Presidente beer - "Una fria Americana, por favor"?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It appears Presidente beer was started in the 30's by an American businessman and then bought out by Phillip Morris. Nonetheless, Dominicans have bought the business back and built a US$400M plant in the capital. Also, they are currently no. 4 in consumption of imported beers in S. Florida behind Heineken, Corona and Beck's.

So just remember the next time you ask for a cold presidente to say, "una fria Americana, por favor". :)

Presidente beer takes on the import competition in South Florida -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
41 million cases of Presidente beer sold in a year to the almost 10 million people in the DR. Oh my, I have to cut back.

Plus 5 million tourist per year!

Just trying to make you feel better;)
Repeat after me : I am not an alcoholic ;)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
wow interesting history here! I had NO IDEA! LOL
not to ruffle anyone's feathers but I happen to like BRAHMA a lot! besides sometimes they are on special at 3 x 100 pesos, how can you go wrong? LOL ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
not to ruffle anyone's feathers but I happen to like BRAHMA a lot! besides sometimes they are on special at 3 x 100 pesos, how can you go wrong? LOL ;)

You can buy Presidente for the same price. 800rd for a case of 24.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Brahma Lite is good stuff. And it isn't skunky like Presidente when it is warm...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

I knew we had something in common. I also drink brahma, especially brahma lite.
AZB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Ha Ha

I knew we had something in common. I also drink brahma, especially brahma lite.
AZB

yeah the 3 x 100 specials are the LARGE bottles! how canyou beat this? i hardly see Presidente dish out specials like this....otherwise i'll get me their version of the 40oz [JUMBO] and call it a day! LOL
AZB, beers are on me when I get to Santiago! :bunny:

Apr 26, 2002
Not the beer to have when you're having more than one

The CN is now completely owned by Leon Jimenez, having done a swap with Philip Morris/SAB Miller (100% of Presidente to LJ, 100% of Marlboro to PM).

I was reading an old thread about how New York Dominicans don't drink Presidente. Well, they do. Many like the taste of Presidente, as do I. But there is a factor that keeps them from drinking more.

The qualities of Presidente are derived from quite a mix of, well, chemical things that add flavor and body and keep the stuff from exploding in the freezer. Presidente and Brugal are both known to serve up massive hangovers. This is the real reason why many Dominican Yorks turn to Corona (and, similarly, Hennesey over Brugal). For some reason, you can drink a case of that stuff (and many do) with very little affect.

The Heineken is made in the DR and is based on the European, rather than American-export, formula, making it, in my opinion, superior in taste to that available in the US.

Last edited: