Cofresi vs. Sosua vs. Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelFiend

May 12, 2008
Hey all, been reading tons through the site but have a more specific question that I dont think has been addressed. I am coming to DR may 28th - june 6th with 4 male friends. We need help finding a place to stay. Our criteria is as follows:

A villa/house:
- preferably on beach/ at worst-walking distance
- 3-4 Bedroom
- guest friendly!
- cook/housemaid preferred
- smoking outside OK

I have been trying to read about the three towns (Cofresi, Sosua and Cabarete) Our main goal is a great beach, some beautiful girls to pick up and (have at the villa) and a decent scene at night (at least some things to do)

my last issue would be finding some non-tobacco smoke...is it really that bad of an idea to try and find a little bit and smoke at our private house?

We would like to stay around $1000-1500 per week rate, which seems very doable, but I would like to stay somewhere I know is guest friendly as it seems some villas have an issue with that.

We are open to other towns as well, thanks so much for the help!

-TF

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
my last issue would be finding some non-tobacco smoke...is it really that bad of an idea to try and find a little bit and smoke at our private house?
Drugs are all over the DR, so finding them is not that hard to do. However, the DR is the last place you'd want to get caught, even for something as seemingly harmless as smoking some non-tobacco.

Stick to the women and the booze and your headaches will be almost nil, at least in the legal sense.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Yes it really is a bad idea. Just for asking you could find yourself arrested because you won't know if you're talking to plain clothes DNCD cops. There are 5 of you - police would be salivating at the thought of all the extra income (which you would pay rather than extend your holiday indefinitely). That's for asking. For doing (i.e.possession of) expect anything from 5 to 7 years incarceration. For dealing/exporting 10 years and upwards. The jails here are...........basic (British understatement!).

TravelFiend, it really would be your 'last' issue................

Have a lovely, trouble-free holiday :) .

TravelFiend

May 12, 2008
Well just four of us, but I do get the point, maybe that will have to go on hold then.

Any suggestions on specific villas that have been used and are good locations and guest friendly would be great, alot of what I can find is not guest friendly.

Which town is really best during the dates I will be in DR (may 28th-june 6th) for 4 recent college grads?

Thanks again!

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
Weed in the Dominican Republic?

Is it legal over there? And can any one send me any links about the laws & customs of Punta Cana?

Don't even think of it. The DR has a zero tolerance policy on all drugs, even soft ones such as pot. If you are caught with even a small amount you go directly to jail and will sit in a hellhole of a Dominican prison for who knows how many months or years and spend thousands of dollars to get out. An edit. Iamachef must be smoking some himself. It isn'tt hat drugs aren't available but again don't get involved. People turn in users and sellers, tourists or residents. A friend Stuart an American guy who owned the restaurant Otro Mundo near Playa Dorada spent months in jail when he was falsly accused of being involved with pot. TheDR subscribes to the Napoleonic code not only in civil matters but also criminal, you are guilty until you prove your innocence. By the way, prostitution is neith legal nor illegal enforcement is really up to the local police chief and depends who is paying him off. You never want to be involved with the authorities in the DR, it is too costly to get out of jail, bribery is rampant in the country.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well just four of us, but I do get the point, maybe that will have to go on hold then.

Any suggestions on specific villas that have been used and are good locations and guest friendly would be great, alot of what I can find is not guest friendly.

Which town is really best during the dates I will be in DR (may 28th-june 6th) for 4 recent college grads?

Thanks again!
You should change your plans.
I imagine that you want to do the villa thing for budget reasons, but you all will be a lot better off and happier if you simply book a hotel room each in a nice guest friendly hotel in Cabarete.
We have ample Cabarete DR1 members who will be able to suggest good hotels for you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
So sorry I got the number wrong.........

I am coming to DR may 28th - june 6th with 4 male friends.

I stupidly took 1+4 as being 5..................;)

I don't know that Cofresi would necessarily be lively enough for your age group, nor Costambar. There is probably more action in Sosua & Cabarete. There are certainly guest friendly hotels, but I can't see villa owners advertising the fact that they don't mind all & sundry coming back to the villa because of possible damage issues or theft issues or noise problems.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you buy drugs here, the guy who sells them to you, whoever he is will inform the drugs squad/police that you have bought them. He will give them your name and address and anything he knows about you. In exchange for this he will get a cut of the money that you will have to pay to avoid going to jail. The chances are you will go to Jail and not pass go, but if you are very lucky and have around 10,000 US$ in your pocket, plus a car, mobile, DVD, TV, stereo etc, you may very well manage to pay your way out of it. The first time. But they will come back again and again to try and get more money out of you.

How can anyone be so stupid as to do that!!! Have a beer instead, or Brugal.

Matilda

TravelFiend

May 12, 2008
The villa interests us because of the privacy, the availability of on-staff cook, the size of a villa (4 BR), private pool/jacuzzi (in some) and the possibility that we may loud at all different hours and don't want to disturb or upset anyone or the rules of a hotel. I dont think it is much cheaper, it may actually be more expensive than a hotel for us, but the added advantages are much desired if it were also guest friendly and located close to the beach and town.

Surely a hotel with large suites could be considered if that is available. We would all like to stay in one place, as opposed to separate rooms, also private outdoor space is very much necessary to us.

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Late booking.........

The villa interests us because of the privacy, the availability of on-staff cook, the size of a villa (4 BR), private pool/jacuzzi (in some) and the possibility that we may loud at all different hours and don't want to disturb or upset anyone or the rules of a hotel. I dont think it is much cheaper, it may actually be more expensive than a hotel for us, but the added advantages are much desired if it were also guest friendly and located close to the beach and town.

Surely a hotel with large suites could be considered if that is available. We would all like to stay in one place, as opposed to separate rooms, also private outdoor space is very much necessary to us.

Something I don't understand is that your requirements are quite precise and elaborate - cook, pool/jacuzzi, location and yet you leave it until 2 weeks before your trip to organise......?

TravelFiend

May 12, 2008
" I stupidly took 1+4 as being 5..................;)"

HA, no no, I stupidly wrote "traveling with four friends" when I meant, we are four males traveling together. Sorry bout that!

TravelFiend

May 12, 2008
Surprisingly there are a ton of villas available and also in the price range we can afford, the problem arises with the guest policy at most of them.

Yes, unfortunately my schedule affords me the luxury that free time arises out of the blue. Not only a student, but running multiple businesses, a free week or two is a godsend and rare. Being that I can squeeze in a week out of the US, Im going to take the opportunity to make it the best (for me)

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
Surprisingly there are a ton of villas available and also in the price range we can afford, the problem arises with the guest policy at most of them.

That was what I meant by your "elaborate" requirements....

IMO you are better booking into a hotel with policies in place that cater for your requirements rather than entering into an agreement that can then be reneged upon and finding yourselves in a dispute.
Many posters on here will be able to recommend "guest friendly" establishments.

;) Rio

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Therein lies the problem.
What you are looking for is extremely difficult to find, specially on such short notice.
You're in business, so it won't be difficult for you to understand that a person who invests a serious amount of money into buying a nice 4 bedroom villa near the ocean, will not be looking to rent it out to young fellas who want to have a bit of a wild party with the local putas.
As I said before, you all would be better off booking into a hotel in Cabarete.
It may not have every single perk that you were looking for, but life's like that sometimes.
You take what you can get.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What about Casa Linda?
As long as your neighbors do not see or hear your frat-party, you won't be evicted.
If you make audible noise after dark, be prepared for problems, normal people actually live there!

tambo'

TravelFiend

May 12, 2008
We will not be loud in the sense that most frat guys would be. But music in the evening is nice, whether it is audible or not if I am playing music by the pool is questionable and it may bother some and not others. Id really like to be within walking distance as I wont have a car and dont want to rely on taxis (unless they are cheap and easily accessible)

It is not the big party it may have sounded like, and NO damage would occur, we are not huge drinkers either. I would be willing to place a substantial security dep. or CC to ease the mind of a villa owner.

I dont think there will be debauchery going on as MAYBE only one other friend will partake, but the option would be nice if I pick up a girl or two or decide to keep her around for a few days.

Casa Linda Villas may work very well, appreciate the reco.

Aug 21, 2007
Maybe you should look into going somewhere else. I think the only thing you and your friends are going to find for yourselves in the DR is trouble. Good luck. Be careful. You just earned a college degree. Be smart.

Sorry to put a damper on your fun. I am a mom, too.

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.