SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
20 arrested in illegal betting operation
$450,000, vehicles and computers are netted

Thursday, May 01, 2008
BY GEORGE BERKIN
Star-Ledger Staff

Twenty people were arrested on gambling charges after authorities broke up what they said was an illegal betting operation that may have handled up to $200,000 a week.

The suspects, mostly from Passaic County, New York City and Westchester County, N.Y., were taken into custody on Tuesday, Passaic County Prosecutor James Avigliano said last night.

The names, ages and hometowns of the suspects were not available last night. Most were taken into custody in bodegas and restaurants. Their home towns included Passaic, Paterson, Garfield, Yonkers, N.Y., and Bronxville, N.Y.

As authorities moved in following the months-long investigation, they seized $450,000 in cash, six vehicles and numerous computers, Avigliano said.

The illegal operation was based on the legal lottery in the Dominican Republic, the prosecutor said, adding the majority of those arrested were originally from the Dominican Republic. Those arrested included U.S. citizens, legal residents and illegal immigrants, Avigliano said.

Charge

Feb 15, 2005
This is so ridicules, spending thousands of dollars on an investigation to find illegal backroom gambling parlors that are used by mostly hard working adults as a little recreation and a dream. As though the NY/NJ State Lotteries are fixed, please spare us. It's like, we can rob you of your dollars buy no one else can, we have the monopoly, on thievery.
The US Law enforcement should concentrate on why a CESSNA Jet that crashed in the Yucatan with 4 tons of Cocaine was linked as being previously used by the CIA for covert drug operations in Venezuela.

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
ones has to be resposible

I strongly believe that as adult we pretty much know what we are getting into. And all desicions have consecuency whether positive or negative. The ones that were arrested knew the posibility of the outcoming. Maybe they were not especting to ever be cougth but they knew that if cougth they would be in trouble. Recreation or not playing with the law is just a matter of time before they foud that someone is trying to cheat uncle Sam..........Ganbling or Apuestas it's still a chance winning or loosing........

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I strongly believe that as adult we pretty much know what we are getting into. And all desicions have consecuency whether positive or negative. The ones that were arrested knew the posibility of the outcoming. Maybe they were not especting to ever be cougth but they knew that if cougth they would be in trouble. Recreation or not playing with the law is just a matter of time before they foud that someone is trying to cheat uncle Sam..........Ganbling or Apuestas it's still a chance winning or loosing........

I agree. The US should throw every one that gambles in jail. What is 50 or 60 more million people in jail? This way the traffic problem in NY might disappear.

Feb 15, 2005
OK so it was illegal, so is gas gouging and the War in Iraq but it's done. Listen, I'm not saying that it's legal, it's my opinion that it's harmless and realistically puts regular folk who bet to bet on Lottery instead. This fills the politicians pockets only. When I was a kid, my mom used to play bolita (the numbers) every Friday. Perhaps spend $20-$30 it was her harmless hobbie, this was illegal but it was harmless. Thousands of immigrants play in a chance to win a little extra cash. What's the BIG deal?

Feb 15, 2005
Ridicules. The US Law enforcement is linked to drug trafficking 4 tons of coke and we're worry about Dominican Lottery.

Las Vegas places bets on everything and that's cool. What's the difference?

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Ridicules. The US Law enforcement is linked to drug trafficking 4 tons of coke and we're worry about Dominican Lottery.

Las Vagas pay taxes in huge amounts....illegal lotteries dont.
Las Vagas employs 1000's of people who pay taxes ...illegal lotteries dont .....getting the picture?

If you pay the gov and abide by the regulations of the state you can do it legally

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The difference is that New York, and New Jersey each have a legal monopoly on gambling. All forms of gambling.
This operation was illegal. Plain and simple, and depriving the state treasuries of income. That is why it is illegal.

The same way that those of us who buy Lotto tickets on the New York or Florida lotteries are doing so illegally...here in the DR.

Believe me, this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Now you know why three people were caught with 580KUS$ after landing in a private Dominican airplane at Las Americas!!! US$580,000 in cash!!

My oh my...

HB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
question

20 arrested in illegal betting operation
$450,000, vehicles and computers are netted

Thursday, May 01, 2008
BY GEORGE BERKIN
Star-Ledger Staff

Twenty people were arrested on gambling charges after authorities broke up what they said was an illegal betting operation that may have handled up to $200,000 a week.

The suspects, mostly from Passaic County, New York City and Westchester County, N.Y., were taken into custody on Tuesday, Passaic County Prosecutor James Avigliano said last night.

The names, ages and hometowns of the suspects were not available last night. Most were taken into custody in bodegas and restaurants. Their home towns included Passaic, Paterson, Garfield, Yonkers, N.Y., and Bronxville, N.Y.

As authorities moved in following the months-long investigation, they seized $450,000 in cash, six vehicles and numerous computers, Avigliano said.

The illegal operation was based on the legal lottery in the Dominican Republic, the prosecutor said, adding the majority of those arrested were originally from the Dominican Republic. Those arrested included U.S. citizens, legal residents and illegal immigrants, Avigliano said.

Charge

what exactly was illegal about what was being done here? can someone clear up the specifics as to what they were betting on? because i posted a question on here once about playing the Dominican Lotto here in the states and never got a clear answer so what exactly is this bust related to? :paranoid:

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Actually...

What is ridiculous is your defense for this. No matter if it is a small operation or a large one, it is ILLEGAL. Therefore must be stopped. This is like defending Quirino or Florian and making those fools out to be martyrs. There is a reason lotteries are regulated, because of its large tax revenues that end up helping the surrounding communities. I mean someone wins US$200 million for example the tax payout is in the millions. People can have their vice but the end result is beneficial for the state and the winner.

I think smoking marijuana is a harmless, as is drinking alcohol on Sundays or street racing but it is illegal and until the laws change people have to man up. US$400,000, 6 vehicles and some computers? How do we not know that these people weren't involved in illegal drug rackets and racketeering and money laundering?

I will tell you from personal experience that these small numbers groups dabble in much more than just the lottery, using the bodegas as a front. Running numbers is an easy way to clean out all your money. You just take you dirty money and run it through the bodega, or better yet lend the money out (loan sharking out) and get the money back third party style. Its the same with corner bookies who want to clean any dirty money. Plus racketeering festers in these places and drugs is the ultimate component. And to some degree, though I haven't seen this, prostitution can be involved.

When I lived in Boston I knew of a few bodegas that had back doors to them, which led to small cramped rooms. Some smaller than others, but thats where all the action happened. You think "Papi" behind the counter is just selling you the "loteria?" Riiiiight! Papi knows about who's moving what and where and don;t be surprised that the FEDS start connecting the dots and find more than 400,000 in cash. And just by the looks of it, sounds like a real cheesy operation. I figure numbers wise they would have had close to a million in cash.

The problem with these operations is that they deal in cash only and it is impossible for the authorities to trace their activities. I mean 400,000 in cash? Thats the reason you can't enter the country without declaring more than US$10,000 in cash. But I would guess you'd defend that as being a silly rule also.

Last edited:

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Full house

I agree. The US should throw every one that gambles in jail. What is 50 or 60 more million people in jail? This way the traffic problem in NY might disappear.

I don't think that is a matter of how many more can be taken to jail our how full is it already. Rules are to be follow.........el papaupa de la matica......will always be couth.........It is set in especific books...Broken rules.......Principals office...........

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
what exactly was illegal about what was being done here? can someone clear up the specifics as to what they were betting on? because i posted a question on here once about playing the Dominican Lotto here in the states and never got a clear answer so what exactly is this bust related to? :paranoid:

The US has more laws on the books than any country in the world.

AP

February 29, 2008 -- For the first time in history, more than one in every 100 American adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report.
The report, released yesterday by the Pew Center on the States, said the 50 states spent more than $49 billion on correction last year, up from less than $11 billion 20 years earlier. The rate of increase for prison costs was six times greater than for higher-education spending, the report said.
Using updated state-by-state data, the report said 2,319,258 adults were held in US prisons or jails at the start of 2008 - one out of every 99.1 adults, and more than any other country in the world.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh yea, one of those arrested in the US$580.000 case is the son of one of the judges of the Supreme Court...He said "he didn't know...."

HB

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Declaring cash

That $580,000 was drug money, not from bolitas.

I think what HB was referring to was entering the country without declaring the cash, ie explaining where you got it from. Basically saying that the way the gamblers clean their money out is taking it over seas because a bodega owner or unemployed person would be hard pressed to explained where he got 600,000 G's in cash.

Last edited:

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
I think what HB was referring to was entering the country without declaring the cash, ie explaining where you got it from. Basically saying that the way the gamblers clean their money out is taking it over seas because a bodega owner or unemployed person would be hard pressed to explained where he got 600,000 G's in cash.

even if they won the money on an illegal lottery it would be hard to explain away and they would not get to keep it long enough to spend it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
im confused, were these people busted JUST for gambling? so this had NOTHING to do with the dominican lottery whatsoever? thats what i want to clear up

I assume they were booking bets on the Lottery numbers drawn in the Dominican Lottery in the DR and paying off on these numbers. Just an assumption.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Playing on DR #s

im confused, were these people busted JUST for gambling? so this had NOTHING to do with the dominican lottery whatsoever? thats what i want to clear up

The illegal operation was based on the legal lottery in the Dominican Republic.