Restaurant in El Batey

Status
Not open for further replies.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Loved it - La Costera. Seems like a deutsch cucinero is doing the cooking and his morena partner is waiting. Brekkie is SUPER, you get the tocino the way you're asking ( suave ) , the schnitzel is also SUPER ( dinner ).
I am posting this for folks seeking good food at decent prices based on my previous experiences: El Toro - 1 time good, 2 time average, 3 time no comment ( no more ), Campesina's restaurant at Las Canas - best fish fillet and she's the best host. Rocky's - yummy but fingers tend to get get licky. Waterfront - bad food. La Finca - way overpriced for what they offer . Tipico Alberto - they try but nothing to write home about. Morua Mai- had brekkie there most of the times until I discovered Costera. Bailys - don't bother. All else I have not tried or is not worth mentioning.
Oh, Cabarete - Em Bocca is the best in Sosua-Cabarette, yet is nowhere close to Aura in Juan Dolio. Aura beats even Majami. And get this - Aura doesn't promote itself - got there at a luch invited by a dominican friend while in the capital - 90 % of clients are Leonel's kind from SD...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The chef at La Costera used to be the personal cook for the President of Germany, I am told by the Germans in town.

The food is excellent and the price is right.

Aug 21, 2007
Where in El Batey is La Costera? Can't believe I haven't been there- I thought I had tried every restaurant in the area!

Lindsey

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is on Pedro Clisante a little before the Club Residencial heading towards the Susua Car Wash.

Another place to go if you do not mind spending some money is right near this place. Restaurant El Batey. They have the best Lobster around. Try the Lobster Crema. But here you will spend.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I ate @La Costera on two occasions, and the food was really good, and quite reasonably priced! The menu is fairly extensive for a small place, and everything is cooked to order.

tambo'

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
If I exit Rocky's Bar and head towards Pedro Clisante, do I turn left or right to get to La Costera?

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Restaurant La Costera in Sosua

Followed your directions. Have eaten at La Costera twice. Totally agree with everything that has been said: great food with a fine presentation, fair prices, good service, a kindly chef, and a suprisingly large menu. Many thanks to all for a wonderful local restaurant recommendation in Sosua.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Followed your directions. Have eaten at La Costera twice. Totally agree with everything that has been said: great food with a fine presentation, fair prices, good service, a kindly chef, and a suprisingly large menu. Many thanks to all for a wonderful local restaurant recommendation in Sosua.

Since you like that one I will give you one more. Orchidee, going out of Rockys, turn right and go past the small supermarket. There is an entrance just past the market. Go to the back and up the stairs. The German owner is also the cook. Try one of the specials on the blackboard. Opens at 5pm, closed Tuesdays.

Bear

Aug 15, 2006
Restaurants

Sky,
I agree with your recommendation.
La Costera and Orchidee are both fine and price worthy.
Orchidee is a little harder to find as one has to go through a courtyard and
up a couple flights of stairs.
Also, Orchidee will be closed most of June as per the owner.
Bear

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Restaurant Orchidee in Sosua

Been there - done that. Orchidee is great. Have eaten there many times and never had a bad meal. The German chef tries very hard to accommodate. Hard to find, but very worth the visit. Good food and reasonable prices. Pay heed: Orchidee is closed during the month of June.

Status
Not open for further replies.