Dominicans in Austin Texas?

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Outside of Round Rock

Won't find many Dominicans in this area. I've lived here for almost a year now and haven't had much luck... many Puerto Ricans, Cubans, Colombians, Panamanians, but no Dominicans... at least that I've met.

rvaldez345@aol.com

Sep 2, 2008
dominican in roundrock

and i and our respective families live in roundrock and work in austiin we own a remodeling company on research blvd we assumed we were t

my brother and i live in roundrock with our respective families and own a remodeling company on research blvd i assumed we were alone

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Not too far from we are... we are off of 79 in Hutto. I moved from Dallas and we had a big organization for Dominicans there... thought about trying to start one down here too, but haven't found the numbers to do it. The site for the organization in Dallas is LA SOCIEDAD CULTURAL DOMINICANA DALLAS FORT WORTH. Maybe they could let us know if there are other Dominicans in the area. How long have you all been down here?

rvaldez345@aol.com

Sep 2, 2008
my brother been here for 15 yrs. i have been here for 2yrs and were looking for someone to play domino with and we will be the first members of the club

jreyesfuchs

Sep 22, 2008
in search of fellow paysanos

Hello everyone and anyone!
My family and I also just moved to Austin from Nueva York this summer (08). We are looking for fellow dominicanos to connect with. We discovered Austin on a whim last summer and loved it so much that decided to make a break from the crazyiness and totally expensive life in New York. I am getting to understand the "catch" phrase of "keep Austin Weird." I have found that some people are genuinely friendly and others look at us like " I will tolerate you, because I have no other choice" kinda way. So I would love to find other Dominicanos in the Texas hood to relate to. We are living in Pflugerville and are looking to buy a home but are not completely sure where to settle. Any suggestions?

rvaldez345@aol.com

Sep 2, 2008
We left brooklyn for the same reason you stated, the school districts here in Round rock are one of the best in the country my son just enrolled in stoneypoint h.s. with
his cousins. welcome to Texas

vandee

Nov 26, 2003
See now I'm an American with a mexican wife who had a villa in the DR but our full time home is in Austin. You'll find people born and raised in Austin will welcome you with open arms. We pretty much like everyone.
Some of the newbies who are moving in, well they think once they get here, we should shut the door. Won't happen though. Gad to have you here.

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Meet and Greet

What do you all think of meeting up on day so that we can get to know each other? We could meet up at Cafe Mangu for lunch or dinner one weekend and chit chat for a while. Not sure if you all have children, or how old they may be if you do... but we have 4 young ones, so we would bring them along as well.

Let me know what you all think.

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Date? Time?

awesome idea i have two young kids and my brother has 4 we could all meet at cafe mangu

Great. What would be a good date you think? I know with the holidays coming up most of us will be busy running around, but if we could work something out for like a quick dinner or lunch that would be fine with me. Dejeme saber lo que Uds quieren hacer.

kirsy

Nov 24, 2008
paraisera.hi5.com
Dominicans in Austin? Yes!

Yo soy una dominicana en Austin, hasta hoy crei que era la unica, pero ya veo que no! Y que alegria me da!.

I have been living in Austin for almost 8 years now, been married for the same ammount of time and got 3 kids.I am married to a gringo.LOL Let me know if you want to get together for a moro con tostones y pollo guisao'.

Me llamo Kirsy y vivo en North Austin/off West Braker Ln.

Email me.Necesito my gente!!!

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Just checking to see what everyone else thought about trying to get together, but it seems as though everyone has escaped for the holidays.

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
Donde Estan?

What happened to the Dominicans that live in and around Austin? No one responded on trying to get together... guess it wasn't that workable, but I don't know.

smegilligan

Feb 24, 2009
dominicans in austin

i'm one of the owners of dominican joe coffee shop on congress and riverside. i'm not dominican, but have lived there off and on for 12 years. the coffee shops supports our educational programs on the north coast of the DR. since the shop has opened, i've met a number of dominicans and have been surprised to see how many were in austin. a few of us have talked about getting everyone together, so we should get on that. i'll be back in puerto plata in a week but come back regularly.

DomiEcua

Mar 10, 2009
Does anyone know of any Dominican restaurants in Austin, besides Mangu Cafe?

Diablo, yo hasta manejo pa San Antonio si hay restaurante por alla.

soygringation

Apr 15, 2008
Wow! I should have checked back to my post on this! Lo Siento!!!

I would love to try to have some sort of picnic that we could all meet up at. Since I posted this out families have grown. :)

Let me know if anyone is interested. I know my husband gets homesick for other Dominicans and it would be fun to taste someone else's Sancocho for a change...

Tracy - La Gringa married to a Dominicano de La Vega :)