Flooding after Debbie?

L

louise

This is from CNN today: "The Dominican Republic's emergency Civil Defense force said more than 700 people in towns and cities on the northern coast were forced out of their homes by flooding."

Is this true and does anyone know where on the northern coast?

A

arcoiris

yes, it is true. although Debbie weakened as far as wind was concerned it rained a lot. I was told this morning that it was still raining. As far as the details, I read the newspapers in Spanish and hope that others would update and translate into English for you. If you read Spanish, here is the link for the Listin, which has a beautiful picture of the waves on one of the shores.

W

William Leslie

Re: Flooding after Debbie? WHERE?

I would like to know where. It certainly was not anywhere near Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete or Rio San Jaun. We have had only ocassional light rain with intermitent sunshine and light overcast the rest of the time. Actually a nice change from the hot sun and we have been able to do more work (out of doors)

D

DR1

Evacuations were a preventive measure (as reported in the Listin Diario), such as is occurring in Florida at this time. Note that thousands of Dominicans live in vulnerable shacks and near rivers.

W

William Leslie

Thank you DR1. Evacuated as a precautionary measure is different and much better for all than forced out by flooding which appears not to have happened.

N

Natasha

Arcoiris, I would advise you to re-read the article before spreading the wrong information. The towns that were flooded were in provinces in and around the Cibao Valley, which is very wet area to begin with. By the tone of the article, it does not appear that major havoc was caused by Debby's rains. On the contrary, an official even states that some of the flooding is beneficial for the new farming. The Cibao Valley is not on the north coast, as I am sure you know.

Regards,
Natasha

A

arcoiris

I invited you all to translate the Listin article, and I did not misquote anything. I said that it was true that there was some flooding and some evacuations...period. It might still be good to translate the article itself instead of arguing about an article which she can't read. I didn't say there was much flooding or where, or who was evacuated or why. It is true that there was only some flooding in certain areas, and that the evacuations were mainly for precautionary reaasons. A translation of the article would have made that clear.

N

Natasha

Louise: "This is from CNN today: "The Dominican Republic's emergency Civil Defense force said more than 700 people in towns and cities on the northern coast were forced out of their homes by flooding."

"Is this true and does anyone know where on the northern coast?"

Arcoiris, without spending too much time on this, I am pasting this here so that you can see what Louise was asking. Clearly, she was referring to the north coast of the country. Williamleslie, who I believe lives in the north coast, answered to the best of his knowledge. You, on the other hand, quickly wrote that it was true, based on an article that does not even talk about flooding in the north coast. Either, it was bad faith, or you mis-read Louise's question. I was pointing out your inaccuracy, that's all.

Regards,
Natasha

A

arcoiris

I clicked on the Listin link, expecting to see the same article, but saw a new front page and a new article about the damage and flooding. It mentions La Vega and Santiago areas as most affected...if you click on today, Friday, you will see it. Along with the description of some damage to bridges and crops it also mentions that the rainfall is beneficial and that it calls now for planting the crops that do well planted in these conditions. This may include rice since rice does well in climates where there is a rainy and dry season. You are again welcome to translate it into English for those who can't read Spanish. It is hard for me to do from here since I need to see both the text and the screen for writing. I usually do those things from another location. Aren't we glad that we are only arguing about minimal damage, and not major damage? Williamleslie's, DR1's, and your posts are most welcome in their clarifications...I never meant mine to be the only word.

M

Mystified

I thought this ARCOIRIS worked for the Dominican Government?

M

Mystified

Someone help me please. So many conflicitng reports, many from people not even in The Country and others from people on the North Coast and yet official messages from the Govt Official Arcoiris

I would really like to know as I am scheduled to leave of Porto Plata this Monday

W

William Leslie

I am here now in Sosua & Puerto Plata. We are having great weather. Sunny with some clouds almost no breeze...perfect.
Do not listen to those not living here right now as they know nothing but rumours because as you see everybody is saying something different except the residents here that have all told you basically the same thing.
Ask Eddy, Roberto, Gringo in Puerto Plata etc. ALSO SEE the DR1 Hurricane Updates- see headings at the top of the message index.

A

arcoiris

Are you saying that you are a better source of information than the Listin, or CNN, or Ultima Hora? Does anybody know who "Williamleslie" is, or Mystified? and why they are contradicting the Listin Diario and CNN? You are right that I am not presently in the DR, but I heard directly from people that I really know, and I can read Spanish to see what the Listin and the newspapers say. Why are you trying to deny that these sources are reliable sources? Maybe you don't read Spanish. Yet, Natasha reads Spanish, and she knows very well that there were reports of flooding, crop damage, and loss of some poor folks shanties. Is it that you are afraid of people knowing that? Why? You are only undermining your own credibility, since the Listin is a credible source and to contradict it puts your own info in question.
Let's see what they say today.

R

Roberto

Re: Flooding after Debbie?-To Every one

Hola every body

I was not able to read the Listin Diario ore any others local news paper
but I have being following the Local News+CNN/Univision/Tele Mundo and others international news Channel
During the Hurricane and after

according with what they said no damage have being really cause beside some none significant inundation on some Fragile geography that would happened with normal rain

now after the hurricane I had being calling my friends and I was able to visit A few places
I had saw yes A few very Fragile house on the cost of nagua/Montecristi that had some damages on the roof but does roof could be repair in questions of ours
about loss of life I don't have any prove yet that this had happen
fore the other site I mean Haiti the situations with the inundations was little Ross but also no prove of lose life

Have A nice week end all of you

Regards

Roberto

W

William Leslie

Re: Flooding after Debbie?My last comment

Arcoiris why are you accusing people again? Why have you said Mystified contradicted somebody when that person only asked a question? I refer you also to the comments above from Roberto who also lives here in the country and has contacts all over the island..I guess he is wrong as well but you who are not here is always correct?. We can not help it if your supposed friends are wrong in the fact they are grossly overexagerating.
I also had family arrive here today from both Santo Domingo and Rio San Juan. None of them saw any damage and they do not come from the wealthy areas but from the barrios.
Why don't you pull that burr out of your a.. and get real. Read and listen to whats happening from more than one source and and stop prematurely irritating people. I see why others complain about you. And you definitely are not any rainbow..rainbows are happy and positive things.
You should know that frequently CNN has been in error such as after hurricane Georges when they ORIGINALLY stated (along with a couple of other news sources) that the hurricane damaged the ENTIRE island which was totally untrue as the north coast was untouched in that hurricane as well.
I am finished on this subject, argue with someone else but I am sure you will have the last word on this shortly. (unfortunately it is not your last word.)

W

William Leslie

Re: Flooding.The ?? was about the NORTH COAST! D.C *DC*

A

arcoiris

Re: Flooding after Debbie?My last comment

ok, williamleslie, I will say that you are right and it only sprinkled a little. Does that mean the Listin used a fake photo to show the broken bridge? The Listin is lying?

A

arcoiris

Re: Roberto

It is possible to look at back issues of the Listin. Just click on this site, and look to see where to click for back issues. Check the 24th - 26th. Nice pictures of real high waves and a broken bridge. You can read Spanish. At least you admit some roofs were blown off of some huts. There was no loss of life, thank God. And it is really old news now anyway. I am sorry, but I have to say I still trust what CNN and the Listin say more than any of you here. And I know what I saw on the satellite map, and what my friends said. I know also that you are interested in minimizing any damage for the sake of not discouraging any tourists. The same way you don't want to admit there is a rainy season, etc., etc. I have really about given up hope to receive anything but tourist disinformation on this site.

N

Natasha

Arcoiris' conspiracy theory

Arco, you are losing it. I don't understand why you just can't admit your errors. It would be much easier to do so than for us to keep reminding you of your mistakes. The issue is not that there was no flooding, damage, heavy rains, ect. due to Debby because there was. The issue is that you "declared" that the north coast was heavily flooded. On what grounds and evidence? On an article by the Listin, one that you so quickly provided a link to. Well, yes, some of us read Spanish, actually, it is our first language, and based on the article THAT YOU PROVIDED, there was no mention of flooding on the north coast.

Like I said before, you either misread Louise's question, misinterpreted the article (do you even read Spanish?) or it was bad faith. I gave you the benfit of the doubt. You turned defensively, as usual.

You trust CNN more? Good for you. Some of us take much of CNN and many other news sources with a grain of salt. After being on DR1 for over two years now, I tend to trust some people's words on this board much better, specially those who live in my country on a full-time basis. I still read news sources say only 100 people died during Georges, by the way ;-)

When someone contradicts you, you resort to writing that they are trying to "minimize negative information for the sake of not discouraging tourists". Now you accuse Roberto of doing that...now that you feel contradicted by him. I think Arco, that is getting kind of old, don't you think? And let's just suppose for a minute that was the case, some of the contributors trying to do just that. Can you just imagine how much of an impact they would have on the tourism industry if they purposely minimize negative information about the DR on this board? WOW, a big impact! You are taking this board too serious Arcoiris. Save your words for the big battles you often fight here and just admit you made a small mistake. And I say this because I know you're not going to go anywhere, even when you say you don't get anything but "tourist disnformation on this board." Even when you are banned, you always find a way to come back, so what's the point?

Regards,
Natasha

R

Roberto

Re: Arcoiris-please read care-fully

Arcoiris wrote

I know also that you are interested in minimizing any damage for the sake of not discouraging any tourists. The same way you don't want to admit there is a rainy season, etc., etc. I have really about given up hope to receive anything but tourist misinformation on this site.

Hi Arcoiris
well I believe you don't know me enough

I have never being against telling the truth
the only thing I have being against are people who tell the truth deliberating with out thinking the prices that many people/org will pay fore telling it in the way that the do it

people who know me knows very well that if something will damages inocente/indefens people
I will tell it even wen I do saw my Job/Life will be in Jeopardy

I do not have A suicide site either I am Crazy
but yes I believe that if I have to loose A lousy job in the name of the truth to defend innocent people that have more then I to loose I will do it once again and again

so please do not write this comment about me again Thank you

I do admit that there are A raining seasons
what I don't admit are the arrogance of some writer/org that write it with out any valible explanation
acting as if there where god

we all know that the weather are crazy world wide
since el ni?o/la ni?a many people don't understand any more the weather

so by just taking the Agency Travel/and some books advice you would find you self some times in big surprise
talking about raining seasons
if you don't believe me ask the tourist that have being here on the last 08 years

in what part you are rithg wen you say that

I am interested in minimizing any damage for the sake of not discouraging any tourists

you are 100% rithg because we have many people
in the news paper and in this board as well who love to alarm people with out any need
by writing precipitin news based only on what they hear ore A little fact that they had saw on A radio of 20 Kilometer
forgetting that we have 29 province

like this guy writing once that the Dominican Republic was burning in firer because of some isolated Strike cause by ours Electricity problem and fruit of the Democracy wind that we are growing

Regards

Roberto