Sending documents to Immigration Canada....2008 discussion

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Well I just got off the phone with the Candian embassy in Port au prince, and they informed me they have a new privacy law that they will not release any information about your file or your application on phone or email anymore, and since, they do not respond to letters, faxes etc. it is going to be even harder to get information. I asked her why there was no information posted on the website about our file, it just says unavailable and she did not have an answer for me, when I asked to speak to a supervisor she of course hung up which I am getting very used in Port au prince.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
my thoughts exactly, when I was finished with Haiti my next call was to my MP. This is getting a little out of hand, and I am not the only one exeriencing the same thing

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Sending documents to Immigration Canada

Hi

My husband just received a letter from the embassy in Haiti stating he needs to send all original papers to Haiti within 90 days. I am a little bit worried about sending originals. The letter states they want the original
1. marriage certificate
2. birth certificate
3. another police record done
4. and the original papers from the office who translated all of our documents(what does that mean)
5. his original identification ( what does that mean?)
6. his passport

The letter states to send them to the embassy. I thought you only had to bring originals with you when you went. As I have no trust in Haiti I am looking for anyone who has gone through this or any advice.

What does all this mean, as anyone else received this same letter. Of course it is the weekend so no government office is open, but you can bet I will be at my MP office Monday morning. Should I be concerned about sending originals. Will I ever get them back ?

Last edited by a moderator:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
request official copy/original

I don't have any for sure answers for you but I can tell you that you can request official copies of the originals.

I brought our marriage certificate home with me & my husband needed an original to renew his cedula and went to the OFISCALIA CIVIL and he now has copies of both marriage certificate & birth certificate.

Just an idea, but this way you don't have to worry about something being lost forever.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
That is weird that they want the Originals since they specificaly ask for photocopies in the Immigration package.

You can always get certified copies if you need them later - since they asked for his passport too that could be a good sign...I would send by courier, that way you can track it.

Maybe your husband should fax you a copy of the letter he received so you can see exactly what it says?

How long have your papers been in Haiti?

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
complicated

My story is quite complicated, my papers went to Haiti in August, at one point I was told they logged them in sometime in December, but I am now told they started paper screening in Feb. So depends who asks the questions and whether or not they want to reply. I know they ask for photocopies, and we had everything trnaslated and certified copies sent, I have no idea why they want more papers, I did see the leter they sent to my husband and it is exactly what he said it was I am very confused and frustrated with the whole system and nothing gets updated and no email has have been replied to for me.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Don't ask the why, because you'll only get more frustrated and they will not process your husband if you don't send them what they want. He can take the stuff to the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo and they will send it out, but We sent everything by courier, that way ensuring everything got there, and what date...etc. With my wife the process was very smooth-8 months total(1999) but for my mother-in-law 2 years, they lost her medical records, she had her medical redone, then they took so long she had to have it rdone again, at $100 each time. Good Luck.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
My story is quite complicated, my papers went to Haiti in August, at one point I was told they logged them in sometime in December, but I am now told they started paper screening in Feb. So depends who asks the questions and whether or not they want to reply. I know they ask for photocopies, and we had everything trnaslated and certified copies sent, I have no idea why they want more papers, I did see the leter they sent to my husband and it is exactly what he said it was I am very confused and frustrated with the whole system and nothing gets updated and no email has have been replied to for me.

Hi mart0417

I know you have been talking with your MP, so why don't you bring them a copy of the letter they sent your husband. So they can ask them in Haiti what exactly they want, so you don't waste any time. You only have 90 days and you don't want to spend more money if you don't have to. My MP usaully will get an e-mail back from them in three days, faster than we would ever get. In fact Haiti would never send one back any time soon.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Sending documents to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti

Well jsut to give you a little update we sent our papers to Haiti ( again) we sent all originals, we had them translated ( again) and sent them off, I requested that someone sign for them when they arrive. This shoudl be the finally time they ask for papers. I spoke to my MP and he spoke to Missauga adn Ottawa about sending originals, but the only response was " she needs to send what Haiti is asking for" even though in the application forms is says many times not to sent originals. We also have a letter from our Lawyer that went along with an official stamp on it stating he saw what went into the package before it was sent. haiti should have all the papers this week and hopefully this is our last brick wall!!!!!!!

Johana

May 24, 2006
Mart,
hopefully this will be all you have to send them!!!!!

I just called my MP's office...they have still not heard anything and it has been 2 weeks since they emailed. So MP's office will send another request...and the assistant tells me I should give it at least another 2 weeks for them to hear back!!!!

This is getting very frustrating...especially seeing as I found out from another girl that was approved in Feb as a sponsor that her husband's papers are now in process.

BTW it was great meeting you and your husband :)

Jo-Anne

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Good time

I had a really good time and it was great meeting up with you. I would not stress to much about the website I think it is a hit and miss process for them. I know my application is in process because I haev to do all these things and my MP has that confirmation, and the web site still says unavailable. I have promised myself that I will not look at the website anymore, it really does not tell you anything anyway. My MP usually gets a response back to me with 2 days.

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Sending documents to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti

FYI Fed Ex will not deliver packages to Haiti because all they provide is a po box number. I found this out after my package was paid for sent and returned to me today.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
That's weird they didn't tell you that beforehand. We use FedEx at work and they have never taken anything for a PO Box...sometimes we get a new person that slips up and they always are quick to remind that person. That's too bad...how are you going to send them? Are you in Canada? Where are you? Can you take send them to Mississauga for them to forward?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I know what you guys mean about checking the website...it is addicting...even though I know it is far too soon for me to expect anything, I can't help but check it...I guess hope is the only thing we can count on!

Stay positive!!

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Documents To Haiti

Mart0417
I have lived and worked in haiti for the last 2 years and I am frequently receiving Shipping Documents sent from Canada and USA with DHL.

DHL is very established here and obviously very reliable - I am not sure what Documents you are trying to send or to whom but if you have an address then it should work fine.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Lexi,
I have been checking as well....only to know the date that it actually changes to In Process (which is still Not Available).

This is listed under the FAQ
Q3: I sent my application a while ago, but there is no record of my application in the system. Why?

A3: Until the visa office or case processing centre to which you submitted your application for immigration or citizenship has begun processing your application, your application status will not be available through CAS. It is not necessary to contact the Call Centre - or, in the case of applications submitted outside Canada, the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate overseas - regarding the status of any in-Canada applications unless the specified time period referred to below for the specific type of application has passed. Applications are processed according to the standard Application Processing Times.

This is why I went to my MP to see what was going on. Based on a lot of timelines, including people approved before and after me, they have seen the website change to In Process for their spouse about 6-8 weeks after being approved as the sponsor. When this did not happen for me I waited another 6 weeks and when there was still no change I went to my MP.

I know there may be a million reasons as to why cases are handled differently. However, under the current laws (which as we know are about to change) they are supposed to process in order of receipt. So how someone that was approved 2 months after me and their spouse's application got worked on first makes think our papers got there late, or were sitting on someone's desk not being touched.
And before someone jumps on this to say that there was a problem...I was meticulous with the application...to the point that on my first document checklist I had checked the boxes with a checkmark and then even rechecked that document and saw the instructions said put and "X" so I reprinted and put X's instead of checkmarks.
Even the fotos my husband sent had not been cut down to the exact size on their instruction sheet and I cut each and every one to fit perfectly into the little square.

So Lexi, I would keep checking the website....it will be the only way you will get an indication if everything is processing "normally" or if you need to get help from your MP.