Utilities

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Can someone give me the names (and phone #s or websites if you know them) of Utility companies that service the Santiago area (specifically San Jose de las Matas)?

I have asked my friends there and everyone is giving me the same answer which is basically "Don't worry about it...we will hook it up"

I do not want my utilities "hooked up". I want them legally so as not to have any problems. But when I try to explain that...they look at me as if I am crazy to WANT to pay for these services.

The DR is not my native country and I do not want to invite problems...

Anyway...I am looking for
Water Company
Electric Company
Hi Speed Internet Company
Phone Company
Cable Company, etc

Also, for a move in date of August when should I call and set things up to ensure that I have these services there on time, as I know that things are SLOW there...to say the least.

Thanks guys...even though I know that my friends just want to save me money...
I don't steal cable, lights, or water here, why would I want to do it there?
But they don't understand.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Out of curiousity, if you were moving near friends in another part of your country and they were suggesting you steal water/electricty, etc, would you consider it normal or would you consider it a warning sign about the type of people?

Adrian (A DR resident for 6.5 years)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look, it does not happen like that. You are thinking USA, and this is the DR..

When you get here, you go to the offices of EDE-Norte, with your passport and request a contract.
then you go to the Acueducto and do the same thing. Then the CODETEL or Tricom or Centennial office and request your phone/computer hookup. Same thing for Cable...

You need to do these things personally or pay a lot for some lawyer to do it.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Out of curiousity, if you were moving near friends in another part of your country and they were suggesting you steal water/electricty, etc, would you consider it normal or would you consider it a warning sign about the type of people?

Adrian (A DR resident for 6.5 years)

I promised myself before that I was not going to get into it with you again.
I will not answer your curiosity as you only seek to make me respond in a way that will get my post deleted...

Please either answer the question, offer some Utility company names, or move on thank you...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Look, it does not happen like that. You are thinking USA, and this is the DR..

When you get here, you go to the offices of EDE-Norte, with your passport and request a contract.
then you go to the Acueducto and do the same thing. Then the CODETEL or Tricom or Centennial office and request your phone/computer hookup. Same thing for Cable...

You need to do these things personally or pay a lot for some lawyer to do it.

HB

Thanks so much Hillbilly...
So, I know Codetel is for the internet, is Tricom also
The Acueducto for water?
EDE-Norte...I'm guessing electricity?
And still don't know cable...

But right after I post this I will web search those names
Thanks Again

I will do it personally, I think. Do I take a copy of my lease with me?

Feb 7, 2007
I agree with Hillbilly, you will nto get anything done over the phone. You need to do that in person, with your passport.

For example here -

EdeEste (electricity) - passport + contract + deposit - paid in person - site revision (about 2 days later) you have to be present to sign on the sheet, then you get a contract sign on that, then you get a meter and you are ready to go. Without bribes or "knowing someone" about 7-10 days total.

Codetel - passport, you get a contract, pay deposit, your line is hooked up within 3-7 business days, Internet - after that. If you do not know anybody, count on countless problems. Ask the salesperson if they know any techs (they know) and their phone number - offer them $$ (to techs) to speed up installation. Also, if you are new to DR Codetel may not want necessarily to install you Internet for 3 montsh until you prove your credit worthiness (strange, I know, but that's the way it is) - you may need to put thye line after somebody else's name and after 3 months do a simple swicth to your name.

Cable - any form of ID, pay installation, be available for installation, sign on the sheet, you get the box, ready to go - the simplest one of all of the above. And it's only about "3 days" if they aren't that much busy...

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I promised myself before that I was not going to get into it with you again.

I'm not interested in an argument. Based on my experience and your posts, it seems to me like you're heading for trouble. But, I hope you can make it work and I wish you well.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SKing: FOrget the Internet.!!!! You are stressing out. You don't have to, that is why we are so cool and laid back here. What? Me Worry??? No way...
Get here, do it all in one day in a town like SAJOMA....

There MUST be a cable company up there, there is one in every little town...
As for the rest, do as Rubio__Higuey says....

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks guys...I will just wait until I get there and go from there...

Hillbilly, you of all people should know that I'm always stressing out;)!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not interested in an argument. Based on my experience and your posts, it seems to me like you're heading for trouble. But, I hope you can make it work and I wish you well.

Thank you, I appreciate that.
You will be the first I let know when trouble comes, but again thanks for the well wishes...

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If you don't have your residency, DO NOT FORGET to bring along your fiador. That is a dominicano who already has an account with them, who has a cedula, who will guarantee your account. Bring your maid! Bring a motoconchisto! Bring anyone with a cedula! It doesn't matter if you have gold-balls credit wherever you are coming from, SOMEONE HAS TO GUARANTEE YOU WILL PAY!

I remember this experience bitterly (can't you tell?). Save a trip - bring someone along to sign for you!