Dajabon crossing to orphanage

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I go to the Dajabon market almost every week. So as far as the Dominican side of the border and the general area near the bridge, I am very familiar with the place and know my way around. I have never actually gone into Haiti, but wondered if anyone on this board has ever crossed that bridge in Dajabon to visit the town on the other side ...or more specific, to visit the school/orphanage in that town. I would like to do this one Friday because it relates and is of interest to me based on my work here in the DR ...I know of a former Peace Corp worker who has supposedly taken vistors accross for the day before, but wanted to see if anyone here has crossed at Dajabon.

I understand there is a fine line between posts related to the DR vs Haiti ...so let me know if I am crossing that line with this question.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I used that border crossing last year. It is closed at night, and opens at 9am I think, well, more or less. There are quite some stamps to get and visa dollars to be paid at both sides of the border. In the morning it's quite busy, and you'll be swarmed by moto-taxis at the Haitian side. The visa-office is just 200 meters, the town (Ouanaminthe) a bit further. I've no been to the orphanage there. What do you want to know specifically?

Reactions: mountainannie

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
market

what day is the Haitian Market?

I used that border crossing last year. It is closed at night, and opens at 9am I think, well, more or less. There are quite some stamps to get and visa dollars to be paid at both sides of the border. In the morning it's quite busy, and you'll be swarmed by moto-taxis at the Haitian side. The visa-office is just 200 meters, the town (Ouanaminthe) a bit further. I've no been to the orphanage there. What do you want to know specifically?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the Border Market

Is held on Mondays and Fridays.

If you get to Dajabon on Thursday, before the close of business, and are only planning a brief visit to Ouanminthe and/or you are going to continue a relationship with the orphanage in Haiti, it might be a good idea to visit the Haitian Consul in Dajabon and get a paper with stamps etc,,,, so that you might - in the future- or perhaps even for that day- skip having to pay the entry and exit fees. It costs $25 on the Dominican side to leave into Haiti, then the Haitians can impose a fee - which will vary depending on how much they estimate they might get but which is, I believe, officially 50 gourdes, then you will pay another fee of $10 to re-enter the DR.

If you have a paper from the Haitian consul, you might be able to just cross over the bridge, wave your official paper, along with your foreign passport. But you I suspect that things are tighter now than last year, so for the first time it would be best to introduce yourself to the border guards and explain your business and offer to pay.

And don't mention that about the PC worker again as they are officially barred from entering Haiti.

And do stay at the Hotel Bonaza on the left hand side coming into town - they have a pool and will take great care of you, give you a lift to the border gate in the morning, treat you like family.

If you want someone to go with you into Haiti and show you around the town, contact Centro Puente near the border gate, which has a sister operation in Wanamet.

Good for you!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We were in Juana Mendez last summer for a judo match...

We took six buses full of kids back and forth, but this was a gummit to gummit deal so no visas passports nada...

I do have the name and tlelphone number of the DR immigration person if need be. Basically, for US citizens, you just walk across and show passport, so I hear...but remember I have not done this on my own for ages...

Let me make a call and check onthis..

Get back to me...

Oh yeah, we were at the school you are referring to, Nice place hard worker and doing some good in an incredible setting...Somebody told me that they have 1,200 kids there.

HB

HB