Furniture Shopping in Santiago

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to move into my apartment and I'd like some advice. I've searched "furniture" on the site and came up with a lot of good info, but I have a more specific question--I am in love with the rattan living room sets that they have at Ochoa Hogar...but honestly, I'm not so in love with the prices! If you know what I'm style I'm talking about, does anybody have any suggestions for places with similar styles but more economical prices? Or does anybody have a number for someone that makes furniture that could possibly do it? From what I've seen, Ochoa is great quality, and I don't mind paying for quality (I'm planning to get a dining room set from them) but I don't want to throw my money away if anyone knows someone I could get it cheaper.

Thanks in advance!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
If you are in or Sosua, please PM and I will give you the name of the man that I use - very reasonable and excellent work.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are two places highly recommended by people onthis board (not everyone, but a goodly number)
1) Mimbre & Rattan Navarrete---just past the Linda factory in Navarrete.. Ask anyone for Tito Bueno...Tell him that the Elephant sent you!!
2) Artesan?a Rattan, perhaps the oldest rattan factory in the DR, started by don Miguel Sang..He made our first living room set and we still have it!! The factory is located on Rafael Vidal Street, the one that goes between the Autopista Duarte and Juan Pablo Duarte.

You will find better prices going to the factories.

HB

StellaRay

Apr 8, 2007
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm Santiago, so unforuntately I don't think I want to pay a truck to bring furniture from Sosua! I printed some pictures off the internet (Ochoa wouldn't let me take pictures, hmm wonder why? lol) of what I'm looking, so I guess I'll just bring them by the factory and try to get a quote.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I just saw a couple of decent looking rattan furniture sets in Pola (la sirena) in Santiago.

Obviously lower quality than the ones you find at Ochoa and Ochoa Hogar, but a fraction of the cost. You could probably find an even better deal by heading to the places HB mentioned, but they may or may not have the design you are after, and are not as centrally located as Pola.

The stuff they sell at Ochoa is generally imported, not locally made, and it is aimed at people with more money than they know what to do with (as is evident form the pricing) It does look good, and I have bought some items there, but I always felt like I was making a major investment.