mean looks?

bk_d

Apr 4, 2008
hi-

i'm new here and am visiting las terrenas. can anyone explain why people who live here, dominicans and haitians alike, seem to give you such nasty looks when you walk by in town and ride by on motos?

thanks!

bk_d

Apr 4, 2008
i'm usually wearing sunglasses. seriously has anyone else noticed this?

bk_d

Apr 4, 2008
yeah i tried that. i've been met with an inordinate amount of sexual harassment and then mean stares. i take it from your comment that your experience has been different.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hi-

i'm new here and am visiting las terrenas. can anyone explain why people who live here, dominicans and haitians alike, seem to give you such nasty looks when you walk by in town and ride by on motos?

thanks!
it is highly unusual, in fact, it's unheard of.
I can't even venture to guess why this would be happening to you.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Why dont you give us a scenario? sounds like you are in a touristy type area and these people are working and trying to get some pesos. I couldnt imagine why they would nasty or rude to you.

Maybe if you can give us a more exact example?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i've been met with an inordinate amount of sexual harassment
Is it safe to conclude from the above posted comment, that you are female?
If so, are you wearing very revealing clothing?
Are you dressed in any unusual fashion?
Any chance that you can post a pic of what you look like when you walk around or go by on a moto?

bk_d

Apr 4, 2008
i'm in las terrenas, and every time i go get groceries in more "local" markets (not supermercado lindo or the mini-market), or walk around town near the taina market people inevitably give me stone-faced extremely inquisitive looks.

i am beginning to wonder if it's like a general mode of cultural interaction. i'm from a fairly mean city in the united states and people don't mean-mug you this much even there.

bk_d

Apr 4, 2008
ha-no photo forthcoming, sorry.

but yes, i am a woman and i don't wear anything nearly as revealing as what i've seen tons of others hear wearing. it's a pretty standard shorts and tank-top combo for me.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Maybe you are "Feisima", ugly?? or maybe is all in your head or maybe you should take off the glasses maybe they distort your view, i don't know, this is just weird.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
take off the glasses maybe they distort your view,
You know, that's actually a real possibility.
I've had sunglasses that made things look wonderful and others, not so nice.
Could it be????
Of course, I'm grabbing at straws here, as it's way weird. (assuming it's on the level)

J

John Evans

here s a selection of looks to choose from
facial_landing.jpg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
people inevitably give me stone-faced extremely inquisitive looks.

Sort of staring fixedly without smiling? This is normal until you smile & then they smile, usually. I have a question, if you don't mind. How do you define 'an inordinate amount of sexual harassment'? Is this pssting at you? Staring? Touching? Fondling? Worse? Once I know your definition I think I might be able to help clarify whether what you're getting is normal for here or something out of the ordinary. By the way, do you speak Spanish? Have you asked any of the harassers concerned why they are doing whatever it is they are doing?