Small dogs to DR

senseifernandez

Apr 9, 2008
I'm flying to Puerto Plata and have already paid all fees to the airline for my carry-on dogs (2). Does anybody know any other official fees and papers that I need upon entering the country (or before)?

Thanks

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Is this for coming to the DR to live, or just a short visit? If latter, note that for most countries your dog will face quarantine when you return -- sometimes as much as six months.

I brought our terrier with me back in 1995, but I don't think the requisites and procedures have changed that much. You must have proof from your vet that the dog is up-to-date on all vaccinations -- there's a special form for this that all vets know of, so check with them. And when I arrived at the airport I had to fill out a special form and pay a fee (yes, real fee, not a bribe) to someone from the Agriculture Dept., if I remember correctly.

Double-check the search function. I'm pretty sure it's been covered several times before. Also, I believe that Whirleybird brought some dogs into the country not too long ago, so PM her. She may be able to be more enlightening.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
In order to bring a dog into the DR, you need a Veterinarian's certificate of vaccination against rabies , issued at least 30 days prior to entry into the Dominican Republic. You also need another Vet's Certificate of Health which is to be issued within 2 weeks (14 days) of arrival.

Once you disembark, you have to go to Animal Control at the Airport and present your papers for review. When I brought my 2 llasa apsos in, it cost $600 pesos each (around $20.00 then).

If you are coming permanently, make sure you get them injected for fleas pretty soon after they come as dogs from afar seem to have a lot of trouble with flea infestation and it can make them really sick.

If you are just coming for a couple of weeks, I'd leave them at home.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I think you need vaccination for some other things besides rabies. Best to check with the Dominican Embassy in the country where you live. They gave us a list the first time we traveled with our dog. We come here for extended periods with our dog and go through Puerto Plata and get through Animal Control quickly.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Rabies vac. must be within 1 year. They will not accept the three year vac. here.

Bob K

senseifernandez

Apr 9, 2008
We're only going to be in DR for 10 days. Our dogs are 6 lbs each (a Yorkshire and a Chihuahua). We've also called the DR embassy but they told us two different things when we called at different times. The told us that their vacc. certs need to be legalized by the DR Embassy (going to DR), and legalized again by the American consulate in Santo Domingo (coming back to the States). Note that it costs $60/each.

This sounds all too elaborate. Please help!

Thank you so much!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
If only for 10 days, I would recommend getting a pet sitter or putting them into a kennel, not taking them along.

BTW, I had a Yorkie. With that long hair and the heat and humidity, she had a real hard time of it in the DR.

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
I dug out my paperwork for when I brought down my 2 Llasa Apso.

They had their rabies vaccinations and had to have a Health Certificate from the Vet - They have to be vaccinated for distemper, parvo-virus as well as rabies. There is an injection that is all-inclusive and I have my pets innoculated once a year anyways. However, the innoculations have to be done within a period not to exceed 30 days before departure.

All you have to do is have the shots, get the paperwork signed by a vet and when you get to the airport, go to the "Inspector de Sanidad Animal".

He checks the paperwork, creates a 'Certificado Zoosanitario Para Importacion" from the "Secretaria de Estado de Agricultura, Direccion General de Ganaderia, Division de Sanidad Animal".

He then gives you a receipt for your $600 pesos and you are on you way.

You do not have to go to any consulates or embassies or any other places for anything.

However, as has been said before, for such a short time, I'd seriously leave them at home.

The heat is very hard on little dogs and the flea infestation is absolutely incredible. I had groomed mine before coming down, but within a short time, I had to get them clipped again and get Daisy shots because she was out of her mind scratching, almost drawing blood.

Whether they are used to travelling or not (mine are), the weather alone is really hard on the little breeds.