Best auto mechanic in Sosua

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I can recommend a very solid and reasonable place in Sosua. Discovered them accidentally after having been taken big time on my Infinity by some other local shops.

They are located on a tiny side street away from eyes if you turn left from Pedro Clisante just before Europa Hotel and go all the way down. It will be on your left side. Big shop.

Russian owner and Russian mechanics.

Their advantages:

1. Manager/chief mechanic Sergei for many years had his shop in Russian Far East that is almost Japan and is very good with Japanese cars.

2. Unlike NA mechanics they do not "replace" a part right away, but first try to "repair" it if it will be cheaper.

3. They have very good connections to NA suppliers of used parts and usually get them delivered within 7-10 days. Sometime difference between OEM new parts and used part (high quality ) is huge. For instance starter for my Infinity is $380 OEM and $70 used one with warranty.

So, if the customer wants to save and willing to go for a used one - they can do it.

4. The owner is willing to invest in equipment and technology to keep improving quality of work.

5. Trying to earn their spot and good reputation in the market currently they offer very low prices.

In my opinion they defenitely are worth checking at least.

Just in recent days I witnessed them fixing correctly Mitsubishi Galant (alternator problem, ), Honda Element ( rear suspension), Toyota Echo (cooling and A/C). And exhaust system/ brake job on my Infinity.

Very hard working and responsible people. I can recommend them whole heart.

J

John Evans

I would also recommend Gregs Garage just outside sosua abajo there is a website
Greg's Garage

he speaks english german and spanish

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i don't know what kind of a business is Greg running?! i called to ask how much is he charging for an oil change on a Mitsubishi Montero and his reply was that he doesn't discuss prices over a phone???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i don't know what kind of a business is Greg running?! i called to ask how much is he charging for an oil change on a Mitsubishi Montero and his reply was that he doesn't discuss prices over a phone???
Does he know you, Liam?
I think if I asked him that question, he would tell me, but I do understand that it is a somewhat world wide business practice, that they might not want to give exact prices over the phone, to circumvent the competition "spying" on them.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Does he know you, Liam?
I think if I asked him that question, he would tell me, but I do understand that it is a somewhat world wide business practice, that they might not want to give exact prices over the phone, to circumvent the competition "spying" on them.

I understand your point Rocky but one may look at it that there are two prices. One for the gringo and one for the local.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I understand your point Rocky but one may look at it that there are two prices. One for the gringo and one for the local.
Greg is a gringo himself and as best as I know, so are all his clients.
I guess that Dominicans go to Dominican mechanics, as I have surely been to Greg's over 50 times and have yet to see a Dominican client there, so the premise of having a two tiered price, one for gringos and one for locals, does not apply.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Greg is a gringo himself and as best as I know, so are all his clients.
I guess that Dominicans go to Dominican mechanics, as I have surely been to Greg's over 50 times and have yet to see a Dominican client there, so the premise of having a two tiered price, one for gringos and one for locals, does not apply.

Over 50 times??? to fix the same problem, or having some beers?? ;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Over 50 times??? to fix the same problem, or having some beers?? ;)
I have known Greg for some odd 15 years.
He maintained my trucks when I had the fruit & veggie biz.
They were new trucks, so for the most part it was just oil changes and the like, but I did that every 6 weeks or so.
50 times may have been conservative.
It's likely in the 100+ area.
I did not join this thread to dispute who may or may not be the best mechanic in Sosua.
I only interjected for Liam's post to ask him a question, to which he has not yet responded.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have known Greg for some odd 15 years.
He maintained my trucks when I had the fruit & veggie biz.
They were new trucks, so for the most part it was just oil changes and the like, but I did that every 6 weeks or so.
50 times may have been conservative.
It's likely in the 100+ area.
I did not join this thread to dispute who may or may not be the best mechanic in Sosua.
I only interjected for Liam's post to ask him a question, to which he has not yet responded.

Yeap I know... AND he has the computer to connect to the car. Greg is cool, always done a good job.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i do not know Greg, but nonetheless, i do not see a reason for not giving me the price? if i know a place is for example selling TVs, and i'm interested in buying one, why wouldn't they tell me over the phone how much they charge for a TV?! i'm currently paying 1800 RD for an oil and filter change, and wanted to know his price. :bored::bored::bored:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i do not know Greg, but nonetheless, i do not see a reason for not giving me the price? if i know a place is for example selling TVs, and i'm interested in buying one, why wouldn't they tell me over the phone how much they charge for a TV?! i'm currently paying 1800 RD for an oil and filter change, and wanted to know his price. :bored::bored::bored:
Well Plaza Lama will not give me the price of a TV over the phone.
It can be a bit frustrating, as I know that I'm not a corporate spy, and I sure as heck don't want to drive all the way to Santiago without good reason, but that's the way it is and it's a very common business practice.
I have worked in a few industries, where it was the house policy to not give quotes over the phone.
Greg obviously subscribes to that concept and it should not be attacked with a thumbs down header.
Most folks would consider it a wise business practice.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i'm currently paying 1800 RD for an oil and filter change, and wanted to know his price

That's double the price of "Quick Lube" in SD.

I pay RD$950 in Santo Domingo for my Nissan Pathfinder.
Using a Fram filter and Mobil oil.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i've heard a few people recommend i think the place is called Electronic Auto, it's near the Sosua Ocean Village entrance.

Rocky, i had no intention of attacking Greg in any way, i just found it weird he wouldn't give the price of his service to a potential costumer. if i called your bar and asked how much is the pizza, would you tell me, or would you assume i'm a corporate spy working for Alberto's Pizza? :glasses::glasses::glasses:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i've heard a few people recommend i think the place is called Electronic Auto, it's near the Sosua Ocean Village entrance.

Rocky, i had no intention of attacking Greg in any way, i just found it weird he wouldn't give the price of his service to a potential costumer. if i called your bar and asked how much is the pizza, would you tell me, or would you assume i'm a corporate spy working for Alberto's Pizza? :glasses::glasses::glasses:
Restaurants give prices on the phones, specially when they are in the delivery business.
I am guessing that you are not familiar with the no price disclosure policies over the phone, that many adhere to.
It was like that for us when I worked in electronics, as well as in the automotive trade.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Rocky you might be right, i just figured if i owned a garage and thought my prices and service are superior to the competition i'd advertise the fact everywhere, instead of hiding it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky you might be right, i just figured if i owned a garage and thought my prices and service are superior to the competition i'd advertise the fact everywhere, instead of hiding it.
I do understand your perspective and have been frustrated myself by the unwillingness of vendors over the phone, to quote me prices, conversely, I have worked in industries that warranted it as a common practice.
With regards to Greg, he surely is not the cheapest in town, as Dominican mechanics will work for less.
On the other hand, I have confidence that he will use top grade oil and filters and not forget to tighten everything up.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Indy Tech

Apr 9, 2008
www.greggarage.com
If you come in for an oil change only ,then i will only charge you the oil and filter. Need more than that done then you start to pay for the labor.
So for a Montero 3.0 will run you about 1200 for a basic oil change,
I will give prices over the phone ,I'm sure you talk to my body man Daniel (my nephew)
that has no idea what i charge.

Greg's Garage

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
If you come in for an oil change only ,then i will only charge you the oil and filter. Need more than that done then you start to pay for the labor.
So for a Montero 3.0 will run you about 1200 for a basic oil change,
I will give prices over the phone ,I'm sure you talk to my body man Daniel (my nephew)
that has no idea what i charge.

Greg's Garage

thanks for clearing it up.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Getting back to the thread

I also highly recommend Stefan (German Mecanic) in Los Ceros. I also understand why it is very difficult for a mecanic to give prices over the phone. I can just see the face of a mecanic that quoted a price for an oil change and when the person gets there, the drain plug on the pan was welded in place by the former mecanic.

Last edited:

Indy Tech

Apr 9, 2008
www.greggarage.com
I also highly recommend Stefan (German Mecanic) in Los Ceros. I also understand why it is very difficult for a mecanic to give prices over the phone. I can just see the face of a mecanic that quoted a price for an oil change and when the person gets there, the drain plug on the pan was welded in place by the former mecanic.

Nice one and seen it, but customer will understand that then labor starts right there.