Can I be helpful?

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
Hi all.
To whom it may concern.

I came to Santo Domingo to take some rest. And I’m actually doing it. I’m slowly studying Spanish …
But, I start to feel bored. So, may be I can be helpful to someone. I perfectly know computers, network protocols and equipment, LAN, internet, some firewalls, some Linux, can help upgrade (downgrade) notebook, transfer windows to different hdd without reinstalling any programs. I can build local/wide area network or can help maintenance existing one, routers, wifi. I have WM communicator with GPS, so if you have questions regarding software for GPS, maps, for WM6 – I will try to answer.
If someone have question or want to do a project and need help I gladly try to.
Please contact me by "Private Messages"
Thank you.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Any thoughts on how to get GPS maps for the DR? I'm in santiago and would LOOOVE map data for my Garmin unit. I would even buy a different unit if I could get local map data.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Why don't you tell us a little more about your mapping experience here in the DR. I might be interested in hiring you for a GPS mapping project.

Do you have any kind of country maps? Or the ability to convert other mapping data into GPS formats?

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
I have right now 2 maps: one for OziExplorer and second for GisRussa.
Both works perfectly for my HTS GPS communicator.
But, map for Ozi I made by myself and it covers only Santo Domingo and it is in gif format and it has unfortunatly little bit wrong scale.
Second one can be converted in .img Garmin format, but it does not have most roads names, because I found it in internet and put names for Zona Colonial roads only.
So, both of them demand of additional job.
I use them both - some taxi drivers do not know santo domingo.
And third map - in .pdf format. Only fon PC.
If someone is interesting I can show all of them.

Thank you.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I have a map of santiago in PDF format which retains all its original data, ie its a vector map. Do you know how to convert this into a garmin map for a GPS? I have access to developers who could probably help with some of the PDF decoding into vector data, but I don't know how to get it into the garmin unit.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Copyrights

Just a thought guys but make sure you are not going to expose yourselves to possible litigation.

If its just for your own use fine but dont advertise it ...if you understand ?

Skippy1

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Its illegal

I know that. It is illegal.

Ok well just so you know.....the rights to publish survey or distribute this information are the sole preserve of the Dominican Government.
If they thought you were doing this for financial gain I am sure you would be in very hot water. There is a reason that you cant buy GPS maps for your Garmin or PDA. The rights are being held by someone else who is waiting for the right time or finances to do this.

As for getting the data it is already avaiable quite easily if you know where to look.....I wont tell you because then I can't be an accomplice should you ignore my advice.

Skippy1

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
So its mr "electric hot showers are dangerous" again? Should I even bother asking for evidence?

FYI I can likely get permission to use the map data here in Santiago. And we have every right to collaborate and map out the country using our own tools. As for this "easily available data".. c'mon dude..

I'll take this offline with Goodvin, I know where this conversation is headed.

One thought: the world can be a great place when you're not always finding reasons why things won't work. I'm fortunate to be a pretty successful self-made entrepreneur. Are you?

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
So its mr "electric hot showers are dangerous" again? Should I even bother asking for evidence?

FYI I can likely get permission to use the map data here in Santiago. And we have every right to collaborate and map out the country using our own tools. As for this "easily available data".. c'mon dude..

I'll take this offline with Goodvin, I know where this conversation is headed.

One thought: the world can be a great place when you're not always finding reasons why things won't work. I'm fortunate to be a pretty successful self-made entrepreneur. Are you?

If you have the contacts fine go ahead and I hope it works out for you......all advice is worth listening to even if you dont agree with it. Finding the reasons why things don't work is my job and profession and I am very good at it too!
as for the last part of your post...yes I am actually but then its vulgar to talk about ones wealth or success to people you do not know so i wont if its ok with you.

Want to go off line ok with me

Skippy1

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
No, its fine. Lets leave it as is. I reached out privately to goodvin, I hope he responds.

I find it a lot more interesting to find ways you can accomplish something than reasons why something won't work.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
No, its fine. Lets leave it as is. I reached out privately to goodvin, I hope he responds.

I find it a lot more interesting to find ways you can accomplish something than reasons why something won't work.

Maybe we have a common purpose then as I do too just not as transparent as you.........c'mon dude

As for the information you really can find it very easily and in less than one week have a working system. A few weeks after that doing some field work and hey presto your own little gold mine if you are brave enough....and its not me I am referring too either.

Try and tone down the rethoric a bit with me and maybe i can help you with some good ideas?

Skippy1

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Skippy I don't want to be unkind but you posted this on another thread..........

No sick, homeless or poor people in the Uk you could help then.
No under priviledge children living with drug addicted parents or orphanges you could volunteer for???

Maybe its the weather you prefer!

Skippy1

to someone whose only offence was saying she wanted to come to DR as a volunteer
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/73990-question-all-expats-4.html#post627364

You might intend your posts to be read in a light-hearted manner, but I'm not surprised if that isn't the way they are picked up by others. There seems to be an abrasive quality in circumstances which don't really warrant it.
No offense intended but just letting you know how it is coming over............seeing as how this thread is called 'Can I be helpful?'

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
If anyone has PPC gps maps of the DR I would be willing to buy them.