Were STILL excited about our home purchase!

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hello all! I followed the thread about the armed robbery in Las Terrenas with some concern as we're purchasing a small villa there-- Just wanted to report that we're STILL excited about our purchase and plan to reinforce the windows and get to know the guards who live/work on our road.

When I wrote about finding and buying our house in 72 hours, I meant no disrespect toward the long-time-posters on this forum who had counseled caution. I've always realized our situation was the exception and not the rule when it comes to buying property-- I'm just thrilled about finding a great house in an unbelievably beautiful setting. I'm an exhuberant gringo!!

I also just figured out how to compliment posters on their comments and I'm going back and "adding to the reputation" of everyone who took the time to respond to my earlier postings-

Thank you in advance for helping me with all of the questions I will continue to post on this immensely helpful forum!
Susan

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Glad to hear you were not deterred in any way and are still reeling in the excitement of your new acquisition.

Good luck and wishing you all the best.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hello all! I followed the thread about the armed robbery in Las Terrenas with some concern as we're purchasing a small villa there-- Just wanted to report that we're STILL excited about our purchase and plan to reinforce the windows and get to know the guards who live/work on our road.

This is all good stuff. :tired: 'the' armed robbery? Was there one more important than all the others? Was there someone really really important involved?
(Chris, playing melodramatic - seems so Californian to me).:cheeky:

Last edited:

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
'the' armed robbery? Was there one more important than all the others? Was there someone really really important involved?

Um...I'm referring to the robbery described 2 weeks ago in this branch that received 70 replies-- I don't understand what you mean by: "someone really really important involved?"

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Um...I'm referring to the robbery described 2 weeks ago in this branch that received 70 replies-- I don't understand what you mean by: "someone really really important involved?"
Chris has to deal with so many threads and PMs, that it becomes virtually impossible to remember every detail.
I remember the thread that you are talking about and am glad that it's all working out well for you and I wish you all the best in establishing your slice of paradise.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
We've almost completed the purchase process which, I'm finding, is a lttle different than how it's done in the US!

Thanks for your good wishes, Sr. Frog!

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Plans

.... and plan to reinforce the windows and get to know the guards who live/work on our road.

Just came home from LT with latest news.
My friend has burglar proofing on all windows.

They (3) were waiting for him outside the house when he arrived there (around 10:30 p.m.), armed with a revolver, knife and a club with barbed wire.
He mentioned that at the police station he was told that two more houses had been attacked the same night in Cos?n....

m'frog

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just came home from LT with latest news.
My friend has burglar proofing on all windows.

They (3) were waiting for him outside the house when he arrived there (around 10:30 p.m.), armed with a revolver, knife and a club with barbed wire.
He mentioned that at the police station he was told that two more houses had been attacked the same night in Cos?n....

m'frog

Couldn't be lemunch's assailants, could it? They were released............

J

John Evans

so what happened.....? the story is quite short on details...or is it meant to scare people

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
News to Scare? Yeah.....

so what happened.....? the story is quite short on details...or is it meant to scare people
I left out certain details.
They might have scared people....

I deem the results to be sufficient report and the good news is that my friend was not harmed (except some bruises from his ties).

m'frog

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

John,
Is it meant to scare people? If one has interests in the immediate area, it should be of concern until the guys are caught & put away.

M'frog communicated
1) who - friend/victim reported to him
2) what - armed robbery by 3 men with weapons waiting outside house
3) when - recently at 10:30pm at night
4) where - Coson
5) why - not mentioned, but one could only speculate

That's enough info for those with interests or potential interests in the area to up their vigilance a little & they can pm M'frog should they want to seek additional info that he may share.

You were against anyone but the victim reporting a crime in the La Mulata thread...
Again, as this type of information often doesn't get reported well (if at all) by the media, and victims aren't always DR1 members - the DR1 grapevine & second hand reporting is an aid when done responsibly.

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
That's enough info for those with interests or potential interests in the area to up their vigilance a little & they can pm M'frog should they want to seek additional info that he may share.
I completely agree.

J

John Evans

sorry about that I wasnt sure if it was a robbery or something else .

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I completely agree.

Likewise. It was factual reporting, max info, min frills, no drama. And plenty to be aware of if one can see it i.e. these ladrones could not break in because of the window proofing so they waited, fully armed, for owner to return. Therefore they were confident enough (of themselves, likelihood of being caught or not, likelihood or not of being detained by judicial system etc etc) to do so. It's all there for the observant.

Worrying this. That area had a bad time & then it seemed to die down. Now it looks like it's picking up again. I haven't seen anything in the papers btw - no big surprise.