construction/maintenance/management

gold83wing

Feb 1, 2008
I am looking to relocate to the north coast, with my wife and 2 teenage girls, PP/Sosua/Cabarete area, 'you know', like everyone else in the world wants to do. LOL
The plan is for me to move down and get settled and then they will come later, probably one year or so.
I have been travelling to the north coast for approximately 15 years in the Sousa/PP area. I am quite familiar with the area.
I have over 30 years experience in all types of construction, my skills include carpentry, tile setting, electrical, plumbing, painting, etc. In my years of experience, I have worked for large land developers, therefore I am quite versed in the maintenance and rental management of properties. I am sure that with all my experience, there must be someone or some company there that needs my expertise.
Full resume and referals available.
Any info or referals would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While that is a nice thing to dream about, you will find that you are competing for work with Haitians and Dominicans that work for $10-15 a day....Can you see yourself living on that?
Possible option> As a supervisor or the construction site. However, there are plenty of "capataces" here for that, too...no training needed, no codes to observe, just years of doing it...(right or wrong, no matter)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you do not have the skill set needed to work here.

HB

gold83wing

Feb 1, 2008
you didnt rain on my parade, we know all those facts, just was thinking that there are some people there with properties that would like them managed and/or maintained by a non local. Basically just looking for info or insight as to the posibilities

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Man I can hear where you are coming from, I know. But the reality is they might "want" good maintenance, but whether or not they would be willing to pay First World prices for it is a whole nuther story...And the demographics work against you.

There are too few non-Dominican home owners to support you. If a complex was owned by a foreign company, they are looking bottom line, and that means Haitians or Dominicans.

The only light I can see is the possibility of getting on board with one of the major hotel chains that are building or planning to build here and see if they would hire you as a supervising foreman to oversee the finishing work done on the woodwork, kitchens, bathrooms etc. Only an overseas hire would get a decent wage that would enable you to live here with your family...

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
, just was thinking that there are some people there with properties that would like them managed and/or maintained by a non local.

Maybe there are. But they would usually feel happy with this being done by someone who has lived here a while, knows the ropes & has contacts, not by someone who is brand new. Sorry but it's probably kinder to tell you that up front. In any event quite a few of the more reputable RE companies now offer this service. Some of these RE companies are run by non locals, but the people they use to do the work are Dominican professionals i.e. carpenters or Haitian labourers.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Along the lines of what HiillBilly was saying. PM me and I can give you a contact of an English company building a huge complex just under the Cable Car line here in Puerto Plata. I was told this project will take a few years. He currently brings folks in from England to supervise the labor fource on all construction matter.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I am sure that with all my experience, there must be someone or some company there that needs my expertise.

The thing is that everyone wants this kind of expertise. Most settle for the cheapest kind of labor they can get. This has been my experience.
I think Hillbilly is right on with his advice.

Sorry but it's probably kinder to tell you that up front.
This is a sweet way of putting it and very sincere.

Even us foriegner's are cheap. We want cadillac service but are only willing to pay volkswagen wages. I see it and live it everyday. The job market here for blue collar workers coming from abroad is sad.
Not only that, but the skills you may possess may not be needed here. Building codes? What's that? Looks solid and straight to me.....
What really gets me is listening to people complain about the shoddy work they got, how they were ripped off on materials and NOW they have to pay again to fix it properly.
Living in the DR has shone some light on me. What I learned and perfected in the states (construction/ maintenance) has little use here except for my own building, hobbies, etc. etc.
My advice is to really research what avenue you want to have a career in, while planning to live here.
Virginian has a good lead for work, no doubt. This project is just up the road from us and is proposed to be a big housing/ resort development.
What you need is a long term, stable situation to provide for your family. Construction jobs here for gringo's are tough to find. Good luck.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
One problem of trying to make it in this country is lack of resources. It is NOT like the US where everything is set-up for customer satisfaction and prompt friendly service. There is no BBB here and contractors and business' do what they well please. Recourse is slim if any.
If one want's to move here, fine, great, wonderful. But do the homework. Look at the classifieds in this area and you will see what is available and what is needed.
Blue collar work force, as Lambada mentioned, is totally covered by local Dominicans and Haitains.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Somehow the gringos have a strange set of dual values. If they deal with a Dominican Professional, they keep thinking they're going to be ripped off. If they deal with a Gringo Professional, they keep thinking the Gringo does not know everything and he is going to overcharge. Funny! ;)