"Mock" Presidential Debate 2008

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I thought I would share something here quickly.

After preparing for several weeks, three of my high school students assumed the identities of Leonel Fernandez, Miguel Vargas, and Amable Asisty and had an hour and fifteen minute debate in front of the whole school today.

Here are a few of the questions we asked them (they all did their best and answered well).

Questions for all three candidates:

The past few years have brought both new and higher taxes. However, many citizens work under the table and do not pay at all. This makes it very difficult to compete for those who play by the rules. How would you make the tax collection system fairer?
-------------------------------------------
The traffic in Santo Domingo seems to get worse everyday. (1) Do you think the metro will help alleviate congestion? (2) What will you do to make traveling and transporting goods within the country safer and more efficient?
--------------------------------------------
We are all familiar with the Haitian massacre of 1937 where over 20,000 lost their lives at the hands of the Trujillo regime. Do you think the Dominican Republic should formally apologize to the Haitian people?
---------------------------------------------

Questions for Amable Aristy:

You?ve been head of the Municipal League for several years. Can you tell us (1) what the Municipal League Does and (2) what accomplishment you are most proud of during your time there?

You call yourself the President of the poor, but what about the middle and upper classes? How would they benefit from your presidency?

Questions for Leonel Fernandez:

The Metro has been one of the centerpieces of your re-election campaign. Do you believe that it has been worth the cost which is approaching US$1 billion?

Do you think you have done a better job over the past four years at fighting corruption than the previous Hiploito Mejia administration? Why?

Questions for Miguel Vargas:

You were head of public works from 2000-2004. Can you tell us (1) which project during that time you are most proud of and (2) how did you that the Dominican people?s money was spent wisely and transparently?

Who do you look up to in the PRD? Who are your political heroes (past or present) and why?

The candidates then asked each other questions and made final arguments.
---------------------------------

It was a lot of fun to see these kids do so well.

I wish the real candidates could be made to answer questions like these.

RHM

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
When the time comes for 'real" presidential debates in the DR we can exclaim there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps in that group of students you just might have inspire one of them to take the country in a more mature democratic road.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting subject !
How sad it is that the Nation is so far behind...