Diesel or propane???????

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The government have been subsiding the propane gas and raising Diesel and gasoline prices.
This is affecting people that have big investment on Diesel cars.
I'm trying to sell my Diesel van and every body refuse about the fuel system
becouse is impossible to convert Diesel engines to propane.
I agreed with those drivers when the say that working Diesel car will be no benefits for them. Becouse the public transportation rates in this country are calculated on propane gas price.
I have many friends that bought Diesel Jeeps in the past five years and now they are in the same situation I'm. this government is killing the middle class people charging us all the money they subside on the propane. And the electricity that the poor people don't pay.

Propane $59.95 gl./Diesel $152.20 gl. is a big deference.

JJ.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The government have been subsiding the propane gas and raising Diesel and gasoline prices.
I agreed with those drivers when the say that working Diesel car will be no benefits for them. Becouse the public transportation rates in this country are calculated on propane gas price.
I have many friends that bought Diesel Jeeps in the past five years and now they are in the same situation I'm. this government is killing the middle class people charging us all the money they subside on the propane. And the electricity that the poor people don't pay.

JJ.

Well, its SUBSIDIZED Lpg which is 59.95 a gallon, isn't it?
There are talks, and in my opinion rightfully so, to stop the use of subsidized gas in private vehicles.
On the other side, diesel engine powered vehicles may (not all) be converted to bio diesel quite easily for less money and more safely than gasoline powered vehicles to gas. The technology is readily available in the US (kits sell for as little as USD 800.oo and up) but then, the commercial supply of drivable bio diesel is locally not yet guaranteed.

... J-D.

Boawt

Aug 6, 2008
Hello
In my opinion Bio-Diesel is not an answer for DR, this country doesn't process oil to the point of discard, Dominican restaurants recycle frying oil forever so there is never any used oil to burn in a Diesel engine. If we cultivate the oil it would be more expensive then Diesel. Unless someone starts the business of making Palm kernel oil for Diesel engines Dominican Republic certainly has a lot of palm trees and no one is doing anything with them.
Propane is a very good idea. We are working right now in the DR on converting trucks and Diesel generators to propane. It is cleaner and the price is less than half what are paying for Diesel even without the subsidy.
Arturo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello
In my opinion Bio-Diesel is not an answer for DR, this country doesn't process oil to the point of discard, Dominican restaurants recycle frying oil forever so there is never any used oil to burn in a Diesel engine. If we cultivate the oil it would be more expensive then Diesel. Unless someone starts the business of making Palm kernel oil for Diesel engines Dominican Republic certainly has a lot of palm trees and no one is doing anything with them.
Propane is a very good idea. We are working right now in the DR on converting trucks and Diesel generators to propane. It is cleaner and the price is less than half what are paying for Diesel even without the subsidy.
Arturo
Artuor???:ermm:

Please explain how to convert a diesel engine to propane. Gasoline engine, yes. Diesel? I'm guessing not. At least not without lowering the compression ratio about in half at minimum, and that ain't easy. Nor would it make sense.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

JJ.

Don't sell your diesel powered vehicle just yet!!!

Several bio-diesel plants are currently underway, soon to be the suppliers to the home market for heavy equipment and large commercial fleets.

Diesel powered vehicles that today can't make the switch to gas and later to E85 ethanol, will be able to enjoy the same savings with that programme.

The programme will focus first to the agriculture, construction and commercial transportation industries. Later, the local private market will be serviced as well via local established retailers.

The problem is that ANADEGAS and other fuel retailers are trying to force things their way with the gas issue. They don't want to split the services with the gas retailers and as such, the gov will create a new licensing sector to be able to separate gas (natural and LPG), gasoline/diesel/E85 ethanol/bio-diesel and finally electric service retailers in the country.

The DR will not stop producing gasoline and regular diesel! Not for now...

Keep your diesel powered vehicle as bio-diesel will be cheaper per mileage/use than any other form of energy than electrical powered vehicles for a good time to come.

Energy plans of big magnitude take time to implement, if you don't agree with it, take a look at the US and their collapsing energy grid and snail paced energy overhaul since the last eastern blackout.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Several bio-diesel plants are currently underway, soon to be the suppliers to the home market for heavy equipment and large commercial fleets.

I'm curious. Which oilseeds will be used for the biodiesel -- Jatropha? Palm? Soya? Another? Or will it come from used cooking oil, such as the Brazilians are now experimenting with?

What refining capacities are we talking about, what quantities? What blend ratio for the fuel?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm curious. Which oilseeds will be used for the biodiesel -- Jatropha? Palm? Soya? Another? Or will it come from used cooking oil, such as the Brazilians are now experimenting with?

What refining capacities are we talking about, what quantities? What blend ratio for the fuel?
Since I've been excommunicated elsewhere, I'll post this here.

I'm intrigued by this, might be worth a few sheckles to dabble in their stock. Fuel from algae.

Closed Loop Algae Bio Reactor

Corn Bio: 18 gallons per acre per year

Palm Bio: 700-800 gallons per acre per year

Algae Bio: 20,000 gallons per acre per year.

Interesting.....:surprised

Boawt

Aug 6, 2008
Cobraboy
Compression is not by all means the only osbtacle. you are guessing right , it
is not easy. Diesel to propane is possible and I am converting Diesel engines right now. We use technology that enables any Diesel engine run on propane as efficient as 2008 gasoline vehicle.

Regards
Arturo

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Why Diesel is more expensive than gasoline in the US.??

gaspricetoday.jpg

Boawt

Aug 6, 2008
Currently, diesel prices in the U.S. are slightly higher than gasoline. Across the pond, the story has been somewhat different. With the exception of the UK, diesel in Europe has usually been cheaper than gasoline. This was a consequence of European governments' policies on taxing fuels. Trucks and buses run on diesel, whereas cars traditionally ran on gasoline.

Nevertheless, producing diesel is more expensive than producing gasoline. For instance, according to the Spanish Ministry of Energy report on fuel prices, a metric ton of diesel cost about $826 compared to $803 for unleaded during the past month of January.

What Europeans pay at the pump differs a lot depending on the country, and not only because of taxes. Cost price of gasoline is from 47 euro cents/liter in Sweden to 60 euro cents/liter in the Netherlands. The average EU price is about 53 euro cents/liter. In the case of diesel, prices start at 51.7 euro cents/liter in Bulgaria and top 64.2 cents in Italy; the average for the EU is about 60 cents/liter.

Now let's add taxes. The most expensive gasoline in Europe last January was on sale in the Netherlands. The Dutch paid an average of 1.506 EUR/liter compared to 0.917 EUR/liter in Bulgaria. The average was 1.328 EUR/liter. In the case of diesel, Britons paid the most: 1.463 EUR/liter whereas Bulgarians paid 0.924. The average price of diesel in the EU was 1.234 EUR/liter, still cheaper than gasoline but in 14 out of 27 countries, diesel was more expensive than gasoline in January. The signs point toward a continuation of this trend. Spain's diesel became more expensive than gasoline in March, and both France and Italy seem likely to achieve the same price in the near future.

Source: Spanish Ministry of Energy

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Diesel has been de-subsidized in the DR recently and costs almost as much as regular gasoline (Eng: Petrol).
Propane gas will be de-subsidized for personal use vehicles too.
Diesel is the most powerful fuel of the three, thus diesel powered vehicles seem to guzzle less diesel than their gasoline counterpart.
Propane has the less power packed into and therefor gas powered vehicles use more gas than even gasoline.
I think that bottom line, diesel fueled vehicles are still a good option, especially if you factor in the longevity of diesel engines.

... J-D.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I drove this car for three years ( 320,000 kms. in the odometer ) without any problem, powerfull engine, some time I drove the way STI / Cabarete going to the top of the mountain ( La Cumbre Moca ) with seven pax. and 15 lugages in the secund gear slow but safe .
Good maintenance, that all you need in the Diesel engines and your car will be running for ever!!!

paradisetrans.jpg

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I must agree with Bachata relative to the overall economy of owninga deisel powered vehicle. They last in the neighborhood of 3-5 time longer than a gasolene/lpg powered one. Their maintenance is much lower, very few things ever go wrong mechanically, and they just keep on "truckin' along" after the others have "gone south".
I'm looking for a CHEAP deisel powered car/cross-over SUV. Anyone have one for sale and willing to finance it?

TB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
Well, two weeks have passed and still no response from Pichardo to my questions in post #6 of this thread:

How odd.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Well, two weeks have passed and still no response from Pichardo to my questions in post #6 of this thread:

How odd.

Boy oh boy!!!!
Now I need to keep visiting old links just in "case"!! LOL!!!!

Multiple sources will be employed to maximize the output at first.
Once enough of a market is reached, then capital will be easier to come by and fund fully private enterprise to this end.

Just as the SD Metro, the gov must first create the ideal setting so that private investment can be harnessed without having to pull loans for long term into the complete projects.

If it can be turned into anything able to have a Diesel engine go, then it will be explored and used...

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Keith R
Maybe I'm dense this morning or missed something but there is still no answer to your question, just generalities as usual.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Keith R
Maybe I'm dense this morning or missed something but there is still no answer to your question, just generalities as usual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Multiple sources will be employed to maximize the output at first.
Once enough of a market is reached, then capital will be easier to come by and fund fully private enterprise to this end.

If it can be turned into anything able to have a Diesel engine go, then it will be explored and used...

Boy oh boy!!!