Barahona to get its beach...

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I wonder whatever happened to this:

http://www.dr1.com/news/2002/dnews041602.shtml#8

This post (see link above) came out on the DR1 news in April 2002, I found it by chance:

"Barahona, the largest city in the southwest, will soon have its own beach. The government is building a breakwater between the Navy area and the port off the Barahona-Batey Central highway. Engineer Jose R. Hawa said the beach conditioning will include walks for pedestrians, a new boulevard, green areas, parking and illumination.
In the past, the people of Barahona had to travel 20 minutes or more to get to a beach at El Quemaito, San Rafael, Bahoruco, Cienaga, Los Patos or other coastal locations. The beach is being promoted as Playa Casita Blanca. It is expected to enhance tourism to Barahona.
"

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
No sign of it in April

I was in Barahona in the beginning of April and spent a few evenings on the malecon drinking beer and talking to some locals. They lamented the lack of tourists that visit Barahona. They spent a while listing the atractions in the area, but they never once mentioned this project. The next day I hired one to take me out to the beach at San Rafael on his concho, as it was the day of the huelga, and there were no guaguas running. It was a gorgous ride and he took the time to point out the differant beaches and attractions including a large construction project that he said was to be a very large hotel, but it did not look like it was very active. I really like this part of the country and I want to do the whole road to Perdenales the next time I go out there. That road is probably the most scenic I have seen in the whole country. They could use some help drawing more visitors.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What happened to the beach for Barahona? Same thing that happened to the artificial island, the huge investment for Manzanillo, etc...it's all made up projects to make someone rich.

As for Barahona this are is very nice and it could definitely benefit from more tourism. It needs a lot more incentives from the government to make this happen though, since its so far away from the nearest large city. For instance currently their airport gets no commercial flights that I know of.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Barahona has nice beaches.. a bit rough though. I was just in Barahona at the beginning of April on a 2 week mission trip helping out in the bateys. We took an afternoon off, hired some locals and we were taken to Playa San Rafael and Villa Miriam and they are both very nice places. Los Patos attracts local surfers.

Feb 15, 2005
There is a place in Costa Rica called Manuel Antonio, this place is approximately 3-4 hours from San Jose the Capital and people pack Manuel Antonio. There is no more room to build there, it's also very beautiful.
IMO, the Ministry of Tourism has not done enough to promote the Southwest, due to it's "amornoracion" with Punta Cana and Cap Cana and now Juan Dolio. There is no other region as attractive as the Southwest and the resistance to it's development will give way sooner than later.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
There is a place in Costa Rica called Manuel Antonio, this place is approximately 3-4 hours from San Jose the Capital and people pack Manuel Antonio. There is no more room to build there, it's also very beautiful.
IMO, the Ministry of Tourism has not done enough to promote the Southwest, due to it's "amornoracion" with Punta Cana and Cap Cana and now Juan Dolio. There is no other region as attractive as the Southwest and the resistance to it's development will give way sooner than later.

I think it all has to do with a conflict of interest with the bigwigs who have huge investmentes in the southeast, they don't want the southwest developed because it will take business away from them; all the southwest gets is promises which never become a reality, Felucho is a man of big promises and small accomplishments when it comes to Barahona and Pedernales. For example, whatever happened to the thermal waters project in Canoa?

Feb 15, 2005
The Canoa project is probably a promise for the voting public. But there is movement in the southwest in terms of agriculture which will bring some form of wealth to the area and hopefully, additionally agriculture investments. I rather the southwest become a hub of agriculture than over-built like some of the other regions which has pushed many locals out and into barrios. As long as the growing need for food continues unabated (see China, India) the Barahona/Perdenales area can benefit greatly. As you know very well Marilyn, the largest stretch of unspoiled beach in the country is located in the southwest. Developers in Juan Dolio, Cabarete etc already are starting to build up because they are running out of available beach front property.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
I rather the southwest become a hub of agriculture than over-built like some of the other regions which has pushed many locals out and into barrios.

Fully agree - one of the charms of the area is that it does not have a lot of tourists, that it is - largely - unspoilt nature, besides the deforestation that does take place by either local farmers or rich land owners that that threat the exact jewels of the freshwater water pools that the Dominicans treasure so much themselves, drying up the rivers due to less rainfall and moisture retained by the trees and vegetation - that is.

There are not many of the beaches that mass tourism wants anyway, rough surf, pepples or stone beaches that are great to walk along, but rough sea, and the great freshwater pools.

Feb 15, 2005
There are not many of the beaches that mass tourism wants anyway, rough surf, pebbles or stone beaches that are great to walk along, but rough sea, and the great freshwater pools.[/QUOTE]

I just got back and there is so much growth in the area already with numerous developments under way since last year. Also after the last two hurricanes San Rafael has been re-modeled with additional natural bathing pools and kiosks, It was PACKED the two times I was there. It was amazing to see.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
further south

just back from a trip to Pedernales - first time that I am futher south than Los Patos - have read several trip reports, but it still takes the real thing to appreciate the area - still unspoilt - went into Haiti at Anse-a-Pitre; you should go - if for nothing else to get a flair of what a rural and remote corner of the world -typical for the 'last frontier' borders look like,- reminds me of Macapa in Brasil for it resemblance of atmosphere - including its public transport that consists of a boat twice a week towards the West or the occational truck coming down to collect used clothes, fish and whatever else is produced.