Abused Women in the DR

avionics

Jan 24, 2003
To whom it may concern,

Dominican Republic's Women's Rights.

I have married a Dominican Republic woman. The best woman I have ever met in my life. We have been married for more than five years and lived together for about six years. We have been to Canada (my home country) and the Dominican Republic (her country) and back the US (our new country). In Canada and the US, there are laws that offer abused women some protection, however, in the Dominican Republic it seems that protection can be on the wrong side of the dispute....

My sister in law (and her daughter) was physically abused from day one after marriage. This abuse kept going on for more than 20 years. Soon after she left the household to make some money to care for herself and the three children, the husband took advantage of the situation to file for divorce and take over all the assets (house) they had built over many years. The husband claimed she had left for another man when in fact he was the one cheating. The husband tried to marry another woman while she was away but faced some problems because there she was not there to consent to divorce.

After the husband badly beat her up a few months ago (and one of the children) he was put in jail for a few hours and then released.

At this time, all I know is that she now has to leave the household and forfeit rights to the house she has helped build over several years. Basically, she will be homeless...

She is a very Christian woman that has never cheated and carries a Bible at all times. I don't believe she is the type to ever cheat on her husband or even lie about anything.

I hear that the husband now has to go to a different church as the priest does not want to see him anymore....

Is there anything I can do to help? Can an abused woman get justice in the Dominican Republic?

Who should I talk to?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Don't get involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The first step for a woman that's abused is to gain self respect and LEAVE for good the abuser... Seems that she did that already! So the next one is to go and buy herself a nice saturday night special in any gun shop in the DR (taking out her gun permit first) and keeping the Lord in her heart and a full clip in her gun.

About the house: Better to be free of scum like him and live in peace than have to deal with the guy for a long time just because of a house...
Some things are better off to be walked away from, and this happens to be one of those times...

Make her understand the value of her life and peace over cinder blocks and mortar while in a living hell...

Believe you me... He's bound to find the fruit of his actions sooner rather than later in some other hands...

You? Don't get involved...

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Physical Abuse

To whom it may concern,

My sister in law (and her daughter) was physically abused from day one after marriage. This abuse kept going on for more than 20 years.
After the husband badly beat her up a few months ago (and one of the children) he was put in jail for a few hours and then released.

Is there anything I can do to help? Can an abused woman get justice in the Dominican Republic?

Who should I talk to?

I am not Dominican and I am not legally qualified but I can identify a little with this situation. I have posted this before but in a nutshell I used to live with a Dominican man in the DR and suffered physical abuse for nearly 2 years.
The long and the short of it was that the only time I got relief from the situation and all its issues was when I left the country and returned to the UK.
I found that there was very little or no help from Dominicans ( as Pichardo has said - do not get involved) or from the police - in fact I was sent to jail on one occasion! Everything seemed to favour him.
Sometimes it is best to just walk away and be thankfull that you are still in one piece!
I am sure that legal advice will be forthcoming but I just wanted to add my comments as I thought that they were relevant.
Rio

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
To whom it may concern,

I have married a Dominican Republic woman. The best woman I have ever met in my life. We have been married for more than five years and lived together for about six years. We have been to Canada (my home country) and the Dominican Republic (her country) and back the US (our new country). In Canada and the US, there are laws that offer abused women some protection, however, in the Dominican Republic it seems that protection can be on the wrong side of the dispute....

My sister in law (and her daughter) was physically abused from day one after marriage. This abuse kept going on for more than 20 years. Soon after she left the household to make some money to care for herself and the three children, the husband took advantage of the situation to file for divorce and take over all the assets (house) they had built over many years. The husband claimed she had left for another man when in fact he was the one cheating. The husband tried to marry another woman while she was away but faced some problems because there she was not there to consent to divorce.

At this time, all I know is that she now has to leave the household and forfeit rights to the house she has helped build over several years. Basically, she will be homeless...

She is a very Christian woman that has never cheated and carries a Bible at all times. I don't believe she is the type to ever cheat on her husband or even lie about anything.

I hear that the husband now has to go to a different church as the priest does not want to see him anymore....

Who should I talk to?

By saying "Do not get involved", I'm sure Pichardo and Rio mean do not try to confront her or her husband in any way. (To protect your family and hers). Although this woman has surely hit rock bottom and needs encouragement and emotional support from her family. The same goes for her poor children who are surely traumatised and need adults that they can depend on so they can learn to trust again.

I hope she finds the courage to move on. She is lucky to have you, who genuinely cares.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I know this may be a long shot, but can you set up a fund in the US? maybe do a 5k run and get some sponsors? I did that not to long ago, I raffled off an Ipod Touch, so i spent $250, but in return made $2500 ! at least something like that would get her into a rental? rather than being homeless!

If i were in her position, I would leave everything to him, i know it's hard to let everything you worked so hard for go, but your safety and the childrens safely, is not worth any possesion in the world.

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Defend yourself

I was told at a very young age to defend myself at all time. The first right of a woman in DR is to hit back if she gets hit. " I am a dominican born, rise and educated in DR." You said that your sister-in-law is a Christian if she is so she should know that bricks are to heavy to carry anywhere. She most have somewhere to go for shelter?. He is abusing her no only physically but Psycologically and as hard as its souds is because she is allowing him. "she nees to get a bat and be ready to swing to show him that she can defend herself.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Fighting back....

I was told at a very young age to defend myself at all time. The first right of a woman in DR is to hit back if she gets hit. " I am a dominican born, rise and educated in DR." You said that your sister-in-law is a Christian if she is so she should know that bricks are to heavy to carry anywhere. She most have somewhere to go for shelter?. He is abusing her no only physically but Psycologically and as hard as its souds is because she is allowing him. "she nees to get a bat and be ready to swing to show him that she can defend herself.

This is interesting guandulera - I have always been told that you do NOT hit a Dominican man. I don't think I have ever heard of this "right" from any of my female Dominican friends. Surely it would be like a red rag to a bull?

Rio

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Well rio2003 I don't know about your friends but I wasn't told to hit especifically a man I was just told to defend myself and that incluede anyone. Dominican men are strong and so are Dominican Wemen. Let me share this when I was about 7 my father try to hit may mother and one thing is for sure with her hitting back with the first thing that he got I don't remember any other insident since that time. That's over 25 years ago...

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if i had to leave the abuser a house, he/she would come home to a house with nothing in it or perhaps on fire. this way she may lose the house but he didn't win it either.................could she sell the house without his knowledge? get him drunk and have him sign some papers. take out a loan against the house that he will be liable for. run up the credit cards that he will be liable for. you can lose by a little or lose by a lot, it doesn't have to be winner take all.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Do you know how dangerous this is? fight fire with fire! ?

In some cases the winner may end up homeless, but still alive and well with their kids!!