volunteer/teaching/leadership opportunity

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I am currently finishing a 2 year volunteer commitment here in the DR. My husband and I live in Monte Cristi and work for an American non-profit ... I am in charge of an afternoon English school, do some work in the public schools, some work at an orphanage, and do a lot of coordinating for college and high school volunteer groups who come down to volunteer trips with the organization.

It is an unpaid position, but all living expenses are provided for. My husband and I live in a very nice location of town, in a very nice, large 4 story building that used to be a restaurant and guest house. It is now living space and kitchen (1st floor) the English school (2nd floor) our living space (3rd floor) and patio/volunteer living space (4th floor). It could not be a more perfect living situation for someone looking to experience authentic Dominican surroundings, culture and daily life ...yet while in a nice building, with very reliable running water, electricity, internet, phone, etc. It is also accross the street from a beautiful park.

The volunteer position is a 1-2 year commitment and is definitely a full time job. It requires some leadership and teaching experience. I speak fluent Spanish and can't imagine someone else doing the job without at least minimum to basic Spanish skills. However, for a low-level Spanish speaker there is lots of opportunity to improve and study Spanish.

For my husband and I this has been an amazing experience ...we plan to stay involved even after moving back to the States. I am truly glad we decided to do this for 2 years of our lives.

I am posting this because I know the organization is looking for an individual or couple interested in coming down to take over for us. We will be leaving at the end of the summer. The school is very well set up and we will have long term volunteer teachers signed up for the fall, but it will still be very necessary to find a good leader (or leaders) for the program. It is the ideal expereince for someone who wants to:
-live a simple, yet busy, yet very rewarding life
-live in a quiet, friendly Dominican town
-gain leadership skills/ practice leadership skills
-work with both Dominican kids (mostly 5th-8th grades) and American high school/college kids
-make a difference in this country through education

anyone who has questions or is interested please PM me.

ecsf

Feb 9, 2008
This is Amazing

DRMC,

This sounds Amazing! I am relocating to Santo Domingo but if you know of anything like this there I would love to be a part of it.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
right now the organization is only working in Monte Cristi ...

I am pretty sure there are orphanages and schools that could use some volunteer help in SD though, check into it ...it is a great area in which to give your time and effort in the country.