Caribbean Village Playa Grande

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian.Line

May 7, 2008
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Just over 10 years ago i got married at the Caribbean Village Playa Grande in Rio San Juan. I've been looking round the net to try to book their again as a second honeymoon but cant find it listed anywhere. I've managed to find out that it was sold in 2004 but cant find out what it is called now. :confused:

Can anyone help me and let me know what it is now?

Many thanks:)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The hotel has closed down a few years ago. The owners of the golf course brought it. They are going to build a new hotel, but in maybe 2 years.

Sorry.

????-????

I stayed there for a week in Dec/07 and it was closed for renovations part of last year but re-opened. Last week there were guests there when I stayed at Gran Ventana.

Gregg

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
????-????

I stayed there for a week in Dec/07 and it was closed for renovations part of last year but re-opened. Last week there were guests there when I stayed at Gran Ventana.

Gregg

Were you near Caribbean Village Playa Dorado of Playa Grande as mentioned by the OP?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Oops - my bad. Think I'll clean my glasses and apologize where appropriate - LOL.

Got misled by the Caribbean Village and mistook the location as Caribbean Village - Club on the Green in Playa Dorada.

Sorry.

Didn't it (the one mentioned by the OP) get sold with the golf course...

Gregg

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
They are getting rid of it, and will build two hotels that will be branded by Aman Resorts instead.

Read all about it HERE

For New Year's, Swells Knock 'Em Back, and Knock 'Em Down, in Paradise

curry122906.jpg

It's the New Year's party you're not likely to be invited to. Unless, that is, your name is Moby, Mariska Hargitay, or you were college roommates with Boykin Curry, the financier-playboy who's building an elite private community in the Dominican Republic, called Playa Grande.

Curry & Co. are throwing a major New Year's bash in the DR to celebrate their demolition of a recently acquired hotel—the Occidental—set to be torn down come January. The lavish 10 day affair is being planned by event impresario Bronson Van Wyck, who's stretching his party acumen to contend with the challenges of the raw parcel of land. Not content to rough it, the co-owners of the retreat and guests are being catered for in the Manhattan-style to which they are accustomed, flying in chef Gabrielle Hamilton of downtown restaurant Prune (1)for the occasion. Crates of champagne are being specially imported, and guests can expect an extravagant fireworks show set on dramatic cliffs over the ocean as the clock strikes midnight. And as the socialites ring in the new year, their wrecking ball will pave the way for tropical domination.

Playa Grande, a $50 million Mosquito Coast fantasy, was conceived by Curry as an elite experiment. In March, the New Yorker's Ben McGrath wrote a piece on the Caribbean paradise and the artistic, utopian ambitions of the property's creators. Curry, along with 20-odd investors, purchased the 2,200-acre tract of land on the wild north shore of the DR and is hell-bent on making it into a bacchanalian Bohemian Grove for entitled 30-something Manhattanites. He also cites the Hamptons in the '70s as a major source of inspiration. A tipster tells Radar that Curry & Co.'s plans for a colonial-style takeover are proceeding apace. In August, the cadre of Park Avenue darlings added a fading hotel to their lair, with plans to knock it down to make way for development come January.

Co-owners of the raw land read like a roll call at Michael's (1), with machers like Charlie Rose and Newsweek's Fareed Zakaria. And then there's playboy Alex von Furstenberg, designer to the Bush gals Lela Rose, Bronson van Wyck, Curry's wife Celerie Kemble, Moby, and architect Richard Meier, who signed on to transform parts of the land into a soothingly luxe Perry Street-in-the-jungle. As McGrath noted in the New Yorker, Curry envisions the retreat as a "creative person's utopia," vowing, "we are going to keep it bohemian, and not filled with dentists who got lucky in the stock market."

Those lucky dentists and the rest of the un-anointed can sob quietly into their flat champagne this weekend as Curry and his friends enjoy their 10 sun-drenched days of hedonism in their own VIP commune.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-qu...restiged-members-only-golf-club-course-2.html

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Oops - my bad. Think I'll clean my glasses and apologize where appropriate - LOL.

Got misled by the Caribbean Village and mistook the location as Caribbean Village - Club on the Green in Playa Dorada.

Sorry.

Didn't it (the one mentioned by the OP) get sold with the golf course...

Gregg

No worries...it happens!;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Mosquito Coast"???????????????????????
Gee, that's a nice, enticing name to put on a project.
Actually reflecting the total ignorance of these people. the "real" Moskito Coast is in Honduras and named for a tribe not for the insects...

HHB

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
um Hillbilly, I think that's the author of the article been sarcastic. It's a reference to a movie with that title.

Status
Not open for further replies.