Doing research abroad

LadyEph87

May 3, 2008
Hello all,

I'm traveling to DR this summer as part of a research grant from my college in order to do fieldwork for a thesis project. My project focuses on exploring Dominican culture as it is displayed through food choices, meal preparations, and other food-related traditions. I'm planning to head to Santiago (or to the North coast) for two weeks and then to Santo Domingo to compare the two areas and their traditions (this will involve lots of interviews, visiting lots of markets and street vendors, etc.). I will be traveling with one other female student and we are on a very tight budget. Can someone recommend any cheap (but safe) places to stay in Santiago? Would the North coast be more conducive to my project? We probably won't be able to afford a place that charges more than $30/nt. I'm open to all suggestions and help that will help my project get on its way.

Thanks!

LadyEph87

May 3, 2008
Thanks HB!

Another question tied to my post...where are some spots in Santiago that locals like to eat/hang out? Any good clubs/eateries/restaurants/parks?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lady: Click on the search function and type in "clubs Santiago" and you will see a long list of places where people hang out!

HB