Cubana flight in SDQ emergency landing

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I just got a call from a shaken friend who was on the Cubana flight to Havana from Santo Domingo this afternoon. They landed safely back in SDQ after one of the engines exploded, about 10 minutes after take-off. :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some photos of the damaged plane:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The passengers are in a hotel in the capital, and have been told they will be flown out later this evening.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Chiri, Great photos! Glad that everyone is safe. Is this a 4 engine plane? What type?

Regards, Ringo

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
wow the pictures are very scarey. Looks like either a bird strike or a broken blade caused this damage.
If its any consolation this would not happen like this on a Rolls Royce or GE engine as they are designed to withstand this kind of incident.

So before you board check the name on the engines......anything secondhand from Russia is going to be suspect in my book.
Skippy1

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I hope this does not have a serious effect on the SDQ airport maintenance facilities. If the engine was worked on here there could be problems for international operators out of this airport?????

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey Skippy, i work at a private FBO in NY and have seen a rolls royce engine crack from a bird [feathers and all still in the exhaust back side of the engine], granted it was a smaller aircraft [i ithink a Hawker or Citation] but it cracked a few of the blades and had to wait on a new engine to come from canada...LOL
estimated cost on the parts [$4million]...ouch

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The news this morning said that it caused serious delays yesterday, with several flights diverted to other airports.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Sounds cheap

hey Skippy, i work at a private FBO in NY and have seen a rolls royce engine crack from a bird [feathers and all still in the exhaust back side of the engine], granted it was a smaller aircraft [i ithink a Hawker or Citation] but it cracked a few of the blades and had to wait on a new engine to come from canada...LOL
estimated cost on the parts [$4million]...ouch

Only 4 million?

I would be very surprised if an engine on a 747 GE or Rolls Royce would look like the one in the picture after a bird strike. I have seen television programmes where they fire frozen chickens into these engines to test them. The chickens normally come out worse for wear and the engines do not explode. They have a very expensive and state of the art protective cowling to keep all the broken bits inside and away from the fuel tanks in the wings. Granted an expensive repair job for someone back at the hanger.

Skippy1

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ONLY $4Million

Only 4 million?

I would be very surprised if an engine on a 747 GE or Rolls Royce would look like the one in the picture after a bird strike. I have seen television programmes where they fire frozen chickens into these engines to test them. The chickens normally come out worse for wear and the engines do not explode. They have a very expensive and state of the art protective cowling to keep all the broken bits inside and away from the fuel tanks in the wings. Granted an expensive repair job for someone back at the hanger.

Skippy1

LOL I weas told by the mechanic taking care of that engine that was the cost...maybe for the engine alone? i may have misunderstood. if i recall correctly he told me that the engine fan was made up of cermaic blades? or part of it is ceramic which explains why it cracked. i dont even know what bird this plane's engine sucked up but it was right after taking off so i suspect a goose? fortunately they were able to turn back around and land no problem...LOL.
i doubt a bird could cause an engine to explode like those pictures, unless ostriches learned to fly! LOL :bunny:

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
easy make one yourself a piece of 6 inch pipe 4 feet long seal one end with welded plate make a small hole in plate, insert 1/2 inch pipe weld and connect to shutoff valve. add 100 psi air compressor and one frozen chicken inserted and rammed hard into barrel.
Stand back open air valve and watch the fastest Picco Pollo in the Caribbean....lol

And you do not need a permit......should frighten the C**p out of your average Ladron if strategically placed in the hallway facing the door......hehehe

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Thanks Chirimoya.

Glad to hear about your friend Chirimoya, this experiences are... lest just say life changing....

Did you friend take the pictures???

Regards

STIOP