Barcelona - Anyone have a similar story?

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Anyone have of a similar story or input?

My Dominicana girlfiend, now ex girlfiend, recently moved to Barcelona, Spain on a work visa. She surprised me during one of our regular phone conversations (typical long distance relationship with regular visits that lasted a few years and yes, I was helping her out financially) that she got a visa to work in Spain and was going to work as a waitress in a restaurant that was owned by a Dominicano relative.

I have since learned that what she told me, as well as what she told her family about her job in Spain, may not be completely true after all. Apparently there are several thousand Dominicans currently living and working in Spain and that a few may not be working in regular up front jobs, but rather working in the adult entertainment industry. (Kudos to those who truly are on the up and up and working and living a meaning full life in Spain, this is certainly not to downplay those Dominicans who truly are genuine and hard working).

My EX left behind, in Santo Domingo, two of the most adorable children that many wannabe parents would die for to have, to be looked after by her mother (abuela) while she supposedly worked hard in a restaurant to earn money to send home to Santo Domingo.

A reliable source in Santo Domingo has since told me that she was sponsored to work in Barcelona in adult entertainment by someone from Barcelona that she had previously met in Santo Domingo.

I hate to believe this is true as I have put sooooooooo much into our family relationship over the last few years.

Input and suggestions about Barcelona lifestyles welcome.

Johannes77

Feb 7, 2008
I am very knew at this interesting forum and know nothing about the DR (been there two weeks). I also hope you are able to understand my english :).

I would like to comment on the issue of the visa. I am lawyer in Sweden not Spain but the immigration and visa recuirements are governed by EC law. Although there is a possibilty that the rules in Spain could be a little different (these rules cant differ much) it is generally speaking not easy for a non EU resident to get a work permit in the EU.

In the nordic countries for instance - if you are a Dominican or of some other nationality of which the European Union labour regulations does not approve (there are gradings and Dominicans are at the bottom) - you need to show that you have qualities that cant be found here. You employer has to show that he cant find someone local (European) who has the ability to perform the task at hand. A Dominican would never get a visa in Sweden to work in a restaurant.

I also know that Spain has tons of illegal immigrants working in restaurants and manual labor.

Furthermore the idea of the EC labour law regulations is to protect the jobs so that basically only Europeans get jobs in Europe (if you are not a scientist, actor or something like that). In short be supicious about that visa.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Mom in Spain

....working in the adult entertainment industry....left behind, in Santo Domingo, two of the most adorable children .... to be looked after by her mother (abuela) while she supposedly worked hard in a restaurant to earn money to send home to Santo Domingo.

Let's hope the latter is the case.

We must not condemn women who go and work overseas as so many do the same trade here earning much less.
She may not have been aware of the work which awaited her, many are tricked into it (I forget the high percentage of Dominicanas in Spain who work as prostitutes, a number given by a Dominican politician).
The sad part are the children being without her mother.
We know quite a number of those cases, very sad.

m'frog

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This happens quite a lot in Spain, and not just with Dominican women. They're told they're getting a respectable job and end up forced into the sex industry. Some go to look for a respectable job and end up in the sex industry anyway. And then there are others who go directly into the sex industry. Some of the female Dominican passengers on flights to Spain certainly look the part.

Johannes77

Feb 7, 2008
This happens quite a lot in Spain, and not just with Dominican women. They're told they're getting a respectable job and end up forced into the sex industry. Some go to look for a respectable job and end up in the sex industry anyway.

This type of 21 th century slave trade occurs all over Europe. The victims though mostly Eastern European women.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
the sex industry is alive all over the world with dominican women not just in Spain. as a frequent traveler to Costa Rica/Panama, dominican women are becoming (or have been) an integral part of the sex industry in San Jose/Panama City as well as other parts.

Johannes77

Feb 7, 2008
Generally speaking I think there must be many tragic cases among the "visa chasers" who succed in getting a visa of some sort. (sorry if I am off topic)

Feb 15, 2005
Anyone have of a similar story or input?

My Dominicana girlfiend, now ex girlfiend, recently moved to Barcelona, Spain on a work visa. She surprised me during one of our regular phone conversations (typical long distance relationship with regular visits that lasted a few years and yes, I was helping her out financially) that she got a visa to work in Spain and was going to work as a waitress in a restaurant that was owned by a Dominicano relative.

I have since learned that what she told me, as well as what she told her family about her job in Spain, may not be completely true after all. Apparently there are several thousand Dominicans currently living and working in Spain and that a few may not be working in regular up front jobs, but rather working in the adult entertainment industry. (Kudos to those who truly are on the up and up and working and living a meaning full life in Spain, this is certainly not to downplay those Dominicans who truly are genuine and hard working).

My EX left behind, in Santo Domingo, two of the most adorable children that many wannabe parents would die for to have, to be looked after by her mother (abuela) while she supposedly worked hard in a restaurant to earn money to send home to Santo Domingo.

A reliable source in Santo Domingo has since told me that she was sponsored to work in Barcelona in adult entertainment by someone from Barcelona that she had previously met in Santo Domingo.

I hate to believe this is true as I have put sooooooooo much into our family relationship over the last few years.

Input and suggestions about Barcelona lifestyles welcome.

My heart goes out to you Yachtmaster. What I gathered from your post is that you really had opened your heart to this girl and her family (children). Personally, it would left a scar in my heart where I had let her life enter.
Wow.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I did not get the impression that this young lady went to Barcelona and did not know what she was going to do.

Sad when that is the case, but from the OPs' post it seems as if she already knew what she was getting into before she went to Spain.

So a question to Yachtmaster-was she dabbling in this lifestyle when she was home that you know of?

This happens to quite a few guys. They meet a woman, are unaware that they indeed are working as prostitutes in the DR and find out the hard way, when one of her clients puts photos of her in action up on the internet.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is pretty common knowledge among the Dominicans that girls that go to Spain are Putas. There are exceptions to every rule, but not too many here.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mas viejo que el diablo!!

Young Dominican females relocating to a foreign country with an explaination to "work" as a "caregiver", as a "maid", as a "bank teller", as a "nanny", as "anything" that has NOTHING to to with selling their bodies, has been "alive and well" for generations!!.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND when all goes well...they are NOT shy to bring their daughters, sisters and female friends and introduce them to their "maid" world!!.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
So a question to Yachtmaster-was she dabbling in this lifestyle when she was home that you know of?

This happens to quite a few guys. They meet a woman, are unaware that they indeed are working as prostitutes in the DR and find out the hard way, when one of her clients puts photos of her in action up on the internet.

Yes, so I found out, much to my despair but not on the internet. I must say that I truly believed that when I first met her, she was a single mother and a person truly in need and was serious about developing a lasting relationship. She was pretty genuine at first. However, as time went by she obviously went astray for whatever reasons......Unfortunately, she does not realize what long term gains she has passed up for whatever short term gains she thought were important to her at the time.

She made one big mistake which turned out to be two huge mistakes on her part. Firstly, I was taking Spanish language classes in Santo Domingo and needed a taxi driver to shuttle me back and forth between her apartment and the school. She set me up with her regular taxi driver which turned out to be THE big mistake of her life. As the days went by, the taxi driver became comfortable with me and realized that I may not be the stupid gringo that some Dominicana chicas often look for, and started to fill me in on the details of what my girlfriend was doing in my absence and yes she was living the life of a puta, leaving her kids at home in the evenings with the trabajadora (housekeeper) while she partied the nights away. Apparently one of the hombres she partied with owned some adult entertainment clubs in Barcelona, Spain and ended up sponsoring her to work in Spain.

The second part of her mistake was that her taxi driver turned out to be rather well connected and has since introduced me to many other people in Santo Domingo including many beautiful single women as well as some of his own family members including his children, his brothers and their families. We have surprisingly, since become very good friends. On my last trip to Santo Domingo, I spent a lot of time with the taxi driver, his two children and his brothers and their families and had an absolutely fantastic time.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I wonder why he told you that. Interesting. There is an interesting movie called Princesa. It's from Spain and it's about this topic. I didn't realize that it was such a common occurence. Sad.

Feb 7, 2007
It's just that some people can't stand seeing other people being abused, especially if they become their friends (dominicans becoming friends with gringos) and they (dom.) see them (gring.) being honest, wholehearted, good persons "sin maldad"... then, even some family members start to "leak" the information....

And this Dominicana-Gringo deception stuff is... more often common than not.

Levels of Deception thread is a good starting read.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I didn't think that Dominicanas going to Spain to become putas was that common... not the level of deception.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I didn't think that Dominicanas going to Spain to become putas was that common... not the level of deception.

They were already putas before they go to Spain(nitpicking I know, just wanted to clear that up). They go to other countries to ply their trade once they hear they can make more money per customer and they meet someone who can facilitate the visa process for them by offering them sham jobs and whatever else is involved.

For example, in certain parts of the capital of Costa Rica the going rate for these women is $100 US dollars PER HOUR.

Curacao is also a very popular destination for these women to work in strip clubs, and they make more money than in the DR. Spain is no different.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
OK... I was unaware that Dominicanas went anywhere in the world to continue their specific trade ???? I'm surprised that they aren't flagged and not permitted in. I know that Spain is having a problem with the DDP gang... Dominicans Don't Play. I guess they are their children.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No es verdad!

It's just NOT true that they were putas BEFORE leaving the DR!...At least NOT in the case I "spoke" about a few years back!.

MANY times young girls are lied to....They are told they will be working as dancers (or whatever) and when they get to their destination, BOOOOM, they are forced to sell their bodies!.

The case that I personally know about (and posted here) was about this girl in my old neighborhood who was told she was going to Greece as a dancer with a group of other dancers...I once even witnessed the girls rehearsing in her home's patio (while on vacation and I visited her family's home).

They were ALLLLL happy happy....When I told her to be careful and to remember those horror stories people talk about.....all she said was that she was just going to dance and that's it.

This girl was NOT a puta before she left to Greece....Her family was one of the most respected families in the neighorhood (still is)....ALLLL her brothers and sisters (except for one) are very well-educated, liked and professionals......They lived a good life. BUUUT:

I guess she wanted to be more independent.

Needless to say, she did started dancing but mainly in men's clubs, even though she was told it was going to be tasty shows with no nudity....YEAH right!.

In time, she was lucky one club owner (whom I am sure was her john also)took a liking to her beauty and married her...Then that's when the REAL fun started!.

She then became a "club promoter" and made trips to the DR to recruit new "dancers" for the clubs she promoted!!.

She went as far as taking her sister and daughter back to Greece with her. The sister "danced" and the daughter did NOT, so she claimed.

That was a few years ago and I don't know what happened to them....When I visit her parent's home, I don't ask about her/them and the family is still too ashamed to mention her/them!.

To the family, ALLLL of them became persona non-grata, shameful people....Labeled.....Blacklisted, if you will!!.

Actually, the last time I saw her older brother, a University Professor, he asked me to "please don't bring their names up when we get to my parents house".

So there you go, NOT all were putas before leaving......BUT did became one while there and instead of coming back home, decided to keep selling their bodies, even after knowing that their family were going to turn their backs on them for the shame they brought the whole family!.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
It's just NOT true that they were putas BEFORE leaving the DR!...At least NOT in the case I "spoke" about a few years back!.

MANY times young girls are lied to....They are told they will be working as dancers (or whatever) and when they get to their destination, BOOOOM, they are forced to sell their bodies!.

The case that I personally know about (and posted here) was about this girl in my old neighborhood who was told she was going to Greece as a dancer with a group of other dancers...I once even witnessed the girls rehearsing her home's patio (while on vacation and I visited her family's home).

They were ALLLLL happy happy....When I told her to be careful and to remember those horror stories people talk about.....all she said was that she was just going to dance and that's it.

This girl was NOT a puta before she left to Greece....Her family was one of the most respected families in the neighorhood (still is)....ALLLL her brothers and sisters (except for one) are very well-educated, liked and professionals......They lived a good life. BUUUT:

I guess she wanted to be more independent.

Needless to say, she did started dancing but mainly in men's clubs, even though she was told it was going to be tasty show with no nudity....YEAH right!.

In time, she was lucky one club owner (whom I am sure was her john also)took a liking to her beauty and married her...Then that's when the fun started!.

She then became a "club promoter" and made trips to the DR to recruit new "dancers" for the clubs she promoted!!.

She went as far as taking her sister and daughter back to Greece with her. The sister "danced" and the daughter did NOT, so she claimed.

That was a few years ago and I don't know what happened to them....When I visit her parent's home, I don't ask about her/them and the family is still too ashamed to mention her/them!.

To the family, ALLLL of them became persona non-grata, shameful people....Labeled.....Blacklisted, if you will!!.

Actually, the last time I saw her older brother, a University Professor, he asked me to "please don't bring their names up when we get to my parents house".

So there you go, NOT all were putas before leaving......BUT did became one while there and instead of coming back home, decided to keep selling their bodies, even after knowing that their family were going to turn their backs on them for the shame they brought the whole family!.

I find that very sad...the lengths some people will go to in order to chase the $$$$. They lose sight of reality and in turn, their dignity and self-respect too.