons and I’d probably still be wearing myself if I didn’t have more than enough stuff that’s in better shape. I will also have enough room in my luggage and baggage allowance to bring it with me, and am wondering if there is a need for it there and if so where. I’d like to hear any ideas on the subject.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am coming to Santo Domingo soon. I?ve got at least fifty pounds of used clothing that?s a little worn, but still has all the buttons and I?d probably still be wearing myself if I didn?t have more than enough stuff that?s in better shape. I will also have enough room in my luggage and baggage allowance to bring it with me, and am wondering if there is a need for it there and if so where. I?d like to hear any ideas on the subject.

Yes, there is a great need for theses items here. I would highly recommend dropping the clothes off at a local church, as they will distribute them free of charge. If not, the 100% probablity is that whoever recieves the clothes(in bulk) will resell them to the plentiful poor people here.

mamielizabeth

Feb 9, 2008
...The luggage allowance is such a disadvantage for those wanting to bring things to donate,,on my last trip i took school supplies but could not take all i had collected while planning my trip ,,i was not the only one who encountered this issue ,, someone suggested it was too bad the airlines would not be flexible when u are bringing items for people ...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...The luggage allowance is such a disadvantage for those wanting to bring things to donate,,on my last trip i took school supplies but could not take all i had collected while planning my trip ,,...

What works well for me is to bring the items in a heavy duty cardboard box. No need to bring an empty suitcase home and the box will allow a few more items without going over the weight limit. Make sure to check with your airline as sometimes there are restrictions.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
There are many orphanages that desperately need clothing and shoes of all sizes. If you don't find a place, PM me and I'll meet you if you have kids or adult (for the Tias and workers) clothing you want to donate to Nuestro Peque?os Hermanos orphanage in SPM.
TIA!

CarieRB

May 27, 2007
www.DRMissions.com
My husband and I opened a new orphanage in San Cristobal six months ago. We also run a childrens feeding program, any donations would be a blessing as the needs are great and we are still recovering from Noel. This is our fith year living and working in San Crisobal as missionaries. If you would like more informaion just let me know.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For any who are planning on bringing any kind donations. Please feel free to drop me a line by PM or e-mail and tell me:

1) Your real name
2) Your date of travel
3) Your air carrier
4) Your tour operator
5) Your flight number
6) Your booking number

I will provide you, by e-mail with a letter on Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation letterhead which may assist you in getting an extra baggage allowance from your air carrier. I can't promise anything as the air carrier has the final word but we have a decent record of squeezing out extra allowances.

Gregg
Secretary/Treasurer
BTBCF

P.S. - I always recommend against using boxes as I find it draws Aduana attention to that item. I suggest getting an old suitcase from a flea market or garage sale and leaving it in the DR when you have no further need of it.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
There are many orphanages that desperately need clothing and shoes of all sizes. If you don't find a place, PM me and I'll meet you if you have kids or adult (for the Tias and workers) clothing you want to donate to Nuestro Peque?os Hermanos orphanage in SPM.
TIA!

Chris,

Please contact me at flhanjr@aol.com or (829) 974-7808 ASAP

SMD

Jul 16, 2009
Hi. Is San Cristobal near Puerto Plata? We will be there soon. My son is involved in a high school project collecting clothes for the needy. We have struggled with how to distribute. It seems that an orphanage would be a great way to do that. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SMD

Jul 16, 2009
Donating Clothes

Hi. My family will be traveling to Puerto Plata soon. My son is involved in a project collecting clothes for the needy. We have quite a lot and would like to bring as much as we can. We would like to not only donate the clothes, but be involved to the extent possible in actually distributing the clothes...any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Hi. Is San Cristobal near Puerto Plata? We will be there soon. My son is involved in a high school project collecting clothes for the needy. We have struggled with how to distribute. It seems that an orphanage would be a great way to do that. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

San Cristobal is not near Puerto Plata, it's near Santo Domingo.

John wiliamz

Sep 25, 2010
Usually, i donate my family old clothes once in a year to my maid , watchman , ironing man and keerai-kari in my surroundings first according to their needs [as we personally know about their family, if any surplus remains even after this, i give it to the beggers sitting outside the temple where i use to go and finally to any nearby orphanage. hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 19, 2004
...The luggage allowance is such a disadvantage for those wanting to bring things to donate,,on my last trip i took school supplies but could not take all i had collected while planning my trip ,,i was not the only one who encountered this issue ,, someone suggested it was too bad the airlines would not be flexible when u are bringing items for people ...

I would always suggest that you could always donate your clothes etc to a local charity in your home country and give a cash donation in the DR to a responsible organisation that knows where the real need is. In that way more suitable clothes and other items can be bought locally. The problem usually is not a lack of clothes etc but money to buy them.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
DREAM Project and Supply Donations

The DREAM Project is located near Puerto Plata. If you are able to come to Cabarete(about 30 minutes from Puerto Plata) we always need school supplies for our programs and clothing donations for the local community.

The DREAM Project

Supply Donations

We'd love to have you visit the DEAM Center as well.

Catherine
The DREAM Project