study abroad

studyabroadchica

Apr 11, 2008
Hi everyone!
I am a student looking into studying abroad in Santiago at Pontifical Catholic University for four months during the fall. I am really excited about the prospect of living in the DR and improving my spanish and taking carribean studies. I am a Los Angeles, CA born cuban and i really want to experience a taste of carribean culture and maybe, if i get my bearings, visit Cuba a bit also. How is Santiago for a twenty year old girl with a decent but nowhere perfect hold on spanish? i will be going through a program with other foreign students but i would like to hear some recommendations or advice from people who aren't biased because they are trying to get my money. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The program is a lot of fun!

And a young lady from California will find the country interesting. The programs tries to make sure that you see some of the more interesting sights as well as the not so attractive aspects of life in the Third World. (Not that it is all that bad!!)

You can feel free to email me or send me a PM if you want specifics. I am fairly familiar with the PUCMM (Pucamaima in the vernacular).

FYI Santiago is a fairly large city, with close to 800 or 900 thousand people. It stretches for miles in each direction. The older parts can date back to colonial times, and the newest parts still have paint drying. There are quiet parks, bustling streets, lots of stores and such. According to some, the party scene--dancing and drinking--is quite good.

HB

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
The campus is beautiful. Santiago has a lot to offer. Those who I know at PUCMM like it a lot. Just keep in mind that its a very expensive school for most Dominicans ...so, besides international students and a few on scholarship of some sort, you're going to be among a good number of wealthy-class Dominicans. Make sure you see other parts of the island while you are here too.

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
advice ...I would say work on improving your Spanish and try to meet a few quality friends right away ...once you've gotten to know the jist of things, venture out to explore other parts of the DR via Caribe Tours (bus) to make the most of your time here.

If I was here for a semester or so and based in Santiago my list would include-
North Coast (PP, Sosua or Cabarete), Santo Domingo, La Vega/Jarabacoa, Dajabon, and Samana

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You have not emailed me nor have you sent me a PM>>>>You must know all of the answers....ehehehehehehe

):*^)

HB

studyabroadchica

Apr 11, 2008
Hey thanks everyone. I'm glad that you all have positive things to say and its going to be a long wait until I go in the fall. To drmc thanks for the advice. I was thinking about that and I want to make sure that I do get to see all aspects of Dominican life. While I am there I definitely want to get set up with some kind of program where I can help out in my free time. It would be a shame if I went and only saw how the wealthy people lived and not everyone else.

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
I can't give any specific advice since I'm not sure which program you're going through and I know PUCMM has a number of study abroad programs for American students...at least 5 I can think of off the top of my head. I participated in a SA program at PUCMM when I was in college, PM me if you have any questions or need advice, I'd be happy to help :)

Mar 2, 2008
studyabroad,
If I were you I would take HillBilly up on his offer. He is highly thought of here, and has a lot of very helpful advice to offer. He is also a professor, with many talents. It says something when proud old people like me are asking for his advice.