Carta de garantia (Letter of Guarantee)

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
Regarding provisional residency, I was wondering what others are, or have been doing in obtaining a carta de garantia? What options have you found that the immigration department will, or have accepted?

In about 10 days I will be relocating to the DR. I have no work permit, nor any jobs lined up once I get there. I have no Dominican wife or girlfriend. I'm just coming alone. I work online, so as long as I have Internet access, I have a means to support myself. I would like to start proceedings on provisional residency as soon as possible.

Maybe I should restate the question. What options have you found that the immigration department will accept, in leu of hiring a attorney? I am either foolish or brave. I would like to complete this on my own. If nothing else, for a learning experience.

Feb 7, 2007
I do not have personal experience with it, but it has been stated on this board that a competent lawyer processing your residency will be able to draft/obtain a guarantee letter for you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I do not have personal experience with it, but it has been stated on this board that a competent lawyer processing your residency will be able to draft/obtain a guarantee letter for you.

If I may, I believe the question is not if a lawyer can draft the document but who will be the guarantor of the applicant for the residency. Because I am married I can use my wife, but what does a single person do?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Regarding provisional residency, I was wondering what others are, or have been doing in obtaining a carta de garantia? What options have you found that the immigration department will, or have accepted?

In about 10 days I will be relocating to the DR. I have no work permit, nor any jobs lined up once I get there. I have no Dominican wife or girlfriend. I'm just coming alone. I work online, so as long as I have Internet access, I have a means to support myself. I would like to start proceedings on provisional residency as soon as possible.

Maybe I should restate the question. What options have you found that the immigration department will accept, in leu of hiring a attorney? I am either foolish or brave. I would like to complete this on my own. If nothing else, for a learning experience.
What's the rush to get your residency? Just move down and in time you will find someone to give you a "Carta" As a rule, your attorney will sign for you but any Dominican can sign.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Although I do not recommend this because I have not done it firsthand...but was considering it at a point.One of the women who processes applications at the Dept of immigration says that they have people who do it for a fee, I was quoted $400 each for myself and 3 children.
You can just tell the Immigration person that you do not have a guarantor and what should you do (smiling the whole time) and take it from there if you dare.

I'm going with the lawyer

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
Eddy, you're right. No rush. However, I would like to be prudent and get my ducks in a row as much as I can before I'm there. But you did kind of answer my question. Any Dominican can sign. I was unaware of that.

redonion

Apr 25, 2008
travel.kenharrington.com
SKing, never thought of that one. And your answer is right along the lines of Eddy. Sounds like I need a Dominican to sign for me. Make friends, pay someone off, get a job. Sounds like however you do it, a Dominican needs to sign for you.

Thanks SKing and Eddy. Anyone else have any experience with this?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you have a maid let her do it. Any Dominican can sign, as long as they have a Cedula.