SANTIAGO Hoy

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
Unfortunately my father (the greatest man on earth) passed away so I wasn't over there for the best of reasons. I had to take care of some business and managed to get a little bit of pleasurable diversion as well. Here are some observations....

Santiago is more beautiful than ever. Urbanizations are everywhere. You have middle class developments like El Dorado to upscale ones like El Copal and Las Carmelitas (towards Licey). There is a misconception that the country is worse, deeper in debt, etc. The Dominicans who say the country goes to hell each day are the unemployed, lazy chopos who have no talent to contribute to society or the workforce and for ridiculous reasons refuse to work for wages consumerate with their skill (or lack of). No matter how poor or broke they claim to be, these chopos always have money for drinks and to party on an almost daily basis. They all have cellphones with a million friends.

With the exceptions of the high food costs (thank you DR-CAFTA!) and petroleum prices, things are great. The b@astards at Isla, Shell, and Texaco have a scheme where they dilute premium gasoline with water. You are not getting watch you paid for. I drive an SUV (8 cylinder) and I noticed it was burning much more than usual. My cousin told me the probable cause and even this surprised me. Can't do anything about it.

Politics and DR. I'm only 22 so I have a lot to learn. But atleast my father taught me that Politics is the opiate of the ridiculous and uneducated. On the streets these fools are fighting and killing themselves over who they want to elect to oversee the misappropriations of state funds and lead the country through four more years of god knows what. Leonel is a master at bullshi!tt, but atleast the Mulatto is investing in the country.

Girls, Girls, Girls, Girls. Everywhere. Even illiterate motoconchos get laid daily. It's incredible. Having a nice home, car and wardrobe and you will need to hire someone to schedule your nights because there are just so many to choose from.

Business wise, DR-CAFTA is no good. The family used to make good money making Jeans for numerous fashion house inserting zippers, buttons, etc. China's ridiculously cheap labor and the ridiculous tariffs has driven everyone from the Zona Franca. Call centers are basically the only option but it's an idiotic business and the only decent money comes from the PC business like HP and they usually outsource to India because they're all computer nerds. Santiago has no agriculture because there are no incentives and families are moving from the campo to the city enmasse. These people need to stay in the campo where they pay no bills and live off the land. They have no business in the city.

Choporeismo is still quite rampant in Santiago. Dumbyorks with their Yankee Caps and dressing like the blacks from the projects. They make me sick. I'm glad the Hijas de Papi y Mami hate them as much as I do. Luckily for us, Ambis is open once again so they don't try to pass themselves off as decent humans at Tribecca and Francifol. You do have to put up with them a bit at Ahi-Bar but whatever.

Spent 3 days in La Capital resolving some things. Went to a restaurant Sophie's and there were something like 10 Ferrari's, maybe 2 Lambo's a bunch of Porsches and the rest were BMW's, and Mercedes. Heard an ignorant expats say "Wow, is every baseball player in there?" Just to show. La Capital has waay to much traffic and sometimes the city has way too many different personalities but sectors like Naco, Bella Vista, La Esperilla and of course La Anacaona are just first rate. People talk about American wealth, well there is plenty of it in La Capital. And I'm talking about liquid wealth. Not the kind tied up into shady stock options and convertible bonds of questionable rates, I'm talking about liquid.

I put some pictures below of Santiago. Love the respect and the people unlike La Capital where even the elites are abrasive and just better dressed and monied version of their Chopo counterparts. The Cibao Hotel will probably never be built because the developers are idiots, and the Iguana park promotion is funny because I ran into that dude like 5 times. It was just random. People where like "WTF....?" Oh yeah, the Monumento is actually really nice now. I would actually go there now. Maybe. Actually no I wouldn't but whatever.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/Santiagoiguanapark.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/1315254838_b7a6b05b85_o.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/2079997299_9a105ff90c_b-2.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/SantiagoDR159-5984_IMG.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/SantiagoDR35956.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/SantiagoDRdscn0724qt4.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d141/Elvin_Pingu/385459834_f039c744a2_o.jpg

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Dumbyorks with their Yankee Caps and dressing like the blacks from the projects. They make me sick. .

QUOTE]

Was enjoying your post until that sentence...
I am a black American who was born and raised in the projects...never dressed the style that you are referring to...neither did my brothers...nor do my children. Don't generalize and write stupid sentences such as that one.

You have definitely lost my respect...not that it matters to you.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Basing my question...........

SOLELY on the photos you linked..........

WHEN was the last time you have been in the Dominican Republic prior to now?

Just wondering..............and I didn't find anything enjoyable about your post.......

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Very enjoyable post, indeed, very informative. I am sorry to hear your dad passed away. I hope you will visit santiago in good times.
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
SenorJimenez,

maybe some people have issues with the way you express yourself about domyorks, who do not represent every single soul that have grown up in the projects and poor dominicans who are not for whatever reason part of the solution to the problems facing the islands' poverty stricken class.

For the sake of argument poverty does strange things to a persons' psyche, and we could never know what it is like to have to walk in their shoes.

I think those issues are more complicated than just blaming them for being lazy, shiftless and unmotivated.

Nice photos-thanks for including them in your post.

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
Impossible.

NOt EVERY single one but most probably do. For certain the Texaco near LA avenida Valerio and The Isla in Janico and La Autopista Duarte are on that shady business. I live in New Jersey and I've noticed something similar though not as evident as over there.

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
SenorJimenez,

maybe some people have issues with the way you express yourself about domyorks, who do not represent every single soul that have grown up in the projects and poor dominicans who are not for whatever reason part of the solution to the problems facing the islands' poverty stricken class.

Listen, I'm not here to p!ss people off, they're just general statements because if we get into the soci-economic complexities, the post would've taken up the entire database. Let's not get into these debates, please. The underlying issue is that despite everything, Santiago is now more beautiful than ever and La Capital is still....La Capital.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
NOt EVERY single one but most probably do. For certain the Texaco near LA avenida Valerio and The Isla in Janico and La Autopista Duarte are on that shady business. I live in New Jersey and I've noticed something similar though not as evident as over there.
SJ, It is impossible to chemically "dilute" gasoline with water. Put some of each in a clear container and see what happens. There may be other ways to screw you, e.g. recalibrating the delivery mechanism, not resetting it fully, etc., but mixing gas with water ain't one of them.

Never took much chemistry, huh?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was going to post something to the effect of : Hello AZB's cousin!!

Some of those comments were sure to raise he!! and they did.

Of course, those of us that know about chemistry and cars know you cannot mix H2O with fuels. The news from New Jersey last week is visual proof of what happens. The cars stop! Anywhere!! And they cost the gasoline companies thousands of dollars to repay for towing and damages...

I wish he had put captions on some of those photographs...

And, let me add, that there were some very insightful comments, not politically correct, but an insight on how many, many Dominicans think...

The free zones did not die because of China. They died because of rising production costs here: electricity, fuels, and overhead...Probably 95% of the factories that closed had orders to fill that they could not do because for every piece of clothing they made there was at least a 50? or $1,00 (US) net loss. And at 100,000 units a week, that is not feasible.

HB

Jan 5, 2006
No matter how poor or broke they claim to be, these chopos always have money for drinks and to party on an almost daily basis. They all have cellphones with a million friends.
Absolutely true! There's always money for a fria, or two, or three, or...

With the exceptions of the high food costs (thank you DR-CAFTA!) and petroleum prices, things are great. The b@astards at Isla, Shell, and Texaco have a scheme where they dilute premium gasoline with water. You are not getting watch you paid for. I drive an SUV (8 cylinder) and I noticed it was burning much more than usual. My cousin told me the probable cause and even this surprised me. Can't do anything about it.
The cost for those items has gone up worldwide. You can mostly blame the turd sitting in Washington for that.

Oh, and all the gas and propane stations have "fixed" the meters on the pumps. ;) Some more than others, though.

Politics and DR. I'm only 22 so I have a lot to learn. But atleast my father taught me that Politics is the opiate of the ridiculous and uneducated. On the streets these fools are fighting and killing themselves over who they want to elect to oversee the misappropriations of state funds and lead the country through four more years of god knows what. Leonel is a master at bullshi!tt.
This is one of the best depictions of Domican politics that I've seen in a long time. Right on!

Girls, Girls, Girls, Girls. Everywhere. Even illiterate motoconchos get laid daily. It's incredible. Having a nice home, car and wardrobe and you will need to hire someone to schedule your nights because there are just so many to choose from.
Not only that... The crop of girls has gotten hotter as the years have gone by. :D

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
Ricardo,

I dont know the name but its in La Trinitaria. I find it hideous. There are a bunch of these new developments propping up in La Trinitaria and they are much nicer than this one. It's the blue that makes it ugly, IMO.

On Girls....

I will say this, Santiago has many pretty girls but La Capital is just ridiculous. I went to Loft and Tao Room and I could not find one ugly or fat chick.

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ricardo,

I dont know the name but its in La Trinitaria. I find it hideous. There are a bunch of these new developments propping up in La Trinitaria and they are much nicer than this one. It's the blue that makes it ugly, IMO.

Thanks for the info, the area of "La Trinitaria" is nice and close to many sights. I also noticed many new developments in the Gurabo (llano & Cerros) area sprouting up.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The cost for those items has gone up worldwide. You can mostly blame the turd sitting in Washington for that.
Really? He's responsible for the unprecendented demand for petroleum products in China, India, and even the Third World?

Jan 5, 2006
Let's not get into that debate, but the Iraq war hasn't helped matters. Meanwhile, his billionaire oil buddies, who were the ones who primarily financed his two questionable election wins are raking in record profits. So, let's just agree to disagree.

Now back on topic! :)