Fires near Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Noticed last night a couple of decent sized fires about 2 km east & south of Cabarete close to the mountains. Earlier today, could see the smoke & even a fire several hundred feet up the mountain in the same area.

This evening, there are still fires in the same area & some appear to have moved closer to town with one behind Cita del Sol... it appeared much closer to town than the mountains - but as I was driving, I couldn't get a good positioning.

About 9pm a firetruck came thru town & it was parked at the entrance to pro-cab about 9:15. Not sure what they can do as the fires appear to be in the lagoon or beyond.... I guess they're there in case the fires reach any homes they can get to with the truck.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Me thinks the fires be done for... quite a good thunderstorm in Cabarete now, thankfully.

The wind apparently came in from the mountains last night & everything in Cabarete (west end at least) was covered in ashes from the fires. Could barely see out of the windshield of my car, window screens in the house covered in dust & ashes, balcony & outdoor furniture... ick.

I'd guess this rain will put an end to the fires, clean the air, and hopefully my car at the same time :)

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Was this another fire set by locals? In January or February this year, the locals set fire to the Cabarete lagoon to chase out some semi-aquatic creature. Can't remember what but it was in the lagoon between the main street of Cabarete and Calle Bahai in Pro Cab. I was sent pictures but have not posted them. In the case of the fire earlier this year, it got out of control, people living adjacent to it actually got their own hoses out and were drenching their properties to keep the fire at bay. It took the fire department ages to get through. Nearly the full length of the lagoon was on fire.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I don't know for certain what caused the fires. A couple of Dominican friends suggested (though not in a definitive manner) that it was probably people smoking out turtles for food. That's not unheard of & may be what was going on.

The first night I saw the fires, they were closer to the Texaco... by the next those fires were still going & there was a pretty big one in back of Cita del Sol. Last year the fires seemed more concentrated in the lagoon between ProCab & Callejon as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.