Family hotel, colonial zone

flick

Oct 28, 2006
I need a family hotel in or around the colonial zone for two or three nights. Any ideas?
Slainte.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I was just in SD for a few nights for the same purpose last week ...Hotel Discovery seems nice ...its a newer building, and its right next to the start of Calle El Conde, so the location is perfect. They have a web site: ::: HOTEL DISCOVERY :::

this is also a good web site that lists several hotels near the colonial zone:

Hotels in Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo, dominican Republic

If you want to go cheap and don't mind a 7-10 minute walk to Calle Conde there is a nice, quiet hostal called "Hostal La Primaveral La Mansion" ...this is where we stayed ...rooms are very basic, but clean and its cheap, about $25-30 a room. Bathrooms have hot water, the hotel has a small patio with tables, and serve good breakfast (not included) ...its about 2 blocks south of the palace, which makes it easy to see that sight too. Very quiet neighborhood.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
the hotel discovery is in an excellent location and is pretty nice.

also check out the mercure on el conde and the coco boutique hotel at Coco Boutique Hotel About. ive stayed at all 3 hotels and the coco boutique was by far my favorite.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Sascha what did you like about the Coco? I was thinking of staying there the next time I went to SD. The pictures look great. I usually stay at the Ovando or it's sister hotel. (I can't remember it's name.)

Could you describe it or your experience?

Thanks

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
Sascha what did you like about the Coco? I was thinking of staying there the next time I went to SD. The pictures look great. I usually stay at the Ovando or it's sister hotel. (I can't remember it's name.)

Could you describe it or your experience?

Thanks

sorry for the late response...i didnt realize that there was a post directed at me.

as for the coco boutique hotel...what didnt i love about it!! its in an excellent location right between las damas and isabel la catolica. its in a quiet area in front of small park. its a 2-3 minute walk from el conde. the rooms are beautifully decorated and extremely clean and no detail is overlooked! also, the breakfast is by far the best ive had in santo domingo and definitely better than the breakfast buffet at the mercure.

the owners, elizabeth and eduardo are excellent and eduardo makes the best cocktails in the zona colonial. they have an amazing rooftop patio with balinese beds that has a great view of the area. staying at the hotel makes you feel like you're in a 5 star luxury hotel in south beach and its very different from anything you might find in the area for a very affordable price.

if you havent already...check out my review (and the other great reviews) on tripadvisor. coco boutique hotel is the #2 hotel in santo domingo and for good reason!

Coco Boutique Hotel (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

pm me if you have any other questions.

cheers!

nikkanny

Jun 5, 2007
GO to trip advisor and it will give you reviews on whatever hotel you like. Some of the top 10 are small family owned. Hotel Atarazana looks like the best, reasonable prices too, breakfast included.

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005