export laws

icefisher01

May 9, 2008
question: we were flying out of the Punta Cana airport yesterday going to Miami. The DR airport security searched our luggage and I had a empty clear bottle of the mamajawanna sticks/leaves which as most of you know is probally the most common suvouniior (sp) in DR. well, security took the bottle and said I couldn't take it and they threw it in a trash barrel.

While waiting for our flight I looked in the airport gift shop, and guess what? The airport sells the EXACT same bottle!!!!! I asked the workers why can they sell the same exact thing that they won't let me take??? THey shook their heads and didnt know...
again, it was the SAME EXACT ITEM!!!!!!!

I feel like this is a big scam by the DR goverment! Can someone explain how they can get away with this?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It is considered agriculture, and "might" be confiscated by US customs. It is not illegal to leave the DR with it, it is illegal to import. If it has the liquid in it, it is not considered agriculture. Simply put it in your checked luggage next time between some smelly socks, and Dominican customs will probably not wanna touch it!

tambo'

scc37c.jpg

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
It is considered agriculture, and "might" be confiscated by US customs. It is not illegal to leave the DR with it, it is illegal to import. If it has the liquid in it, it is not considered agriculture. Simply put it in your checked luggage next time between some smelly socks, and Dominican customs will probably not wanna touch it!

tambo'

scc37c.jpg

Yeah, but why can you buy it in the stores (dry) once you pass security?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Tambo's right. That's the essential difference between what you had on-hand and what they were seeling in the airport store -- one was liquid filled, the other not. Probably if they see empty bottle full of dry plant matter, they're told to assume the worst -- that's something illegal or agriculturally undesirable that ust stay dry is hidden amongst the twigs and leaves...

On the other hand, it could simply be security people being random as they sometimes are...

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I think the alcohol kills the germs in the twigs & leaves, etc. No idea why you can buy a dry bottle inside, perhaps its undergone some kind of purification?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They sell both dry and wet Mamajuana in the Du-Free shops.
You "may" have a hard time in US Customs with the dry one if they find it.
Buy a dry one, and fill it with Rum in the airport!
As Keith mentioned, Dominican Customs is not consistant.

tambo'

Sep 19, 2005
the whole point is the restrioctions on liguids and or bottles.

I think the limit of anything YOU bring into the airport is 3 oz

you are allowed to BUY after airport security almost any size that is sold in the duty free shop...

I have seen TSA take a 4 oz bottle of liguid out of someones carry on...then on the same flight i saw SEVERAL dominicans buy the 3 FOOT TALL bottles of Chivas Regal!!!!! and bring them on the plane!

how and why?

because it came from DUTY free, and they are blessed

If someone tries to take your cologne or perfume at the AIRPORT...turn the bottle over and I bet it reads less than 3 oz of liguid.. and tell them to pound sand

they tries that with me at STI......I told them forget it..it is 2.7 oz.

I had a guy want to hand search me at STI after I went through the metal detectors clean .

I am almost sure he said "cincuenta".....I put up a fuss...one reason was because the plane was supposed to leave in 30 minutes and i had JUST got through the xray machine and there was still 50 people behind me. They had four lines feeding TWO immigracion agents!!!

usually STI has been good.

bob

Sep 19, 2005
Tambo's right. That's the essential difference between what you had on-hand and what they were seeling in the airport store -- one was liquid filled, the other not. Probably if they see empty bottle full of dry plant matter, they're told to assume the worst -- that's something illegal or agriculturally undesirable that ust stay dry is hidden amongst the twigs and leaves...

On the other hand, it could simply be security people being random as they sometimes are...

Kieth, I think the OP said they DID have a clear EMPTY bottle with leaves and sticks in it.....ie..NO LIQUID

it might be the container size
if you have an almost empty bottle of shampoo in your carryon...even if it only has a half ounce in it..they confiscate it, because the container was originally made to hold more than 4 ounces

bob

icefisher01

May 9, 2008
Now, for the US customs. Its not for the DR to take my stuff because "maybe" the US won't allow it! Thats not the concern of the DR.
The shop is selling the same DRY bottle.
So, again, why do they take it away from me and then turn around and sell it in the same building???? Either the customs agent is incorrect OR the airport shop is breaking DR export laws..

Now I'l have to research and see exactly what type of wood and leaves is used and make my own :)
Thanks for the input guys!!!

P.S. good thing I had 9 shots of mama the night before I left DR :)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Kieth, I think the OP said they DID have a clear EMPTY bottle with leaves and sticks in it.....ie..NO LIQUID

Bob, that was my point. I thought OP was saying that they seized his empty bottle, but then he saw the same type of bottle at the duty free. I usually don't wander into duty-frees in the DR, but last time I did, they only sold bottles of that stuff full of liquid, not dry. So I assumed that's what he meant. But apparently he saw dry bottles in the shop too...

So I'm returning to my original second guess (in post above) -- DR security just being random cuz they can and sometimes do....

Sep 19, 2005
Now, for the US customs. Its not for the DR to take my stuff because "maybe" the US won't allow it! Thats not the concern of the DR.
The shop is selling the same DRY bottle.
So, again, why do they take it away from me and then turn around and sell it in the same building???? Either the customs agent is incorrect OR the airport shop is breaking DR export laws..

Now I'l have to research and see exactly what type of wood and leaves is used and make my own :)
Thanks for the input guys!!!

P.S. good thing I had 9 shots of mama the night before I left DR :)

well I think the airlines that fly to the US have to follow the US's rules... thus dominican airports enforce the "approved" liquids rules that american airports enforce...as far as carry on bags go.

thank god they do, because there are more trouble makers outside the US than inside!

we dont want a plane blowing up no matter where it comes from.

this all started with terrorists planning to do harm from and British airport!!

with carry on liquid containers.

I personally doubt it was a case of a dominica airport employee trying to scam you....they can get all the mamajwuana they want ....easily!!!!

if it was perfume or cologne or an expensive bottle of liquor, I would think different.

they can get away with being TECHNICALLY correct....

approved containers only in carry ons....but buy all you want in duty free after you pass security...

seems just like it is when you are at an american airport.

check this out......

they actually let more go than the rules allow for

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/travelInformation/baggage/newCarryOnRegulation.jsp

bob

icefisher01

May 9, 2008
the bottle they took from me was dry..NO liquid at all in it. The gift shop had the same Exact bottle..no liquid either, heck it was the same brand too! NO difference!!!!! I could understand if there was liquid in it, but nope not in this case! So again, how can they take mine and sell the same exact thing back to me to take on my flight?

Sep 19, 2005
icefisher...you are just having trouble grasping the "rules'

you buy a 6 ounce bottle of hand cream at the 7-11 before you get to the airport and put it in your carry on..

they will confiscate it, but then you can buy the same hand cream at the duty free shop inside the airport ..AFTER you went through screening...

that is the way it is....they know all items inside the airport duty free shop have been checked out and APPROVED...they dont know anything about the stuff you BRING to the airport...and so they have a blanket "rule"

maybe you get away maybe you dont....but they can always fall back on the "rules"

good luck

bob