Canada to Dominican Republic oneway ticket?

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
Has anyone traveled from Canada and got into the dr (santo domingo airport) or know if you (a canadian) can get in with a oneway ticket? I tried searching and found nothing relating to coming in from Canada. Any help would be great!

lacey

Mar 12, 2008
I never thought this would be a problem. Is it? I am Canadian and planned to travel in June, with a one way ticket.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Has anyone traveled from Canada and got into the dr (santo domingo airport) or know if you (a canadian) can get in with a oneway ticket? I tried searching and found nothing relating to coming in from Canada. Any help would be great!

I've done it quite a few times - flying into POP, not SDQ though. I do have my Residency here though...so I have the proper ID to show if need be....but have never been asked. The only issue I ever had was when I came back in January on a one-way ticket with WestJet. I happened to be booking over the phone that time, and they kind of hesitated about the one way. I told them I live here and have my residency, and they just said "oh, ok". I was actually expecting them to ask me for ID when I checked in at the airport that morning.....but they didn't.

Regardless...your issue won't here here (DR) but in Canada when you check in.

Hope that helps!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
i have no residency card yet but flew a few times with a one-way ticket via Miami. i usually buy return ticket since charter flights only sell return tickets even if i know i'm not coming back on that return flight, because return tickets are direct YYZ-SDQ or POP and are usually cheaper than one-way tickets anyway.

Sarah.D

Apr 3, 2008

Are you having trouble finding a ticket from Canada to the Santo Domingo airport?
If so
What city are you leaving Canada from?
Would you be willing to stop in the U.S?
Do you have to fly into Santo Domingo or would you be willing to comute from another airport?

Or would you just like to know if you will be hastled if entering the Dominican Republic with a one way ticket?
If so
I would say you have nothing to worry about!:classic:

Sarah

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
Wow thanks for all the quick replys, after i had posted i remembered even thought we had round trip tickets (which we ended up ditching because it cost more to change them the) noone looked or asked us about our ticket on the DR end.

edit > what exzaclty is a charter flight? how it is diff then a normal.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you don't have your residency here in the DR you will have to have a return ticket if the ticket agent notices at check in that you do not have a return ticket. A few years ago I traveled from Toronto with a one way ticket via New York. It was in New York that I was required to purchase the return portion. Maybe direct from Canada would be different but the airline would be able to tell you.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Previous thread

I can't find it right now, but I remember reading a thread about this here before. I believe you do need a return ticket, just discard the return portion if you don't use it.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
edit > what exzaclty is a charter flight? how it is diff then a normal.

A charter is when a company hires or rent planes to provide a service for its own customers ie tourist companies Like Thomson or My Travel in the UK.

A bit like when a few people all want to go somewhere and the get together and rent/hire a bus to take them there.

Because some of these tourist travel companies can get large numbers of people they can afford to fly themselves. This is normally cheaper than scheduled flights as they only ever fly in the peak seasons and are normally quite full. whereas scheduled flights have to fly even if there are very few people on them hence the price is higher to cover the cost of the flight.

The host countries normally restrict the operations so that they can't compete with local carriers ......for example you can't normally catch a one way flight and less seldom only use the return ticket.....well in theory that is.

Hope that explains.

Skippy1

donmiguelito

Jul 21, 2007
If you don't have your residency here in the DR you will have to have a return ticket if the ticket agent notices at check in that you do not have a return ticket........

This is very true and important to remember. I went to SDQ a few months ago with a friend. I booked his return flight on Jetblue, and he booked the SDQ portion on Delta so he could use a credit he had with them. When he checked in with Delta, he couldn't show proof of a return and so the delta agent would not check him in. He had to call me to give him the confiration number to have the gate agent call Jetblue to confirm the flight. He just barely made it on the plane, and the delta agent acted like she was doing him a favor for calling Jetblue to verify.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am almost sure this subject was covered in great detail 3 or 4 months ago. Try the search for the thread.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
My niece had to buy a return ticket, knowing she wasnt going to use it!!
the agent told her if she didnt have a return ticket DR has been known to deport you back??
i'd call your travel agent, confirm everything before you buy one!!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am almost sure this subject was covered in great detail 3 or 4 months ago. Try the search for the thread.

You are right Johne. The rules are clear you need a return ticket. Whether it will be enforced or not is a risk you take, that's all. Worst case you buy a return on the spot. Although this will probably cost more that having bought a two way ticket in the first place. It's a gamble ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
This has been covered before and it relates to all entrants to the DR. Unless you have residency - the rules state you must have a return ticket.

The carrier is responsible for ensuring you have the return portion purchased.

It is possible to get in without the return portion BUT if you are caught you may be refused boarding on your flight and have to buy an additional ticket at high cost.

There are many people who will tell you the story about - when I did it...... but there are hundreds more who will not post about being caught at the airport and being out of pocket hundreds of dollars!

My advice buy the return portion! And it can be a one way ticket from here to Miami - it does not have to be a return to your departure point.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
You have to go home eventually?

Is it not cheaper to buy a return ticket on a NON charter airline & then only pay a small change fee to return home at a later date?

I bought a return charter ticket in 2006 & didn't use the return part....I then had to purchase a whole new ticket to get home for $350 US.

If I had purchased a round trip through AA then I would have only been out 50$ for the change fee and the ticket good for 1 year.

Sangria

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
In all cases just do the math. If it is cheaper to buy a return and change the return. Then do it. If it is cheaper to buy one way and a departure to Miami a year out, then do that.....

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
lol thanks guys, lots of good info, i also did a bunch of searches before i posted, but couldnt find any info on this...

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
I arrived on a one way ticket with WestJet in mid March. Purchased the one way on their website, nothing was ever said or any problem encountered, flew into Puerto Plata nary any issue. Beyond the airline, how would anyone else know you did not have a return ticket? Why would they care, you pay at the airport the overstay charge, be it 10 for over 30 days or 20US or over 90 days.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I arrived on a one way ticket with WestJet in mid March. Purchased the one way on their website, nothing was ever said or any problem encountered, flew into Puerto Plata nary any issue. Beyond the airline, how would anyone else know you did not have a return ticket? Why would they care, you pay at the airport the overstay charge, be it 10 for over 30 days or 20US or over 90 days.

As we already all said you can take your chances, but the rules are CLEAR. A return ticket is obligatory (whether they check is a different story). This goes for travel to most countries in the world.