Tostones.......

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi,

My friend made tostones and she used a special small dish to mash the plantains up, she got it in the DR.
Does anyone know what it's called if I was to look for it?

My friend can't remember what it's called lol
I loooove tostones :D

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi,

My friend made tostones and she used a special small dish to mash the plantains up, she got it in the DR.

My mom still uses a brown paper bag, lol!!!! (old school)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have an idea that the wooden or metal tostoneras are available from the DR1 shop. But yes, a bottle or a meat tenderiser usually does the trick.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Coke bottles (glass ones!!) also work. So would a 4 x 4 set of hinged pieces of any hard wood...
Anything to squoosh the platain.

HB, toston expert

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
chirmoya- Is that what it is, a wooden or metal tostoneras, thanks I'll check out the DR1 shop :)

Hillbilly- yes that's the way my mother would do it lol

She used to wrap almonds in a tea towel and smash them with a hammer lol (to make this delicious almond cake it's one of my favourites :)

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Hi,

Mash the platano up? In a dish. Are you sure it was totones? Perhaps it was mofongo (mashed fried platano). If so the special dish she used would have been a pilon or majao ; ) Both dishes are rrrricooo! I do not use a tostonera just the bottom of a glass. I have a tostonera but only "para hacer totones rellenos" YUM!

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
25zggte.jpg

Tostonera

--

156wwid.jpg

Tostones

3 to 4 large unripe (green) or barely ripe (slightly yellow) plantains
About 2 cups olive or canola oil, for frying

With a sharp small knife cut ends from each plantain and cut a lengthwise slit through skin. Cut plantains crosswise into 1-inch-thick pieces and, beginning at slit, pry skin from pieces. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 1/2-inch oil over moderate heat until just hot enough to sizzle when a plantain piece is added. Fry plantains in batches, without crowding, until tender and just golden, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. With tongs transfer plantains as fried to paper towels to drain.

Remove skillet from heat and reserve oil. With the bottom of a heavy saucepan or a wide solid metal spatula flatten plantains to 1/4-inch thick (about 3 inches in diameter). Into a bowl of warm salted water dip flattened plantains, 1 at a time, and drain them well on paper towels.

Heat reserved oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and fry flattened plantains in batches, without crowding, until golden, about 3 minutes. With tongs transfer tostones as fried to paper towels to drain and season with salt if desired.

Serve tostones immediately.

link

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Don't forget the kechu!

Seriously though, don't use olive oil to fry the platano. They need to DEEP fry and not touch the bottom of the pan. I find corn oil is the best.

Buen provecho!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Oh yes u need kechup is so yummy
great tip thanks :) I want to attemp to make them myself lol
I want to try a few dishes as well it's about time i try lol

Don't forget the kechu!

Seriously though, don't use olive oil to fry the platano. They need to DEEP fry and not touch the bottom of the pan. I find corn oil is the best.

Buen provecho!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You can find these things in most bodegas in the States.

Also, if you call them tostones here they will think you are Puerto Rican - we say "fritos verdes" or just fritos.

Also, one good thing about the States is that in some Colombian restaurants they make a sauce "mojo" that is absolutely out of this world. The main ingerdiants are beer, mayonaise, garlic and jalape?o (for the hot one). Wow, my mouth is watering waiting to get back to Orlando!