Pigeons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Would like to hear opinions on experiences with large flocks of pigeons in other cities. Santo Domingo may soon have a problem on its hands with the hundreds of thousands of pigeons that are catered to by the local bird-lovers that feed them in parks and historic sites.

Have located these two threads on the Internet that address to the problems these can bring to a city, and experiences of others in dealing with them.

Controlling Pigeons and Rock Doves (Columba livia)

Pigeons, pests and people: Feral pigeons are widespread in cities throughout the world. Most people regard the birds as pests that spread disease and soil buildings. But does this image reflect reality? - 01 December 1990 - New Scientist

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
wow....

thanks for the links.......I get pigeons all the time I'm so sick of it but it's hard to keep them away I've tried the owel statue lol it didn't work.
My parents had them laying eggs on a window ledge between the nails my Dad placed on a peice of wood and so he then realized that he had to place it at a45 degree angle, it's crazy!!! People keep feeding them as one person does every day on my parents street that's why now they are having so many problems eeekkkkkk It is getting worse!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I grew up in a large European city... There was many pigeons... We always had the impression that they were like "flying-rats"...

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
The solution is simple and very effective.

All that is needed is one newspaper article and a recipie for pigeon pie.

Place whole page add stating "Pigeons when eaten can increase a mans sexual performance and prevent wrinkles in female skins types".

Should make them as rare as the dodo in 6 months.

Skippy1

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The solution is simple and very effective.

All that is needed is one newspaper article and a recipie for pigeon pie.

Place whole page add stating "Pigeons when eaten can increase a mans sexual performance and prevent wrinkles in female skins types".

Should make them as rare as the dodo in 6 months.

Skippy1

Comical, but heck! It would work! LOL!!!:eek:gre:

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Ok you asked for a recipie

two plucked and prepared pigeon breasts poached in Brugal rum served on wild rice with cherry and Rasberry salsa. Followed by one large presidente and a Some Apple tart with custard.

Skippy1......
You can replace rice with Mufongo if you prefer

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And they really do have breasts????!!!??? LOL!!!
Maybe Fricase de Palomas con tomates victorina, served over white rice cooked with Presidente beer instead of water...

I got to go hunt a few Palomas now and try it...

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Ya know it's a funny thing....they're all over Conde....but ya never see them in front of the KFC or El Rey de Pollo....(Las palomas son fresco alla!)...and come to think of it...the "Wings" served at the Hard Rock looked a little small last time I was there!

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Look at the mess they make

101_0066.jpg

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Intellegent pigeons only C**p on motos and leave the expensive german cars alone.....see they are not complete bird brains.

Skippy1

victoria stiles

Aug 16, 2011
thanks for the links.......I get pigeons all the time I'm so sick of it but it's hard to keep them away I've tried the owel statue lol it didn't work.
My parents had them laying eggs on a window ledge between the nails my Dad placed on a peice of wood and so he then realized that he had to place it at a45 degree angle, it's crazy!!! People keep feeding them as one person does every day on my parents street that's why now they are having so many problems eeekkkkkk It is getting worse!
Yes that is true , when pigeons get feed, they become habitual to that place, and it is difficult to get rid of them. If you do not want them near by you just make sure that they never get fed. You can also use bird repeller in your house.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Pigeons are disgusting things that will take over any open building.

How agressive do you want to be to get rid of them? You could put poison seed out but other creatures may feed from it and be destroyed too. If trapping or shooting the adults is not an option and you can get to the nests, destroy the eggs.

If destroying the eggs is not an option then coat them with mineral oil shortly after they have been laid to prevent the embryos from developing. If that is not an option......you're screwed.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Intellegent pigeons only C**p on motos and leave the expensive german cars alone.....see they are not complete bird brains.

Skippy1
The owner of the German car is not longer parking under the shady tree since this happens to him before!!!

JJ

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I love a good pigeon dish, got some nice recipes from my mother. Only problem is that where I live there are only 4 pigeons flying around...think somebody would notice if they disappear? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.