Camp David Ranch

Feb 15, 2005
Hello All,

Can anyone give me a review of Camp David Resort in Santiago.

For a stay of two nights is it
1) Romantic
2) Easy to get to and from the City and dancing

Other recommendations.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Haven't been up there for a while, but it is a favorite place of mine.

Romantic? It does not get any more romantic.
Easy access? No, it is somewhat removed from the city. However, for a price, taxis go up and down that hill all the time...

You are about 20-25 minutes from most places....

HB

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I stay there regularly and I love it - the food and service are great.

Very romantic with a stunning view over the city on a clear day. I prefer the rooms in the newer of the two buildings opposite reception however they are in the process of renovating all the older rooms, some of which have unobscured views.

If you opt for room number 3 (if I remember right) which is above the restaurant, be prepared to be woken up very early each morning when they move and set the tables outside!

Their rates recently increased slightly so check their website for up to date info.

It appears that they listened to our feedback and have installed mini fridges in some rooms ;).....so if you want a room with a fridge make sure you mention this when booking.

It's a little out of the city but if you have access to a car it's very easy to reach and the roads are good. As HB mentioned - many mini cabs are willing to go up there 24 hrs

Enjoy your stay!
Daydream

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
My favorite place in Santiago . Very romantic . Wonderful scenery at ''Valle del Cibao'' specially at night . Nice restaurant . Good food . Decent rooms . Try new building . Just loved to wake up , so quite , fresh air , pleasantly cool but not cold . You have to drive up the mountain , about 15-20 min. Enjoy !

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I am interested that many of you say the food is good. I've been there at least 20 times and have always found the food medicore at best. Those of you who like the food, please share your favourite dishes to order so I can try them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am interested that many of you say the food is good. I've been there at least 20 times and have always found the food medicore at best. Those of you who like the food, please share your favourite dishes to order so I can try them.

Yup, I agree with adrianb, the food is mediocre at best. Nothing to write home about. The prices are high but the food quality is not on pars with the expectations. I have eaten better food at restaurants in USA with cheaper prices. With all this said and done, I think the restaurant is more famous for the view rather than for the quality of food.
AZB

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yup... the food is mediocre at best.

Thanks for the dose of reality... I was wondering if things had changed that much in the last few years. Ate there a few times & gave up.

However, I would often take visitors up there early evening for a drink & to enjoy the view, but always back into town for food.

Is the property still in the Bermudez family? One of the daughters used to work for me... I'd heard they kept the property after the father's death.

Feb 15, 2005
Thank you all for your replies. Would you say that staying there, having dinner and then going out into town for dancing is doable driving at night. Or would you suggest having dinner and then having a taxi take you to a place to dance for a few hours. If so, where would you recommend to go dancing from Camp David where it would be add to the romantic atmosphere?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What are the hotel room rates at Camp David?

What type of accommodations do they have? Singles, suites, etc.?

Anyone stay there? What were your impressions?

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com

The food was not Bad , Good , not Excellent ... and my recommendation is in post #7 :classic:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Camp David is romantic place with a great view but there are a lot better places to eat in Santiago. By all means go there, just do not expect to get what you pay for in the food department.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
rates

there are rates posted on the website...looks like most rooms are $52-63 US per night.

you have to actually try to make a reservation to see the room type/rates.

it says *includes meal plan

does anyone know what that means/includes?

looks like a lovely place!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I simply don't know whats the big deal about eating and going to camp david. I have been there a few times, but I wouldn't go there if I didn't have to. I guess its a good tourist attraction.
AZB