American Air may charge $25 to check a second bag

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Ah, this would suck !!

CORRECTED - American Air may charge $25 to check a second bag | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

CHICAGO, March 27 (Reuters) - American Airlines, a unit of AMR Corp (AMR.N: Quote, Profile, Research), said on Thursday it may start charging $25 to check a second bag, a move that could spur revenue and cost savings as fuel prices soar.

American, the world's largest airline, said it filed a notice with the Canadian government indicating it may change its bag fee structure in Canada. That country requires 45 days notice to review such a change.

"This filing is only a formality and a decision has not been made by American Airlines to implement a new checked bag fee structure in Canada," a company spokesman said.

If American were to begin charging to check a second bag, it would be the fourth major U.S. airline to make that change. UAL Corp's (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) United Airlines, Delta Air Lines (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) and US Airways Group Inc (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) announced new fees earlier this year.

The airline industry has been battered by soaring fuel costs and low-fare competition that makes it difficult to raise ticket prices. As a result, airlines have been looking for ways to bolster revenue and cut costs.

One popular way to achieve these goals is by charging for items and services that used to be included in the fare. Airlines typically check two bags for free, but analysts forecast all the top carriers soon will begin charging for a second bag check.

American's filing in Canada did not indicate what routes the change might affect. (Reporting by Kyle Peterson)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Apparently this is the direction all the airlines are eventually headed. I was redeeming points for travel a couple of weeks back and the agent told me that this is the case. She did mention one carrier that has already implemented this policy and I stand to be corrected but I recall her saying it was United?

First the jump in reduction from 70lbs to 50lbs, now this...I wonder whats next! Maybe we will need to bring along a jerry can of gas to help fuel the plane;):ermm:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Yes, United does charge $25 for travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada. Will AA try to implement this on their domestic and Caribbean routes ? They might not target the Caribbean routes, because they make most of their money on transporting cargo to certain Carribean destinations, but sometimes figuring out what the airlines would do is quite difficult.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I guess it is unpredictable but I would guess that the others would follow suit. With the airline industry not being in the greatest shape so to speak, they are looking for cost-saving measures as well as ways to weasel an extra buck out of the passengers.
The heavier the load, the more fuel the aircraft requires.

I dont know if this will impact the transportation of cargo in any way as right now this charge only applies to the second piece of checked baggage.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Yes, United does charge $25 for travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada. Will AA try to implement this on their domestic and Caribbean routes ? They might not target the Caribbean routes, because they make most of their money on transporting cargo to certain Carribean destinations, but sometimes figuring out what the airlines would do is quite difficult.

I resent being called cargo:cheeky:

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Afaik.....

This is just being planned on Domestic routes in the USA.....

Por el momento it doesnt affects us...

Regards

STIOP

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Spirit has been charging 20.00USD for every check in bag since last month!!!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Rumor has it they're going to start charging for seat belts. I won't pay because when the guy in front of me reclines his seat into my chest and knees, it serves as more than adequate restraint....:bored:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Rumor has it they're going to start charging for seat belts. I won't pay because when the guy in front of me reclines his seat into my chest and knees, it serves as more than adequate restraint....:bored:

LOL!;) I guess that will be twice the price for passengers requiring the extension!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
More charges to follow

Rumor has it that in the future you may be charged for:
Use of the restroom. Toilet paper is extra but you can swipe your card(I mean for the charge) if that's what you prefer.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Rumor has it that in the future you may be charged for:
Use of the restroom. Toilet paper is extra but you can swipe your card(I mean for the charge) if that's what you prefer.

DRob Rumor has it they're going to start charging for seat belts. I won't pay because when the guy in front of me reclines his seat into my chest and knees, it serves as more than adequate restraint....

Hilarious Stuff!!!! :laugh:

regards

STIOP

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Well, they can just raise their fares and nobody will notice, so 25 USD per bag during the era when oil prices are like the gold is very cheap

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Future Matters: Airlines Will Charge You If You Talk A Single Word;)

So All Cheap Ppl Will Have To Be Quiet During Its Flight Especially To Dominican Republic When Dominican People Clap Or Loves To Have Discussion.

To Clap....airlines Will Charge You A Fee Jajajajaj;)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Future Matters: Airlines Will Charge You If You Talk A Single Word;)

So All Cheap Ppl Will Have To Be Quiet During Its Flight Especially To Dominican Republic When Dominican People Clap Or Loves To Have Discussion.

To Clap....airlines Will Charge You A Fee Jajajajaj;)

I kinda like the idea of a "quiet" flight...I like to sleep at 35 000ft.;)

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Delta will start also charging 25.00usd per second bag check...so please no more ideas for them.....

Next time you may have to bring you our chair to sit and paper toilet.LOL>>LOL

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Spirit charges 20 USD for every checked bag...each way. Remember to add that to their fare when you're comparing. This is getting kind of ridiculous...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
this is ridiculous...next thing you know they will ok with everyone BYO food/drink as they will budget meals out of the trips...man i miss AIR SANTO DOMINGO!
MANGU and RUM!