Info on La Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I've been informed by a Dominican friend of an apparent really good (and really cheap) rental available in La Union. The person who recommended it is an older gentleman I have known for years, and he has lived quite extensively abroad, he lived in the apartment I used to rent in POP, so he wouldn't recommend something below my living standard.

But I would like to hear from ppl here what you know and/or think of La Union as a place to live?

I remember seeing the sign for La Union a few times, but know nothing about it.

The most is know is that I think it's a small area either before or after Sosua? lol.

Can anyone give me some comments on the area??

Safety? Proximity to POP, Sosua, Cabarete? Doesn't matter to me if there are only Dominicans or Spanish speakers around me....since I am fluent, but more so enquiring as to the type of area it is. Is it far from the beach? Is it easy to access using public transportation?

Thanks in advance!! ;)

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Street name where apartment is, is something like Peatonal....

If that makes any difference?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
La Union is basically across the highway from POP airport, a few meters in the direction of Sosua. They have recently (thanks to the upcoming elections, I assume) repaved all, or most of the roads inside the community and rehabbed a children's park in front. This is sort of a public housing development, with some nicer areas towards the back of the project, and now, the new Public Housing Project, (Villa Liberacion?), where they moved the residents of El Tablon.

Most people living there go to Sosua for the beach, although I assume there are some smaller out-of the way beaches nearby (Cangrejo?). There's plenty of local transportation right in front of the community to take you to Puerto Plata, Sosua, and beyond in either direction, but none to speak of within the community (except moto conchos). I believe Dominicans make up about 90-95% of the residents. As for safety, I've never heard it being any better or worse than most Dominican neighborhoods, but most females I know that live there don't like walking around at night (again, probably the same in most neighborhoods...)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i know a few girls that live over in La Union that work at the airport. they hate it...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It can be quite noisy and certainly far from everything and anything.
If you have to go into Sosua everyday, consider the cost of the transport, when calculating the value of a low rental there.
Sometimes paying more rent and being closer, can be cheaper in the long run, not to mention the convenience and time factor.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
...what Rocky said! And so you know, there are plenty of apartments for rent in or near the center of Sosua...I'm sure you can find something of equal "quality" and with a similar level of relative safety, that when you factor in it's location, may be a better deal..if you spend most of your time in Sosua...the same can be said for Puerto Plata.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
DavidZ said:
There's plenty of local transportation right in front of the community to take you to Puerto Plata, Sosua, and beyond in either direction, but none to speak of within the community (except moto conchos). I believe Dominicans make up about 90-95% of the residents. As for safety, I've never heard it being any better or worse than most Dominican neighborhoods, but most females I know that live there don't like walking around at night (again, probably the same in most neighborhoods...)

Thanks for the info...it is very much appreciated.

I generally only use motoconchos for transport anyways, so that's not a problem.

How much is a motoconcho, carro publico or guagua going to cost from La Union - Sosua, La Union - Cabarete and La Union - POP...say parque central-ish? Approx how long would it take to make those trips?

i know a few girls that live over in La Union that work at the airport. they hate it...

Why do they hate it? Any particular reasons? Are they locals or foreigners?

Rocky - Do you mean noisier than the general Dominican neighbourhood? From what? Do you mean because it's so close to the airport?

The price difference between this rental and even one of the cheaper ones in Cabarete or Sosua is about 12,000RD pesos....I doubt I would run up that much in transportation costs..

And this of course, does not have a pool which I really wanted..but I don't think a pool is necessarily worth the different in 12,000 Pesos....

Rattus - How did you get them to stop stealing the electricity?..I've heard horror stories about that from some ppl!! Can you check it every evening to make sure no one is hooked up?? Besides that did you enjoy living in La Union?

I was told there is even a very decent supermarcado...would you agree?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can't say if it's that much nosier that other equivalent Dominican neighbourhoods, but as they are all piled in like a can of sardines, the chances are greater of you living near someone who insists on playing his music at high volumes everyday.
I couldn't take it.
I'd go live on a beach in a tent with nothing, before living in those conditions, but that's just me.
There are thousands of people living there who don't seem to mind.
And no, the POP airport noise would not be much of a problem, if you can even hear the airplanes over the loud music.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
i visit there a lot, my boyfriends parents live there. their street is NOT noisy at all...it is a very nice neighborhood. the young people tend to hang out on the street along the highway where the only bar and pool tables are. i would live there for sure. but only if you speak spanish!

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
I spent some time in La Union during April and I was pleasantly surprised. It is not as noisy as I expected and the people who lived near mi novia where very pleasant. There was general agreement that if you lived on, or near, the street that is the access road to the new development there is a lot more traffic (as you would expect).

As far as rents go I found that you would pay half of what a comparable apartment would cost in the centre of El Batey.

The cost of a carro publico is 20 pesos during the day and 25 at night, I believe gua-guas are 5 pesos less, but they are often full when thay get to La Union. Not sure what moto concho would cost but I would guess less than 100 pesos.

Rattus - How did you get them to stop stealing the electricity?..I've heard horror stories about that from some ppl!! Can you check it every evening to make sure no one is hooked up?? Besides that did you enjoy living in La Union?

I was told there is even a very decent supermarcado...would you agree?

The same people who works for the power company connects the illegal powerline after workinghours. And when you call the powercompany to get rid of the parasitwires- the same people comes over and removes the wires. Next morning its the same thing all over again.
I even tried to replace the mainline, and have it run from the pole in the street and over my roof (We lived in a top apartment), The only thing that little stunt resolved was all of the parasittic cables moved to the roof overnight aswell.
I ended up by having two choises: 1 Pay electricity for ALL my neighbours. and 2: Leave La Union.
Since im not running for president, we moved back to Sos?a.

If i didnt had this problem with "supporting" 50% of La Union with electricity, i would not leave- we had family close by, and friends. Everything you need for having a good life.

There is a couple of good colmados there, even a nice restaurant where we use to eat 3times aweek.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I spend a lot of time in La Union... day and night.
It is a Dominican neighborhood, and while even some locals may label it as a "barrio" in my opinion, because of a good portion of working class people, families of police and army personnel who live there, I think it's a couple of notches above what most consider a "barrio".
It is quite save as La Union has not gotten any fame for harboring "delinquentes" and the fact that many people look after what's going on around their block. There is a lot of social life, churches, colmados, restaurants and most recently the new children park besides the base ball court... so, I think that young kids have better opportunities than just hanging around or being up to no good. I spend a lot of time there, day and night time and never felt "the heat" luring around the corner. Yet, many Union residents fear that the population of "Villa La Liberacion" behind "La Union" could adversely affect the relative safety they experienced so far, as there is a strong socio-economic gap between the residents of the two neighborhoods.
While the architecture certainly is the least appealing version of the so called "Arquitectura Balaguerista", the apartments are of better quality and design than "Villa La Liberacion" and many apartments have been upgraded by their subsequent owners to quite nice interiors, some of which can leave the very surprised after what one would expect from the exterior.

Services are somewhat spotty. Water comes in once or twice a week, and then, maybe it does not for a week. Some home owners have fitted "Tinacos" (large plastic water tanks) on the roofs to store water and create some 24/7 pressure... others just have bins, buckets and baby tubs they leave under the always open shower to collect the water when ever it comes.
Electricity is just as bad and many do not have the resources to have a back up system (inverter running on batteries) installed. So, many "enjoy" candle light dinners all too often.
Electric meters have been installed by Edenorte (they have an office right in the middle of the place, btw) only long after the homes had been distributed. Many apartments share 1 (one) meter among 2 or 3 places as many of these places may have been owned in rows by families! Some have never gotten around to get a meter properly installed and will not understand why they should not get power when you do.

Most units have 3 Bedrooms and 1 shower-bath, a small kitchen with a smaller space behind it for washing and a living with balcony (which many have expanded) and a very small dining room. All in all, for what it is, it's not bad and offers some potential.
Home ownership is undocumented, or better said, based on private notarized contracts as the State has never issued titles to the properties. Rough homes which have not been upgraded and have no inverter or "Tinaco" can be picked up starting at 200'000.oo - 300'000.oo Pesos and may cost up to 1'000'000 Pesos or more when upgraded and fitted with all the technology needed to mimmick a modern life standard.
Rents will start at around 1800 Pesos per month for a basic unit (no Tinaco, no inverter, no tiled floor no fitted closets).

Carro and guagua conchos stop in front of La Union on the main Hwy going both ways (East towards Sosua and Cabarete and West towards the airport (POP), the air force base, Cangrejos, Montellano and Puerto Plata) constantly.

I would not recommend La Union for the un-seasoned expat from a developed country. The person should be experienced in on-site Dominican culture and and have LIVED at least some time in Latin America (Las Condes in Santiago de Chile would not qualify, thou). Spanish would be a must and it would help if one is a good handyman, because there will be a lot to maintain and keep up which your Landlord will not do.

... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just to add something, there are also many private houses in La Union. Some are pretty modern, and are available for rent. Of course you would pay more for these.

Status
Not open for further replies.