Al Horford gets robbed!!!!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Al Horford, the Dominican rookie power forward for the Atlanta Hawks has just been robbed by the NBA!!!! Horford was in line to win the NBA's rookie of the year award, but instead it was given to Seattle rookie Kevin Durant. Granted, Durant is the poster boy for the new NBA, drafted first overall and did score more points. But Horford was a better prospect, and more deserving. Look at the stats: Durant scored 20 points per game with 4 rebounds and 2 assists while Horford averaged a double double for the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds, adding an average of 1 block, 2 assists per game all the while shooting 49% from the field and starting in 77 of 81 games. The kid was a work horse and was playing out of position the whole season. Add to that the fact that he did this on a playoff team, and he was a key component in bringing the Hawks to the playoffs. As for the playoffs, Horford has shown his talent by posting solid post season stats and helping the Hawks beat the Celtics. Thus far he has scored 12.8 points, 11.2 rebounds, and 3.6 assists per game. I am outraged. This is a shame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Mr. Lu....he wuz robbed!!! He took or helped take Atlanta to the playoffs. And he helped them come back from a 0-2 deficit...
Wouldn't it be something if Atl beat Boston???

HB

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
I Love Big Al But He Wasnt Robbed ..the Award Is Best Rookie Not Most Valuable Rookie Not To Mention Kevin Durant Wasnt Drafted First Overall ...not To Mention Durant Played Power Forward In College And Switching To Shooting Guard Is Easier Said Then Done ....

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I wouldn't worry too much about it, he has great future ahead of him. He is a natural power foward playing out of position. If the Hawks get a decent center or Al moves to a team where he plays power forward his numbers will get better especially his scoring. That said, he did quite well this year but I wouldn't say he was robbed.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
If has was able to get the Hawks back in the Playoffs, I say the guy is pretty damn good!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
NBA.com: Kevin Durant Named T-Mobile Rookie of the Year

Yes, Durant had better stats, but I would take Horford over Durant if I had an NBA team. Without him Atlanta would be home watching TV.

One other thing to remember about the voting. Only the regular season counts, so what he did in the playoffs does not help in the voting at all.

As you can see from the article, it was still close, even with Durant"s stats. He has a bright future.

Tito Horford Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com

His father also played in the NBA.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
This was Horford's award. I only wish the kid the best in his career. I def hope he doesn't hit the sophomore slump...Horford: MVP in a few seasons and a title in waiting.

:)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ditto to what Skippy and DK said. BTW, where in the world did he get such a gringo name? Shouldn't it be more like Miguel Pirulu Bencosme or something? :)

DOMINICAN-KIDD

Mar 21, 2008
I WOULDNT SAY ALL OF THAT NOW BUT HE IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A SOLID PRO MAYBE LIKE A CARLOS BOOZER TYPE OF PLAYER !!

I AM VERY HAPPY THAT HE STAYED AN EXTRA YEAR IN COLLEGE AND OTHER DOMINICANS LIKE FRANCISCO GARCIA AND CHARLIE VILLANUEVA HAD GOOD YEARS AS WELL

WATCH OUT FOR ELOY VARGAS HE IS A DOMINICAN BORN PLAYER WHO IS PROJECTED TO BE A HIGH SCHOOL ALL-AMERICAN AND PLAY FOR THE FLORIDA GATORS IN THE 2009-10 SEASON

This was Horford's award. I only wish the kid the best in his career. I def hope he doesn't hit the sophomore slump...Horford: MVP in a few seasons and a title in waiting.

:)