Is there a Cigar Limit to Bring to the US

J

Joseph McCarthy

Is there a limit on how many Cigars can be brought to the
states or can you bring as many as you want?

T

tgf

According to the Canadian customs office web page entering from Canada into the US you are allowed 100 cigars (not of Cuban origin) when entering the US. I guess this would be uniform for all countries.

M

Milo

I thought this was an interesting question so I looked it up on the U.S. Customs home page. It says you can bring back up to 100 cigars. If you bring more you can pay the import fee?
They are specific about not bringing in Cuban cigars but Dominican cigars are great anyway so why chance that? They also mention that the State you enter may also require you to pay some tax.

J

Joseph McCarthy

Re: If you brought back a Cuban Cigar, what happen

What do they do, through you in jail, take the cigars, dock you from some pay....what do they do????....just curios

M

Milo

They say it is prohibited, but they don't say what will happen if they catch you with a Cuban cigar. I would like to hear if this has happened to anyone out there. My guess would be that they would give you a lecture,take the cigar and let you go.
That's just a guess. Any first hand experience with this?????

T

tgf

I think they would probably just confiscate the cigars, but they would have the option (unlikely they would enforce) of prosecution including fines and/or jail time.

P

peter

I went to Cuba several years ago via. Totonto. Coming back through Buffalo immigration we were asked if we had any Cuban cigars or rum. We didn't. I sensed that there was a concern about Cuban products but they didn't care if we traveled there.

L

Lyse

I tough it was 50 cigars. I know for sure it's 200 cigarettes and 1 liter of alcohol.

T

tgf

Re: Is there a Cigar Limit to Bring (Lyse)

You're right about 50 cigars if you are entering Canada, but Joseph was asking about the USA where the limit is 100.

L

Lyse

Could you give me the link for the US Customs. I heard more than once that Americans come to Montreal to buy Cuban cigars because they were allowed to enter the States with Cuban cigars if they were bought outside Cuba.

L

Lyse

I tough that it was 50 in the States too. Thanks

J

Joseph McCarthy

Whats concidered a good Cigar....

What makes it a good cigar and What brand should I look for. My friends want me to buy 1 or 2 cigars each and they are giving me $10 - $20 per cigar. I dont smoke, so I dont know. Whats concidered good and is $10 -$20 per cigar and expensive good cigar or a cheap good cigar.

T

tgf

Lyse, try this link. Half way down the page is a heading "Duty-Free Limits for Visitors Returning to the US," this also covers entering Canada and US. Should answer any questions you have.

PS. I don't know how I got into this thread since I am not a smoker (anymore) or a Canadian, but I love to travel to Canada as well as the Dominican Republic and used to love Dominican cigars (I probably still do, but won't let myself partake).

S

Sarah

Regarding your trip to Cuba, were you allowed to fly directly there from the US or did you have to pass through another country, stopping there and then entering into Cuba? I thought I had heard that it was not legal to travel directly from US to Cuba. I'm curious because of a trip we may plan in the future. Thanks in advance for the info, Sarah

S

Sarah

Re: Whats concidered a good Cigar....

I recently bought some "good cigars" in Barahona at a shop for $50RD/$3US each. I don't really know if they were that good, as I don't smoke cigars, but I was told they were good. But I know Hillbilly can give you a better idea on pricing than anyone.

J

jim

Re: Whats concidered a good Cigar....

you can buy very good cigars just outside of santiago,right where they make them 25-30 us per box of 25,I brought 8 boxes back last april,if you are caught with cuban cigars they(customs) take them.....jim

M

Milo

U.S. Customs

<A HREF="http://www.customs.ustreas.gov">http://www.customs.ustreas.gov</A>

Look under travel information, it says 100 cigars, and 200 cigarettes and 1 liter of booze and a non-duty total of $600.00 or less.

J

Joseph McCarthy

Bring Cuban Cigars, This is what I found.

Only persons returning directly from Cuba after a licensed visit there are permitted to bring Cuban cigars into the United States, provided the value of such cigars does not exceed $100 US dollars and the cigars are for that individuals personal use and not for resale. All other importations of Cuban cigars are illegal. All offers to buy or sell such cigars in the United States involve cigars that were imported illegally. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico).

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

L

Lyse

I tought there was no direct flight USA - Cuba ?????????