Metro tour bus pickup

coolemr

Apr 3, 2008
Where in Santo Domingo do you board the Metro tours bus to Puerta Plata/Sosua? I need the intersecting streets.Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Metro Station is located just off Winston Churchill near the corner of 27 de Febrero, in back of a huge shopping Mall....Not Lama, on the other side.

HB

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
HB or anyone else...how much does this cost and is there a schedule of places they go posted on this board somewhere? TIA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
If you are a google earth user you can copy and paste below coordinates into your "fly to" window a click on the "magnifying glass" to see the exact location of the Santo Domingo Terminal of Metro and also (alternatively) Caribe Tours:
  • Metro, Santo Domingo:
18?27'52.96"N, 69?56'11.71"W
  • Metro, Puerto Plata:
19?47'41.07"N, 70?41'12.83"W
  • Caribe Tours, Santo Domingo:
18?28'33.93"N, 69?54'26.19"W
  • Caribe Tours, Puerto Plata:
19?47'30.05"N, 70?41'52.74"W

Trip (Santo Domingo-Puerto Plata) distance is about 220km and averages 3 1/2 to 4 Hrs (as opposed to the advertised 2 1/2 Hrs).

... J-D.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
What is the better of the two? Caribe Tours or Metro? Does anyone have any experience with these companies? I will be making a weekend trip to Santo Domingo from Puerto Plata.

Thanks,

curlyq

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Metro is nicer and slightly more expensive. Its station is in the modern centre of the city (near Churchill & 27) while Caribe is on 27 & Leopoldo Navarro.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks chirimoya

Metro looks nicer, but just wanted an opinion. How far is the Metro Station from Playa Dorada?

curlyq

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks chirimoya

Metro looks nicer, but just wanted an opinion. How far is the Metro Station from Playa Dorada?

curlyq

Metro is about half way closer to Playa Dorada as far as driving TIME goes. As far as cab ride cost, it won't make a difference. Distance wise Metro may be about 2/3's away.

Metro is said to be the "finer" service of both. While I like the company and usually prefer them, the difference is not sooo big actually, IMHO. Dominicans who feel to belong to a higher cast, prefer Metro, mainly because they still think that Caribe Tours is for Chopos (which actually prefer La Javilla and simila cheaper companies which allow food being eaten inside the ride, a practice that is now forbidden in Caribe Tours buses just as well as in Metro transports). Actually I mostly find that it is the color scheme that makes it look "cleaner".
Caribe Tours, offers the advantage of running an hourly (on the top of the hour) schedule during the whole day, both ways... The Metro schedule is a little less easy to memorize.
On the other hand, Metro stops less. E. g: SDQ-POP will only see one stop in STI (no, not at the airports), while Caribe tours will stop twice in STI and once in La Vega and has been spotted to stop on the highway exit to Bonao lately. Interestingly, their driving time is not much different... Metro drivers may life longer :) thou.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
FYI. Playa Dorada location:
If you are a google earth user you can copy and paste below coordinates into your "fly to" window a click on the "magnifying glass" to see the exact location

Playa Dorada (Mall parking) is:
19?46'7.04"N, 70?38'36.83"W

Coordinates for the terminals in question are posted above in an earlier post in this thread.

Actually, the distance the distance difference is less than I stated above:
Playa Dorada -> Metro = 6km
Playa Dorada -> Caribe Tours = 7km

... J-D.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks J D,

So with how long is the ride with the stops? Am I looking at more than four hours?

curlyq

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks J D,

So with how long is the ride with the stops? Am I looking at more than four hours?

curlyq

Puerto Plata - Santo Domingo?
Well, as stated on the previous page (http://www.dr1.com/forums/626092-post6.html) under normal conditions 3 1/2 to 4 hours, average... both companies. Although, keep in mind that Caribe Tours drives further INTO Santo Domingo.

Bad weather, current or recent as well as rush hour hits and holes being dug for the Metro in Santo Domingo and at times but generally to a lesser extent also Santiago, are among the most likely issues which may affect that average adversely.

... J-D.