What should I know about guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Safety issues have made me and my husband to decide that I get a license to carry a gun. However, I have no experience at all in the use of firearms. I already submit the application with the Sheriff?s office and I have the gun which I am going to register. My concern is that I have never even touch a gun before. How do I go by knowing what to do?

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Well if you live in the DR...go to a gun store and LOOK. Spend hours looking and discussing the weapons to learn terminology before you buy anything.

DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum is a resource you can use as well.. although based in the USA.

Once you know which type of waepon you think you want. Try to rent one and go shooting with an Instructor or knowledgeable representative from the store.

While guns are considered the original "point and click" device, it is not suggested you practice or otherwise try to learn on your own. Above all, have fun! Target shooting is a great sport!

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Well if you live in the DR...go to a gun store and LOOK. Spend hours looking and discussing the weapons to learn terminology before you buy anything.

DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum is a resource you can use as well.. although based in the USA.

Once you know which type of waepon you think you want. Try to rent one and go shooting with an Instructor or knowledgeable representative from the store.

While guns are considered the original "point and click" device, it is not suggested you practice or otherwise try to learn on your own. Above all, have fun! Target shooting is a great sport!

Thank you very much for your response.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
We live in North Carolina

GO to a gun shop....they will help you. Also visit the website I mentioned in my previous post....it is a wealth of info and the people who post will help as well.

Congrats on applying for your permit! Our 2nd Amendment is great.

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Thanks again. I checked and it looks interesting. I?ll be there for a little bit today:eek: :glasses::surprised

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
First and formost guns are dangerous no matter which end you stand at.
If you do not have one you can't use it, if you can't use it you won't hurt anyone.
Yes you might feel safer having one but the same goes for a hard hat.
I would never advocate owning or using one they are too much of a responsibility for most people.
IMHO

Skippy1

J

John Evans

I would try to find a shooting range in the area first and take a few lessons before buying one- have you been watching the latest jodie foster film

guandulera

Apr 22, 2008
Yers Sir

First and formost guns are dangerous no matter which end you stand at.
If you do not have one you can't use it, if you can't use it you won't hurt anyone.
Yes you might feel safer having one but the same goes for a hard hat.
I would never advocate owning or using one they are too much of a responsibility for most people.
IMHO

Skippy1

We alwasy have to make decisions.

Sep 19, 2005
Ill reply quickly before the thread dissapears.

Buy s smith and wesson LADYSMITH 38 special revolver.

5 shots 2" barrel...fits in a purse, nothing complicated to think about.

go to the range once a week for the first 6 months .

the first 3 months just shoot it....

the second put it in your purse , and prectice pulling it out and shooting a target.......

practice doing that to the point you can do it safely.

and then never threaten anyone or tel them you have it.

you pull it out when you think you might die if you dont!!!

period

you have lived your life without it to this point, the chances are you could keep living it without it......
but reguardless....owning a gun permit to carry has no drawbacks, because you can leave it home or not even own a gun...

but someday they may stop giving out permits

good luck

bob

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
My only suggestion to you about owning a gun is only get one IF you KNOW you can use it against someone. If you can't...... don't. If you hesitate it can be taken away from you and you can/will be killed. This defeats the purpose of you having one.

If you don't have a problem with using it....... then buy one that you are comfortable with.

I suggest a semi automatic. It hold more bullets.

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
tough question....

Hmm. I come from a family of hunters and sportsmen, but my first reaction is to say that if you live in an area where you feel you need a weapon for self-defense, you should probably move if you can afford to do so.

Yes, the second amendment is good in principle. I have weapons in my home and know how to use them. I also observe that neighboring countries which have no Second Amendment have fewer violent crimes and fewer incarcerations.....

Getting back to this being a DR1 forum- if I found myself thinking I needed to carry a weapon in my DR neighborhood, that alone would have dissuaded me from buying in to a very good thing. Guess I'm not a "shoot first, ask questions later" type of guy.

Best of luck, no matter how you decide to proceed!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am surprised you seasoned VETS:rambo: forgot to mention the "NRA Basic Firearm Courses".

To the OP, the very FIRST thing you should do is go to the link I provided and take the Basic Pistol Course, these courses are reasonably priced ($80+). It;'s an all day course which will include classroom safety instructions on revolvers and semi-autos, how to properly aim and shoot, breathing & trigger control. After that you will take a multiple test exam on firearm safety and other related things. You will then proceed to the firing range for more instructions, take a little target shooting exam, PASS it, and you are all done. Piece of cake, and they will give you a certificate right there on the spot. You should sign up right now, its worth every penny.
http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp?State=NC&Type=BPistol

Good Luck
Ricardo

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
I live in Nc. and have a CCW Permit. You will have to take a course inwhich they inform you of the CCW laws , and also fire a pistol , yours or rented one provided ( for a fee, expect to also pay for the ammo, minimum 50rds. )before you are issued a certificate. You must go to the sheriff office to obtain an application for CCW, three reference letters to be filled and notarized, and completion of a Certified course.

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
lets hope its the right one

We alwasy have to make decisions.

I have read and heard too many sad storys to even think owning a gun is a good idea.
From people who are just careless and get robbed loosing their guns to the thieves..(makes life easy for them)
To accidents where innocent people get shot and some killed.
To crazed relatives taking revenge over petty family disputes.
Sad and depressed people taking the easy way out because it was there and readily available.
Kids taking dads gun to school and shooting the teachers and other kids they don't like.

World would be a lot safer without them. Uk you can't own a hand gun at all unless its for service use ie police or military.
Our police also dont carry guns in the normal line of duty.
If 20 million of the US population own a gun with 10% getting into the wrong hands thats 2 million weapons in the hands of people who will eventually use them to kill...way too scarey for me.
Skippy1

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Skippy, please stop hijacking this thread with your anti-gun propaganda, the OP asked about how to handle a gun she already has in her possession, not whether she should get one or not. She lives in the US of A, not england, so if she wants a gun and learn how to safely operate one, then so be it. The UK have their laws and we in the US have ours, period.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Two things to think about:

(1) Don?t know the model, but there are some that are externally "HammerLess, these can be fired from inside your pocket or purse because they have no hammer to snag on clothing. Saves time in a dire emergency.

(2) Automatics do have more bullets, but if they mis-fire, you have a major problem. Revolvers, you just keep pulling the trigger.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Skippy, please stop hijacking this thread with your anti-gun propaganda, the OP asked about how to handle a gun she already has in her possession, not whether she should get one or not. She lives in the US of A, not england, so if she wants a gun and learn how to safely operate one, then so be it. The UK have their laws and we in the US have ours, period.
You forgot to say 'welcome to US1.com'. ;)

Skippy1

Feb 21, 2008
Sorry

I am sorry you think I have hijacked this thread but if its not too late I would urge a rethink on owning a gun. Free speach is part of the American constitution still I believe.?

Skippy1

Status
Not open for further replies.