Reinsertion of (deported) Dominicans into society

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
We all know that there are tens or hundreds of Dominicans being deported back to DR from various countries (mainly the US) for an entire array of reasons.

I guess we can all agree that those being deported because the have committed a crime overseas should be deported and dealt with accordingly both at the country where the offense was committed and upon their return to the DR by performing close monitoring of those citizens' activities. But it's not those citizens I'm writing about. I'm looking to bring some notoriety on those (Dominican) citizens that are sent back to the DR after having spent most of their natural life in another country (let's say the US for the time being), assimilated that country's culture to the extent where that country's language has become their native language because they left the DR as a small child. Through the passage of time, their cultural ties to their native country (DR) has become more and more of a faint, distant concept and now they find themselves being returned to a country that could conceivably seem as alien to them as to any other foreigner setting foot in the DR.

Putting all details aside as to why or how they were deported, does the DR have or do any of you know of an entity that assists these Dominican citizens in adjusting to their new life in the DR much in the way of a foreigner in their own land taking into consideration that they may speak little to no Spanish?

I know of a specific case of someone who's now 28 y/o, left the DR at 2 yrs of age and has been sent back to the DR for committing a crime in the US. This young man never bothered to become a US citizen and is now living in the DR, speaks hardly any Spanish at all, is a 100% culturally American-assimilated Dominican and well, aside from the obvious fact that he shouldn't have committed the crime, is there any help he can receive in trying to successfully acclimate himself to DR?

His parents are both Dominican, as well as himself. They separated/divorced early in his childhood, grew up with his mom who eventually married an American and grew up in a mostly English speaking home in mid-west US.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated. :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A year or so ago the DR1 news reported about an organisation, based in Santiago, formed for that purpose. Maybe someone else can remember more details.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of them was arrested yesterday with 11 kilos of pure coke....and I heard that another was shipped to Puerto Rico for another drug offense.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Prison after-care is work in progress, shall we say, with regard to Dominican prisoners released from Dominican jails and deportees are generally viewed as lower in the hierarchy of those deserving of help than the people released here (not saying I agree with that, just saying it is how it is, IMO).

There is an organisation called La Fundaci?n Defensa del Dominicano en el Exterior (FUNDOEXTE) which last June set up a halfway house for deportees 'Casa Renacimiento y Solidaridad', at la Manzana A, #2 de la Urbanizaci?n Amarilis III, Autopista de San Isidro, Santo Domingo Este.

More info here
Crean casa para ayuda a dominicanos deportados

Phone nos. and email here:
Ayuda Total | Versi?n Imprimir. Fundaci?n ofrece ayuda legal y m?dica a deportados de EE.UU.

There is also a National Police programme called 'Registry and control for the repatriated'.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2008/2/11/26992/Dominican-deportees-get-help-from-the-Police-groups

Presumably started as a result of these sorts of pleas
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2006/3/25/11731/Director-of-NY-prisons-requests-to-reinstate-deported-to-Dominican-society

I remember the news item Chiri is referring to - my recollection is that this was a pastoral function associated with a religious group, church or mission but whoever wrote that news will remember better than I do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hopefully the mentioned programs will work out for him. In the event ehy do not, it is imperative that he get enrolled in Spanish classes for foreigners. At 28 he is still relatively young and should be able to speak fluently "enough" in say about three years. Also, his English skills will give him a definite advantage in finding jobs in the tourist and call centers areas. It is imperative that he stay out of trouble here in the DR, as anymore businesses in the DR are doing background and credit checks as it has become very easy and inexpensive to do.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would like to add that my wife had a distinct cousin who was deported back in 2000 and live in the same campo we did. He too was raised in the US but was somewhat younger, 20 and his Spanish was passable. The locals made fun of him a lot and his accent in the beginning, but he eventually did ok by getting a job at a hotel in PP. I live in Santiago and will be glad to give the fellow advice if needed.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Change is always for the better...
Perhaps the best thing to happen to them now while still young rather than when they're older and harder to start anew...

Those who have the drive to make something of themselves will persevere, those who are up to no good, well... They'll fail miserably just as the reason they got deported on the first place.

My personal opinion on his immediate future should be to enroll into any college in the DR and become a diplomado instead of a has been. He has the luck to handle a second language quite well as the mother tongue, so he should exploit that.

My two cents...

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Lambada, great information. Thank you very much.

I'll make sure he gets it. :bunny: