Update on propane system (cars)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, now that I have been driving this propane system in my car, I have to report a few details that may concern a few interested folks on this board.
First of all, this thread is not about which system is better and who is qualified to install it, nor the dangers to the engine etc. We have already beaten this horse to death on another thread.
I am simply pointing out the benefits of a system that costs 16000-22,000 pesos, installed by a chopo mechanic. Italian system that is the most common in dominican market.
First of all, I must say that I love this system. Its works flawlessly and has given me economical relief that I had desperately needed.
I traveled from La romana to santiago with a/c and 4 people total for only 500 pesos (one way). Yes folks, the whole distance was covered in only 500 pesos. I put no more than 570 pesos of propane to fill up my tank from near empty to full. No more putting in 1000 pesos of gasoline that doesn't even give me 1/2 tank. Those days are over for me. I hope.
Now there is a caution. Always go to propane station which are commercially busy and huge in size, with lines of cars waiting to be filled. Why? Thats because people know they are getting what they pay for. If you see some isolated country propane station with 2 pumps and the attendent sitting around scratching his a$$, stay away from that place. People know these guys are thieves. Their meters run faster.
Now when I was on the way to higuey, I was going low on my gas tank. I was low but not empty, I still had gas inside. So I pulled up to a small propane station where the attendent was sitting around killing mosquitos. So when I told him to fill my tank, oh boy, I had never seen the meter run so fast. I finally ended up paying 810 pesos of gas. In reality, I should be only paying 500 pesos in a busy famous name propane station. I mean, I was not that empty. So I got ripped off for 300 pesos. Thats 9 dollars folks. This is sheer robbery. I didn't want to argue with the attendent because I was already running late to pick up my brother from the punta cana airport. Needless to say, I certainly learned my lesson.
Today, I was all the way empty on my propane tank. I was afraid car was going to stop. So I pull up to my favorite station and filled the whole tank for 570 pesos. This time the tank was all the way empty as opposed to the tank when I filled up in just before reaching higuey.
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
It's great to hear that you're happy with your propane conversion.

I think that we will soon start to see them being used in the US. The price of gas and diesel is through the roof now.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I finally ended up paying 810 pesos of gas. In reality, I should be only paying 500 pesos in a busy famous name propane station. I mean, I was not that empty. So I got ripped off for 300 pesos. Thats 9 dollars folks. This is sheer robbery.
AZB

I got hit with the 800+ once at my regular large fill-up station. Still don?t know how it happened. My theory is that I did not notice if he reset the meter to zero on previous customer.

I recently had a broken valve and had to empty the tank completely, it cost me only 755 pesos to fill the totally empty tank.

So, be careful, they can rip you off if you don?t pay attention.

PS: The station in question uses the Pesos/gallons meter as opposed to the ones that show gallons only.

Don SantiagoDR

Feb 7, 2007
AZB, how many gallons does your tank have? Mine has 16 and fills up at 900 pesos (it's 60 pesos a gallon).

I don't agree with you that non-busy stations are bad. There is one in Higuey which is not that very busy - Higuey Gas - (at the entrance of Higuey from SD on the right side) which I have never ever seen anybody filling the empty tank cheaper than them, and their LPG also gives me better mileage for the tank than others. And I have been to busy station in SD (Credigas) which I paid 300 pesos and I did only about 40 miles to empty the gas -- bad!!! So it's not always true that busy is better.

Now I like 2 filling stations in SD that I think are better than others (even though not that good as "my" in Higuey) - Propagas on Las Americas, after Charles de Gaule (westward), and Propagas in Villa Juana just ine block off the Texaco gas station.

Also, AZB, may I ask you what engine does your car have? Is it on Camry? Mine is 2.4 l and it's a gas guzzler. On gasoline and on LPG as well. It would cost me about 650 pesos to do Romana-Santiago stretch. Not counting spending lots of LPG on SD traffic.

My best achieved consumption is 400 kms on RD$900 pesos fillup, or RD$2.25 per km, on highway driving (90 kmph) continuos driving (at night).
Otherwise, I get on average 350 kms on RD$900 fillup (highway driving, mixed speeds 80-130 kmph, mixed traffic - during the day).

lasalsa

Apr 9, 2008
What type of Vehicles you guys have running Propane? I have a 2003 Land Cruiser and if/when I take it to the D.R. in a few years, I'd like to get the conversion.

R..

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Mine is also 16 gallon tank but remember, these tanks don't fill up to 16 gallons as gas expands in high temperatures. Therefore the tanks have a cut off valve at 80% the capacity.
Now I check my tank's capacity with the LED gauge. I have 4 green LEDs plus one red LED (going towards empty). If I am at red LED, I know I still have plenty of gas left to cover a significant distance. I think my engine is 2.0 or maybe 2.2 the most. camry 2000 LE.
So when I was in the small station, my last green LED was flickering and going into red LED. So I knew I had plenty of gas in the tank. To my shock, the tank was filled up at 810 pesos. Now yesterday, I have been driving on RED (empty) for 2 days and came to a point when I became nervous that my tank might empty out totally. I filled it up at 570 pesos. So a simple math will tell that I got ripped off at the station near a campo of higuey. I will stick to larger stations in my area. This is the lesson I have learned.
AZB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
AZB, glad to know you are loving the gas tank conversion. The first time I ever saw a system like this was in 2005 in Ecuador and couldnt believe people were running cars on propane. I do agree that there are thieves out there willing to rip you off at the pump out in DR whether it be gasoline or propane, you have a very efficient system! because for under $600RD to go from La Romana to Santiago? thats INSANE! I wish they would do that conversion here in the states! LOL

Feb 7, 2007
AZB, I too have 5 LEDs , 4 green one one yellow. The red one I have is on when the car is switched to gasoline.

My tank, as I was said, was 16 gallons. It fills up usually with 13.5 here in Higuey, when empty empty empty with 14-14.5 here in Higuey (the station I mentioned). In Santo Domingo it fills up with 17, and I once got ripped off in Boca Chica when it filled with 23. Almost 400 pesos rip-off. I didn't have any but RD$2000 bill so i had no choice but to pay. Otherwise I would have given him money on 17 gallons max. That was Credigas in Boca Chica. Later on, I had bad experience with Credigas Santo Domingo (on Av. Espana). 300 pesos of gas lasted only less than 60 kms. I avoid Credigas.

Also, I figured out, if they let the gas in slowly, it will fill the tank "better" than if it is pumped quickly. I always leave the gusy 10 or 20 pesos (depending on how much I am filling up) to let it go "muy al pasito".

Propagas, to my knowledge, has best "rendimiento" and gas mileage and fills with less $$$. But Tropigas is not that bad either. As mentioned, I stay off Credigas.

Getting back to tank, mine has a small air-screw. The screw is loosened to let off the spare air from the tank. The tank fills up when the LPG starts flowing through the screw. The screw is tightened and about 0.4 glls more and the tank filling stops. Mine was never ever filled full for under 14 glls absolutely empty (no car movement on LPG gas).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I like propagas too. This is the one I go to near my house.
Rubio, good information. Thanks.
AZB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Doing the conversion in The US might not save you that much. The reason why it is so cheap in The DR is because propane gas is subsidized big time by the government. It is intended to be subsidized only for home consumption, but everyone is using it for cars also. IF/When the government takes away the subsidy then regular gas might end up costing about the same as propane.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Pump prices jump, propane gas remains the same

A follow up on the subsidized propane gas. My question is are there more gas stations selling the subsidized one than the non-subsidized one or about the same or the other way around? Still even the non-subsidized is cheaper than regular gas.

The price of subsidized propane gas will remain the same at RD$59.95 per gallon and the non-subsidized still costs RD$81.71 per gallon.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...Pump-prices-jump-propane-gas-remains-the-same

Last edited: