An Overview of Dominican Tax Law

nycgirl

Jul 12, 2004
I live in nyc, and own a condo in santo domingo. I was told there is not an annual property tax. is this true? my property is well below 3,000,000. rd

and how much of an ordeal is it to sell?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
I live in nyc, and own a condo in santo domingo. I was told there is not an annual property tax. is this true? my property is well below 3,000,000. rd

and how much of an ordeal is it to sell?

If the condo's government appraised value is below the 5,000,000 threshold, then you're exempt.

From Guzman Ariza's Tax Overview:
Real Property Tax

A 1% annual tax is assessed on any real property owned by individuals, based on the value of the property as appraised by the government authorities. (Articles 1 to 3 of Law #18-88). Properties are valued without taking into account any furniture or equipment to be found in them. For built lots, the 1% is calculated only for values exceeding RD$5 million pesos. For unbuilt lots, the 1% tax is calculated on the actual appraised value without the RD$5 million pesos exemption. Individuals must pay this tax every year on or before March 11, or in two equal installments: 50% on or before March 11, and the remaining 50%, on or before September 11.

The RD$5 million pesos threshold is adjusted annually for inflation.

The following properties are exempt from this tax:

(1) Built properties valued at RD$5,000,000 or below.
(2) Farm properties.
(3) Properties whose owners are 65 years old or older, who have owned it for more than 15 years and have no other property in their name.
(4) Properties subject to the Tax on Assets.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
If you are to lazy to read the 4 pages of Guzman Ariza , here it is a shorter article about dominican taxes ]

who is too lazy to read the FREE provided professional info provided by the Guzman lawfirm on this legal section should just consult any lawyer and pay the fees and get the answers.
what you are doing i name illegal promoting somebody/maybe yourself?? on the bord.
nasty try for a first time ever posting.
due to that the provided link will be considered not-trusteable and not recommended to use shown services.
we are very happy here with the provided professional and FREE services by Alfredo and Fabio from the Guzman Lawfirm.
get lost
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Jullien

Dec 11, 2010
Very worthwhile Dominican Tax pdf post.
This is a really good read for me.
Thanks for great sharing.

jefrey

Mar 4, 2011
can anyone tell me the laws and fees for moveng my personal belongings household items, tools, vehicles, boat to DR if I get my residency

MarioK

Oct 16, 2011
Good morning everybody,

for to import some computers from USA I?ll have to pay ITBIS in Dominican Republic.
But what about Impuesto Selectivo al Consumo (ISC)? Is this kind of tax additional
to pay and in case of how much it will be?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Although this the law ,there are a few sections that are not being enforced ..For example , those people who come to the DR from another country for the winter and stay for more than 6 months , are not being asked to pay tax on their financial income earned abroad

sophiadcruise

Dec 31, 2013
After going through the above links you have mentioned I almost get all the detailed idea about Dominican Tax Law on the whole. This thread is very rightly recalled an overview of Dominican Tax Law as it have every minute detail of the same.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Recent article by Fabio Guzman for Tax Notes Int?l.

Guzman Ariza & Asociados - The Dominican Republic Law Firm: Guzman Ariza, Attorneys at Law.

This is great info for ex-pats who may be doing business in the DR. The difference between the DR and the US is that currently the DR does not have the computer abilitity to track those who don't pay and should but they are implenting a new system which will close many loopholes.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"LT",...................."Yaah RIGHT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The DR has one of the most regressive tax policies in the WORLD!!!
The "RICH", pay very little in the way of income taxes, the "POOR" pay little or nothing on what they earn.
BUT, and it's a "BIG BUTT", consumption taxes are extremely HIGH!
AND, they just got HIGHER today!!!
18% on many food,personal care items,cleaning supplies,and MORE!
I don't like paying 18% on what my family needs everyday to live, but, at least I can afford it.
The poor Dominicans CAN'T.
Worst part is, the huge taxes paid by the poor, gets them next to no benefits.
Unlike the "Politicos" who DO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MuchoMacho

Feb 20, 2012
Does anybody know what the definition of a non-wage income is?

Individuals who receive incomes from nonwage sources must file a tax declaration every
year, on or before March 31 (article 110 of Regulation
139-98).

phocavitulina

May 17, 2019
Can anyone recommend a tax consultant in Sosua/Puerto Plata/Mocca?
Focus on forestry and agriculture and participation by Europeans in DR. Correspondence should be in English or German.