GuaGua from SD to Las Terranas

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Would someone please tell me where to get the guagua in Santo Domingo that goes to Las Terranas and how much the trip costs? Thanks!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I thought the Caribe Tours bus goes to Samana. If this is the case, you can get off in Sanchez and get a taxi to Las Terrenas via the mountain road.

As for cost, cant advise you because we didnt go with CT but it is very inexpensive on their other routes i have taken.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks drloca, but I was really interested in finding out where to catch the guagua in SD that goes to Las Terranas, what the fare is, and also, if anyone knows, what the schedule is. On the thread about the highway from SD to Samana, there is a note that the guagua uses that route and that the travel time has been cut almost in half. That sounds like a good alternative to the CT, even though it's probably not as comfortable a ride.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
the guaguas that go to Las Terrenas and el limon leave at the bus station on erenquillo,corner of caracas...up near plaza lama on duarte...there are 4 or 5 busses that go to las terrenas,and 2 of them then continue to el limon...the price is 220 pesos,and with the new route,takes about 3 1/2 hours...no need to take caribe tours and then take a truck over the mountain to las terrenas...myself and or my family take it 2 or 3 times a month...air conditioned,smaller busses,but comfortable....and very enjoyable.lots of bachata music..
bob

ps phone number of la parada is 809 687 1470
first bus is at 8 am,then 11am 140 pm 3pm and another I believe later...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That should be Enriquillo and Caracas (En-ree-key-yo)....

this is interesting information. Thanks!!

RD$220 to Las Terrenas!!

Now that's a bargain, so i am sure it will go up...

Important question, how about luggage??

The alternative is to go to Caribe Tours, and every taxi driver knows where that is..Leopoldo Navarro and 27 de Febrero. In Sanchez you then transfer to a taxi.
I have a sneaky feeling that the RD$220 ride might not handle luggage for tourists quite the way they do at Caribe Tours....

HB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
That should be Enriquillo and Caracas (En-ree-key-yo)....

this is interesting information. Thanks!!

RD$220 to Las Terrenas!!

Now that's a bargain, so i am sure it will go up...

Important question, how about luggage??

The alternative is to go to Caribe Tours, and every taxi driver knows where that is..Leopoldo Navarro and 27 de Febrero. In Sanchez you then transfer to a taxi.
I have a sneaky feeling that the RD$220 ride might not handle luggage for tourists quite the way they do at Caribe Tours....

HB

no problem with luggage,it will be in the guagua with you...they usually use the first couple of rows,or last rows for luggage...one guagua has a trailer behind ir,onr that may go to el limon..all taxis know where the Samana bus station is...they have been hauling people much longer than caribe tours...and they are only one to las terrenas and el limon.you may have to pay a little more if you have a lot of excess luggage,but a suitcase or two and a funda or two is no problem...these local guaguas are the lifeline of the country,and carry everything for people thruout there routs..it is amazing how things are transported...

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo

Here is a map of Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo, this is the place where gua-gua are leaving for Las Terrenas, Samana and other places in D.R.

Clicking on this map will get you to a full map of Zona Colonial Santo Domingo.

Next is a aerial view from Google Earth of the same area, you could notice the buses park all around Parque Enriquillo
parque-enriquilloaerial.jpg

The last gua-gua for Las Terrenas, leave at 5:00PM and arrive well after dark in LT.

WebDev

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks everyone!!! It's great to have an alternative. The really nice thing is that the guagua goes directly to LT without the need for the additional expense of a taxi from Sanchez to LT. The idea of paying $25 for a taxi to go from Sanchez to LT when the the guagua is 220 DOP from SD to LT is ridiculous.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks everyone!!! It's great to have an alternative. The really nice thing is that the guagua goes directly to LT without the need for the additional expense of a taxi from Sanchez to LT. The idea of paying $25 for a taxi to go from Sanchez to LT when the the guagua is 220 DOP from SD to LT is ridiculous.

I cant disagree with you...and options are good!

We went from POP so had to take a taxi but negotiated a better rate. We had only paid RD$150 for the guagua from POP.

Have a great time in that beautiful piece of paradise.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This thread has provided much needed and interesting information....way to go guys!!!

HB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Here is a map of Parque Enriquillo in Santo Domingo, this is the place where gua-gua are leaving for Las Terrenas, Samana and other places in D.R.

Clicking on this map will get you to a full map of Zona Colonial Santo Domingo.

Next is a aerial view from Google Earth of the same area, you could notice the buses park all around Parque Enriquillo
parque-enriquilloaerial.jpg

The last gua-gua for Las Terrenas, leave at 5:00PM and arrive well after dark in LT.

WebDev

the LT guaguas are up caracas,you will see a street named enrenqillo,2 blocks west of the parque,go left on enrenquillo and there is la parada for samana...

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Same station as Boca Chica?

I know the Gua Gua for Boca Chica leaves from someplace to the west of that parque, is that the same place? It was a covered terminal and there seemed to be more activity than just the BC route. A direct less than 4 hour gua gua to Las Terrenas is great news. Thanks.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
GuaGua from SD to LT

The bus station for LT is EAST of the park,the opposite side from Boca Chica La Parada...If you are going south on Duarte,which it is a one way south,from 27 feb,go right on caracas,which is first street AFTER Plaza LLama and go 2 blocks,turn left on Enriquillo,there is La Parada on your right...

phone number 809-687-1470