Visa to the UK

faguens

Mar 25, 2008
I am new to this site. Does anyone know of any Dominican men who have successfully qualifed for entry to the UK? Either by tourist visa or fiance visa.

Last edited by a moderator:

tish

Mar 10, 2007
yep

i am new to this site. Does anyone know of any Dominican men who have successfully qualifed for entry to the UK? Either by tourist visa or fiance visa.

I do. He went in December on a Fiance visa for three months.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm moving your question to the visa forum because that is what this question is about

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Qualification is very difficult to get to the UK.
There is no such thing as a finance visa in UK its an American term.
The best way is to go as a tourist and apply in the UK, then contact one of the many very good lawyers who work in this area of the law...some even work for free but are always very busy as you can expect. You can legally stay upto 6 months but the eviction rate in the UK is very low so to over stay is common.

If you marry in the UK you have a better chance of success, its much harder if you marry here and then try to move. At the moment there is no points system in the UK but there is talk of it being introduced so try and find out what your score is likely to be first....subtle changes can make a big differance. Perhaps the best way is to get a job first which is not as hard as you might think ther are hundreds of agencies that will find you work...but remember do not pay anything up front to any agency in fact its illegal for them to charge you as the client always pays any recruitment fees.

Hope this helps ...also there is a small but lively Dominican presence in London but vey little outsideof it.

Skippy

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My husband. Three times on a tourist visa. Plus three Dominican men, married to British women I know are now living in the UK, who went on a permanent basis.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My husband visited the UK twice before we were married, the first time on a student visa (he attended a language school) and the second on a tourist visa. Since we got married (we live in the DR) the consulate have granted him 5-year tourist visas on request.

faguens

Mar 25, 2008
My husband. Three times on a tourist visa. Plus three Dominican men, married to British women I know are now living in the UK, who went on a permanent basis.

Matilda

Hi, thanks for your reply. Was it easy to obtain the tourist visa for your husband? And how long had you been seeing him before you invited him?

faguens

Mar 25, 2008
If you need for info click here

Hi Anna,

i already have these details, but thanks for that. What i need to know is more detailed, such as if i was to sponsor him, is there a minimum amount of savings that i must have, or minimum annual wage i should be on, to qualify for this.

faguens

Mar 25, 2008
What i would really like to know is more detailed, such as if i was to sponsor him, is there a minimum amount of savings that i must have, or minimum annual wage i should be on, to qualify for this.

faguens

Mar 25, 2008
Hi, thanks for your reply. Was it easy to obtain the tourist visa for your husband? And how long had you been seeing him before you invited him?

Did he come by his own money, or did you help sponsor him?

How long ago was this?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

It was easy enough as we followed all of the rules and provided all the documentation required in a well presented format. I had been with him 11 months the first time, and the subsequent times we were married. All of the information is availbale on the new British embassy website ?Dominican Republic

Matilda

faguens

Mar 25, 2008
Does Anyone Know Of Any Women Who Have Married Dominican Men In The Dr, And Have Successfully Got Them Back To The Uk. Is There A 100% Success Rate With This? Are There Any Spouses That Have Been Refused Entry To The Uk, Even Though They Are Married To A Uk Citizen?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As I said previously, I know of at least 4 who have married Dominican men and they are now all living in the UK. I do not know of any who have failed. But I think the rules may have been or will shortly be tightened up.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It was easy enough as we followed all of the rules and provided all the documentation required in a well presented format. I had been with him 11 months the first time, and the subsequent times we were married. All of the information is availbale on the new British embassy website *Dominican Republic

Matilda

Thanks for the link Matilda, I will add that to the stickies

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
I know a number of Dominicans, male and female, who have married Brits and are now living in England.

The procedure was simplified and speeded up when the current Ambassador took over. He seems to have cut through a lot of the red tape. Appointments seem to be coming through a lot faster - indeed, one of my friends had a VERY brief interview and the visa was ready a couple of days later.
However, the immigration laws are changing in the UK. Anyone thinking of applying for a visa needs to be thinking sooner rather than later.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Does Anyone Know Of Any Women Who Have Married Dominican Men In The Dr, And Have Successfully Got Them Back To The Uk. Is There A 100% Success Rate With This? Are There Any Spouses That Have Been Refused Entry To The Uk, Even Though They Are Married To A Uk Citizen?

Hi faguens

We know many Dominicanos here in the UK. Many have come here on a Spouse visa, which is pretty straight forward as long as you can prove you are financially stable and can support your partner whilst they look for work etc here. On a spouse visa (valid for 2 years) you can work here in the UK.

Also, know others who have come on a holiday visa but it is difficult almost impossible for them to stay here longer than the valid period and there is no legal possibility of them working on this visa. Even if you wanted to marry on that visa, your partner would have to return to the DR and reapply from there. The tourist visa is more difficult to get as the applicant has to prove they have sufficient funds to support their trip AND prove they are likely to return to the DR before the visa expires. As a sponsor you can fund the trip but they have to show they have a reason to return to the DR, a bit complicated.

Some people have also arrived here on a Fiance visa which has been straight forward, if not more expensive and time consuming. Again, working is not permitted on this visa. You can get married here in the UK using this method but then would have to reapply for the Spouse visa to enable the applicant to work here in the UK. Check out the prices etc here

If you have any further questions let me know and I'll try to find out the answers for you
;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
For the tourist visa to work it is definitely easier if you BOTH live here in DR. My husband had to prove:
1. He had at least 1000US$ in the bank and the account showed movement of fiunds in and out over time. (ie I hadn't just put the money in for him)
2. As Saskia said he had a reason to return. ie he owned a business here, a house here etc
3. He had to have a letter of invitation (in my case my mother)

It is very important that it is all presented well and everything is completed properly. I do know of many who have been turned down for tourist visas.

Matilda

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
It is definately not recommended to travel here on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married here in the UK.

I know a MARRIED couple that decided to take their first trip here to the UK on a tourist visa. They decided they wanted to stay longer, thinking they could apply for the Spouse visa here. It was NOT possible, they had to return to the DR after the 6 months tourist visa and reapply for the Spouse visa in the DR.

However, they did get the Spouse visa but it was a very expensive procedure what with visa fees and flights! ;)