Toronto to POP seat sale

Kevin&Julie

Apr 23, 2008
In case anyone is planning on visiting from Toronto, the West Jet seat sale is still on ... the prices have gone up a bit since we booked last week but they're still reasonable.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
it was $512 return incl taxes last week.

it is now $613 return incl taxes with the fuel surcharge

it is $189 each way plus tax

Last edited:

edm7583

May 29, 2007
$613 is cheap?!? I'm used to $250-$300 taxes included from the US to the DR. (even from the northern US it runs about $350) I guess since its from Canada to the DR you have 2 countries imposing extortionate taxes, fees, and surcharges, instead of just 1

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
not sure how they arrive at the price but typically we have to pay at least $300 in taxes plus whatever the flight cost is.

westjet and other charter airlines normally charges around $330 each way making an average flight only ticket around $1000 incl taxes

it is almost always cheaper to book an AI package from Canada than it is to book a flight only unless you are able to get some kind of deal or last minute special.

WestJet now offers us an alternative that is definitely cheaper & has much larger luggage allowances

If you can fly out of a US airport you can find great deals with JetBlue for example but if you are limited to a Canadian departure city....there are very few great deals for Flight Only.

The reverse is true for AI packages.
Canada has great last minute prices to the DR...as low as $700 including flight/transfer/AI hotel & taxes.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
edm ...2 questions....

what airline are you using that is under 350$ return incl taxes?

what is the most northern airport that you got this price for?

thanks
sangria

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
$613 is cheap?!? I'm used to $250-$300 taxes included from the US to the DR. (even from the northern US it runs about $350) I guess since its from Canada to the DR you have 2 countries imposing extortionate taxes, fees, and surcharges, instead of just 1

If I remember correctly there was a tax added to the ticket price by the US because Canadian flights fly over US airspace. So you could change that to three countries charging extortionate taxes.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

Well from Toronto, the taxes ALONE to the DR are $338 and now they have added the additonal $100 fuel surchage.:ermm:

You guys definately have it better;)

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
toronto to pop

when people say the taxes are 338$, that price is with the tour company sellers, i think it also includes a fee to themselves. If you book with a standard airline like american, delta etc. i think the taxes are aprox $155.

the best return prices will always be with the tour companies on their sell offs however only for one week trips. if you want to stay an extra week the price goes up. Why, i dont know as you are only using one seat down , one seat back...

the tours companies also are restricted to certain days. I myself like to stay between 2-4 weeks so have to pay more, but a bit more flexabity. In looking for a july booking the cheapest i can get is delta out of toronto for $746 including taxes, but out of detroit it is $572.

the cheapest i had in the last year was $376. return out of detroit and it was in the high season in february.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Check and see if your prices are still accurate.