shipping from canada to santo domingo

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Hi.

Ever since I got back from my volunteer trip last month (wow...its amazing how time passes!!) Ive been trying to find a way that I can do more for the kids of Villa Bendici?n in Santo Domingo. My family, friends and I have been slowly putting together clothes, school supplies, soap, shampoo, toothpaste etc...to send to Villa Bendici?n but Im not sure how the best way to ship the box/package would be.

Can anyone recommend a reliable shipping company where I can send a box (probably about 50-60 lbs) of clothes and supplies to SD from Canada? Im looking into FedEx but was wondering if there are any other options available. My mom sends a box of things to relatives in Manila on a regular basis and uses a company that specializes in parcels to the Philippines so I was wondering if there is such a company in Canada that does something similar for parcels to the DR.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
thanks for the link bob saunders. ive checked out the site but it looks like they only send from toronto and montreal. i should have clarified that im currently in vancouver but ill contact them anyways to see if there is a way to make it work.

as for fedex...thats a bust. the cheapest quote they could give me is $826 CDN!! ouch!! the contents of the box wouldnt even be worth that much :(

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps if you advertised in your local classifieds, craigslists, etc, and explained it was for a good cause...or just asked around with people you or your family know, you could find someone going on vacation to the DR who would most likely only be taking one bag if only going for a vacation and by most airline baggage allowance policies, would be allowed the 2nd of up to 50lbs for no extra cost. I know from my home province (Nova Scotia), there are many many people heading that way this time of year, not sure if that is the case on your side? Just an idea, as I'm sure most shipping companies you find will be very costly for shipping something of that weight/size.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
thanks for the advice travelhippo...ill try asking around and maybe posting on craig's list. being on the west coast, its hard to find people travelling to the DR as much as people on the east coast but im determined to get these clothing and supplies sent so ill find a way!

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Dhl

Hi, I have used DHL to send documents to Ottawa. And they have gotten there in a range of 2-4 days . Probably you could get a quote from them.
I really like DHL as i've never had any problems with documents or packages.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi, I have used DHL to send documents to Ottawa. And they have gotten there in a range of 2-4 days . Probably you could get a quote from them.
I really like DHL as i've never had any problems with documents or packages.

I am thinking that since the OP syas the box is in the range of 50-60lbs, the cost would likely be prohibitive with DHL too. (especially since she states that the contents arent very high in value).

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
I am thinking that since the OP syas the box is in the range of 50-60lbs, the cost would likely be prohibitive with DHL too. (especially since she states that the contents arent very high in value).

ill check with both peralta and DHL but you're right...cost if definitely a factor. i will see how much it costs to send the box to peralta in montreal or toronto and then to santo domingo but what ive found so far is that its cheaper for me to get on a plane and drop the package off personally! which may not be a bad thing ;)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There are places in the NYC area (I understand that you are in Vancouver) that will ship for around $100 to $125 US. How much would it cost for you to send the box to NY for transshipment?

Also, BushBaby used a service called XMail for a package. As I recall, the price was fairly low. Might be an option as well.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
forget DHL, they are as pricey as FedEx......I sent 70 lbs here from Edmonton and it cost $963, then about rd35,000 at customs.....

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There are places in the NYC area (I understand that you are in Vancouver) that will ship for around $100 to $125 US. How much would it cost for you to send the box to NY for transshipment?

Also, BushBaby used a service called XMail for a package. As I recall, the price was fairly low. Might be an option as well.

I believe Jetblue Airways also ships cargo from JFK to STI and SDQ but I am not sure if it could be sent to them or if it has to accompany the passenger.

JetBlue

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
forget DHL, they are as pricey as FedEx......I sent 70 lbs here from Edmonton and it cost $963, then about rd35,000 at customs.....

YIKES!! that is really expensive :paranoid:

ive been doing some research and just as an FYI to those who may send packages etc...to the DR from the west coast of canada. so far, the cheapest way for me to send a 70lb box to SD from vancouver would be to ship the box via UPS to CPS Continental in Miami ($149.30 CDN) and from there, CPS would ship the box directly to the orphange for $1/lb but the weight of the box cannot go over the 70lbs or else other charges will be incurred.

if anyone else has any other (cheaper and reliable) suggestions, let me know!

thanks again to everyone who posted.

cheers,
sascha

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
UPDATE:

i just wanted to share my experience with shipping a 50lb box of donations to villa bendicion in santo dominingo from vancouver, canada.

i found that the cheapest way to do it was to UPS the box to CPS Continental in miami, FL (cost me about $98 CDN for ground service). it took 7 business days to get to CPS from vancouver then my parcel was sent to SD from miami within another 3-4 business days (the cost from miami to santo domingo was $1/lb). so all in all, it cost about $150 (including taxes) to ship a 50lb box and no customs fees were charged:)!!

i would highly recommend this way of shipping to anyone wanting to send a parcel to the DR from vancouver (or probably anywhere on the west coast).

the CPS website is... CPS Continental | Welcome to our Site. ana at the miami office was really helpful and was always happy to answer my numerous questions!

i only wish i could be there to see the kids open my parcel :classic:

Nasra

Feb 1, 2004
Shipping Personal effects from Canada to Dominican Republic

To all customers willing to ship to Dominican Republic
I used the Peralta Bros. Shipping and let me tell you these brothers are amazing ...they are located in Toronto / Montreal ...I paid $150.00cdns for 1 box 24x24x24 with personal effects and it was delivered door to door....they are reliable and from the time I gave my box to them and arrival (was only 3weeks). Their website is : peraltabroshipping.ca ----> talk to Maximo
416.722.4107 call him and make arragements from where you are to connect with this company.

good luck to you. !!!

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
To all customers willing to ship to Dominican Republic
I used the Peralta Bros. Shipping and let me tell you these brothers are amazing ...they are located in Toronto / Montreal ...I paid $150.00cdns for 1 box 24x24x24 with personal effects and it was delivered door to door....they are reliable and from the time I gave my box to them and arrival (was only 3weeks). Their website is : peraltabroshipping.ca ----> talk to Maximo
416.722.4107 call him and make arragements from where you are to connect with this company.

good luck to you. !!!

do you work for these guys? I've checked your other posts, and most of them are 'pimping' their wares:paranoid: